Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

gamerman44

Jan 17, 2005
nfld
Being from Newfoundland, Nathan Yetman has sparked alot of buzz as a '96 born, brother of Mark and Brad who played in the Q. Was checking out the schedule today, for PEI or any team in that category to make it to the final they got a LONGGGG road to get there having to cross over in the big boy division.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Being from Newfoundland, Nathan Yetman has sparked alot of buzz as a '96 born, brother of Mark and Brad who played in the Q. Was checking out the schedule today, for PEI or any team in that category to make it to the final they got a LONGGGG road to get there having to cross over in the big boy division.

Yetman is ok, I still question his offensive upside, he is a hard worker, good two way player, plays with grit.

Hynes is the better offensive 96 on the team, he just needs to work on skating

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
keep me posted on how Luc Dechenes & Nathan Mackinnon perform?

Without a doubt. I think everyone will be having an eye on Mackinnon over the week, starting Saturday. I've also made sure I get to see Luc Dechenes play a few games. A '97 playing against some of the best '95s in Canada should be interesting.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Without a doubt. I think everyone will be having an eye on Mackinnon over the week, starting Saturday. I've also made sure I get to see Luc Dechenes play a few games. A '97 playing against some of the best '95s in Canada should be interesting.

Is Dechesnes only at the game because of his weak province? I mean realistically would this kid even have a remote chance of making say Alberta, Ontario or BC?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Is Dechesnes only at the game because of his weak province? I mean realistically would this kid even have a remote chance of making say Alberta, Ontario or BC?

I can't speak for the other two provinces, but I don't think he would make Ontario. This said, I've never seen him play before this weekend. The reason I say this is because Aaron Ekblad is an incredible '96 born defensemen, who has been playing up for the past few seasons and would be a top 10 pick this year pretty easily, but has been left off of Team Ontario.

This isn't a knock on the kid because I, much like many others, are excited to see how he'll preform. It's just provinces like Ontario have so much talent, they've left kids like Mitch Dempsey and Nicholas Halagian who are top 15 players come May off their main roster.

That being said, looking forward to watching him play Alberta on Sunday.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Nice. I will get to watch bits and pieces.

Which of the 2 games should I watch/features better players?

hockeyfan2009

Oct 9, 2008
No need to choose ... you can watch both games at the same time - they open up in adjacent frames on the same window.

Edit - but no sound from the metro centre game from some reason.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No need to choose ... you can watch both games at the same time - they open up in adjacent frames on the same window.

Edit - but no sound from the metro centre game from some reason.

But which game features better prospects?

I don't hardly have time to watch one of them, let alone both :laugh:

gamerman44

Jan 17, 2005
nfld
PEI winning handily over Yukon 10-1 and Newfoundland beating NWT 7-1, line of Kielly (96 born) Macmillan and Morrison did most of the damage for team PEI, while it was more spread out for team NL

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
1-1 between Quebec and BC in the 2nd period on TSN2

player who caught my eyes so far

-Simon Desbiens (qc) F best player on the ice, love to play a physical game
-Anthony Duclair (qc) F had a good first period and you can see he's a serious talent.
-Nic Petan (bc) F Scored a real nice goal
-Sam Reinhart (BC) F best player for BC hands down

Last edited:

TobiasE

Oct 17, 2010
does anyone know if the games online are going to be archived? I cant watch the ON vs NS game at 630 but really want to see it. Any ideas?

oh and I am really impressed with the Quebec tender, very good movement, definitely an elite goalie

DwightKSchrute

Feb 11, 2009
PEI has a couple players that might catch your eye;
1) Nathan Ellis( younger brother of Morgan Ellis-captain of Cape Breton Screaming Eagles- drafted by Montreal 117
2) Willie Gaudet
3) Kameron Kielly( ripping up the local Bantam AAA league)
4)Thomas Stavert
5) John Young

mhiggins27

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
www.twitter.com
Just got home from the NS/ON game. As expected, Ontario dominated pretty much the entire game. Nova Scotia as a team looked absolutely terrible. The puck was in their zone most of the game, and all they could seem to manage to do once they got the puck was ice it. Nathan Mackinnon really stood out, though. He was by far the best player on the ice for Nova Scotia, got about four great scoring chances in the game, and hit the post twice. He has EXPLOSIVE speed, it's just a shame he didn't have a great team to help him out. Nathan seemed to go at it with Subban a lot.

Jordan Subban played decent. The only bad part about his game would be that he took two stupid penalties.

PinchedNerve

I didn't think MacKinnon matched the hype tonight. He had flashes where he looked like a stand out, once in particular on the pp where he deked out the D and cut across the crease but couldn't bury it, but I thought he also looked disengaged at points, floated a little bit and got outmuscled at times. Like I said, there's definite skill there, but I don't think he brought his best game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad