Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
No offense to any other province but I think that Ontario is by far the best at producing hockey players. The development and talent level here is really good. There were also many kids that got passed over because its so hard to choose a team.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
the population of ontario is also over 13 million, which adds up to about 38% of canada's population...of course they will have more high end talent, they have tons more kids

Sideline

May 23, 2004
MacKinnon's a natural play-maker so he's not going to look his best without guys to pass to.

TobiasE

Oct 17, 2010
Jordan Subban played decent. The only bad part about his game would be that he took two stupid penalties.

I have watched a lot of minor midget hockey in Ontario over the season and Subban is known for that, although superb ooffensive game he does have a discipline issue.

How was Nurse on the back end if you noticed, I believe him to be a better D than Subban, with his all around game.

Did Ritchie stand out? Most likely #1 overall this draft.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
well I was at Ontario vs Nova Scotia and BC vs Quebec

Ontario - I have to say Max Domie did not impress me the least, I was expecting a lot more from him, especially against a team like Nova Scotia he should have actually stood out but he is an ok player but nothing special, Darnell Nurse is very good defender, to me Nurse, Baptiste, Subban, Malletta were the best players on Ontario...Ritchie IMO was not great at all, another guy I was expecting A LOT more from.

Nova Scotia - Some might not think Nathan lived up to the hype and though he did not get a point, people have to look at there is nothing else of Nova Scotia, and Nathan is double teammed the whole game with not too many players to help open up any ice so he is always covered...that said he played a great game, had about 8 or 9 shots for NS, had 3 great chances hit the post a few times, he was very veyr good he made two chances all by himself........Bronson Beaton was also good for Nova Scotia...he is number 91.

BC - Needham IMO is not great, very weak player, was invisable most of the game....Curtis Lazar is very good he reminds me of a young Ryan Kesler, he is excelllent not a wow prospect but does everything right and gets the job done and has a high skill level.....Reinhart is going to be a great power forward in the WHL, this guy is money in front and creates A LOT down low, Petan is the most offensivly gifted player on BC by far, the guy is shift and crafty and creates with excitment every shift.

Quebec - Duclair is amazing, fast, exciting, great shooting.....the goalie Desrosiers was also amazing in the game I though, very very fasst reflexes, excellent acrobatic ability...the guy IMO is a future NHL goalie.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
For me, Nurse seemed to be the best D out there. The line of Domi, Ritchie, and Baptiste didnt stand out to me at all but didnt play bad my any means. Domi had some nice dangles but he tried to dangle when he should have shot in 1 or 2 occurences.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Also Scoutman, I think Bronson beaton's skating has improved a lot, or at least it looked that way tonight. Do you agree? i know he still has work to do but hes on the right track

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Also Scoutman, I think Bronson beaton's skating has improved a lot, or at least it looked that way tonight. Do you agree? i know he still has work to do but hes on the right track

Zach Taylor was good for Nova Scotia...yes Beaton is improved skating he is a great player...look for him to be a 1st round pick in the QMJHL draft for sure, Beaton has great hands wtih the puck, excellent vision and passing, excellent IQ, skating is improved a lot still needs work though.

Ritchie I found just did not have the offensive creativity in front and did not dominate in front at all. Domie your right tried too much, I found him weak on the puck and was taking bad shots, he seemed when pressuered he would panic big time and cough up the puck...Baptiste was ok, he was the better of the 3...I did not find Ontario a power house team....they looked OK but I thought BC was better than them by far and so is Quebec.

Quebec like i said Duclair is great, Drouin as well was right up there with Duclair.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
yea quebec and bc was a very good game. I also thought lazar was very good in that game along with druoin and duclair. Personally, I thought Mackinnon was great. He pretty much carried his team to only being down 1-0 half way through the game and had multiple scoring chances including great rushes that led to him beating defenders in multiple and unpredictable ways. Too bad he hit the crossbar on that one rush that would've been a beautiful goal.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
For me, Nurse seemed to be the best D out there. The line of Domi, Ritchie, and Baptiste didnt stand out to me at all but didnt play bad my any means. Domi had some nice dangles but he tried to dangle when he should have shot in 1 or 2 occurences.

Your right, that line did not seem to generate to much, but it was also the first game that they played.
Will be interesting to see how they develop together as the tournament players out. Myself, I would not have put Domi and Baptiste on the same line, they both seem to be at their best with the puck.
Either way, a positive for Ontario and they move forward to tomorrow.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
How were the pools drawn? Pretty unbalanced if you ask me.

The pools were drawn from the 2007 Canada Games results. 1,4,5,8 in Pool A. 2,3,6,7 in Pool B. 9,10,11,12 in Pool C (relegation pool).

As for the games, went to the BC-QUE game and the ONT-NS game. Both were very entertaining with a ton of skill on both sides. The refs were suspect in both games, but didn't take too much away from the game.

The BC-QUE game was a back and forth effort, with both teams showing tons of grit.

I was very impressed with BC. I didn't expect this game to be very close but they definitely proved me wrong. There was a point where they were up 2-1 and on the PP, when Reinhart got robbed by Desrosiers in close, then QUE came back up ice to score a shorty to tie it up. If BC scores on that PP to got up 3-1 they might win this contest, IMO.

Top players for BC:
- Sam Reinhart (F) --> Best player on the ice. Beauty tip, has great hands and made some great passes as well. (2+1)
- Curtis Lazar (F) --> Had some great passes even outside of his two assists. Showed good vision. Scored in the Shootout. (1+2)
- Nic Petan (F) --> Showed an aggressive style despite his small frame. Scored a big goal to start the game off. (1+1)
- Jackson Houck (F) --> Big body, played physical. Made some nice passes outside of the assist that he picked up on the 3rd goal. (0+1)

I expected a little more out of QUE as a team, but their individual talent did not disappoint. They showed a lot of character scoring shortly after BC on two different occasions. Scored a key shorthanded goal that allowed them back in the game.

Top players for QUE:
- Philippe Desrosiers (G) --> Kept his team in the game early. Made some incredible saves. Top performer for QUE, they don't win this game without him.
- Anthony Duclair (F) --> Great first period but faded after that. Showed some great speed, and had flashes. Good offensive IQ. Scored a nice goal in the Shootout. (0+0)
- Jonathan Drouin (F) --> Showed some nice hands, and was physical despite his small frame. (1+1)
- Maxime Gravel (D) --> Solid. Didn't overwhelm you with offense, but was very smart. (0+1)
- Jeremy Gregoire (F) --> Great all-around game. Scored the massive SH goal that goal his team back in the game. (1+0)

Now onto the NS-ONT game. First I'd just like to point out the atmosphere at the Metro centre (during the first period) was great. Made it a tough place to play for ONT until they got the lead. The ice got pretty soft at this point (3 games during the day), but both teams got used to the conditions. NS was outmatched for the most part, but played ONT very tight for the first period.

Top players for NS:
- Jacob Fancy (G) --> Kept the game very close. Made a big save on Nosad who tried to go high glove. One weak goal, but the game could have been worst if not for him.
- Nathan Mackinnon (F) --> Was physical and showed some great flashes, especially one-on-one. But seemed frustrated for the most part, got shut down by ONT's defence, look to see what he can do against BC tomorrow. Was still the best player for NS by far. (0+0).

ONT was tougher to read. Didn't play a very good game for the first two periods. Dominated the third. Looked like what they are, an all-star team. They need to find some more chemistry moving forward.

Top players for ONT:
- The David Perklin - Bo Horvat - Jordan Maletta line --> Great line for ONT. Only one to find much chemistry. Combined for 5 points, should stay together for the tournament.
- Jordan Subban (D) --> Solid first period, though not a lot after. Massive hit in the first which is great to see for his size. (0+0)
- Darnell Nurse (D) --> Solid. Very calm with the puck, very vocal on the ice as well. (0+1)
- Max Domi (F) --> Tons of skill on this kid. Great hands, and is always looking to make something happen in the offensive zone. Probably over-handled the puck at times. (0+1)

Overall good first day, will be at ALB-NB and QUE-ONT tomorrow.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Did anyone see the NB/Manitoba game today??

And for tomorrow i cant decide to go to ont/quebec or to go watch forsberg play, what should i watch?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Depends what you're looking for and if you'll see Forsberg another time.

I'm going to the QUE-ONT game, because it should be a better game. Watching NB-SAK on Monday. Will also watch SAK play at least once more to watch Forsberg.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
yea i probably won't get to see SASK in round robin unless I go tomorrow, which means no guarantee i see them at all because I want to see all of the NS games

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Also does anyone know if Luc Deschênes has been suspended for tomorrow's game against ALB? Looking at the box score it says he got a game misconduct for checking to the head.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Really like from team quebec #24 Simon Desbiens today. every time he was on the ice he made something happen. love his physical game and good speed as well.

ontario vs Quebec tomorrow should be good as well

turchi

Sep 14, 2010
I watched the game online. From the camera angle, Nova Scotia looked small compared to Ontario. There was no doubt that Ontario were much stronger on the puck in all zones. MacKinnon looked frustrated that he was not getting the puck when he was skating through the neutral zone. Probably at Shattuck, those passes would be completed. I thought the score would have been more lopsided had it not been for Fancy in nets for NS. He made several key saves and kept it close.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Anyone see Forsberg for SK? I didn't get a chance to see.

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
Saw both games yesterday and would have to say the BC vs Quebec game was the highlight of the day.

BC standouts
Sam Reinhart (F) Clearly the stand out player of the game and gets three stars. Fast and was able to catch Quebec flat footed at times.
Curtis Lazar (F) I was expecting more, from the hype heard, but played well.

Quebec
Size and strenght domination. Shows that size is a major factor for teams.
At times the team, looked fatigue especially in third period, felt they overplayed some of the key players, and this resulted in the tie at the end of regular game play.

Player standouts.
Philippe Desrosiers (G) My goodness, this kid was amazing, duid allow I felt two softies. -Top performer for QUE, they don't win this game without him, I would agree
- Jeremy Gregoire (F) Solid game.

Game NS vs ONT
Player that stood out.
Jacob Fancy (G) If it was not for this goalie, the score would have been a land slide for ONT. Kept the game very close. Allowed one very weak goal.
Nathan Mackinnon (F) disappointed, was totally neutralized and very one dimensial players. Did have one great chance, but couldn't finish.

ONT played well, chemistry wasn't the best, but dominated the third. Funny how one of the D players stayed on for about 5 min straight.

ONT standouts
David Perklin- finally this kid has come to rise above, I have always liked him as a player and just keeps getting better.
Jordan Subban (D) just like his brother, flashy
Max Domi (F) neturalized, sure this was just an off game,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad