Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
B.C. beats Nova Scotia 8-3. B.C. is a great skating team and really plays well together considering they're not very familliar with each other.

Mackinnon has good size, good skater and good hands, but he really looked disinterested out there. Was getting stripped of the pcuk rather easily and didn't look to have much jump in his step. I think this could just be a matter of frustration considering he doesn't have some of the top flight prospects to play with, like some of the stronger provinces do.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Saw part of the 2nd and part of the 3rd. BC is pretty impressive. Quick skating team.

That Italian kid, number 9 or something was really good for BC.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
to follow up gary i thought mackinnon was the best player on the ice (though frustrated) and lazar was a close 2nd. Reinhart and lazar were deadly vs ns because of lazars board play and reinhart "big body presence" (pierre) in front. on the back end taylor looked good along with nikkel and #2 on BC (ek-something?)

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
1-0 Quebec vs team ontario after 1 period

Guillaume Gauthier has Qc goal.

didnt see much of Anthony Duclair and MAx Domi so far. not much flow to the game compared to yesterday game between QC and BC

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
I have now seen NS/Ont, Que/BC and NS/BC. IMO, MacKinnon has shown the most talent of anyone from those four teams. He plays a complete game and makes something happen almost every time he touches the puck. Just an incredible skater, quick hard shot, very good stickhandler and passer. Also plays a physical game. He's a complete package with huge upside. I'm puzzled how anyone can watch that kid for a whole game and be 'disappointed' or not see the obvious ability.

For Ontario:
-Darnell Nurse was easily their best player. I really like his presence and seems to be a pretty good all-around package. Should be a stud.
-Max Domi clearly has some skill but is very selfish with the puck. Makes me wonder about his vision. Is a very fluid skater and has nice, soft hands. Good wrist shot.
-Nick Ritchie was completely invisible. I was very disappointed. Hopefully it was just an off day

Quebec:
-Desrosiers was awesome in net. Love the way he moves in the crease.
-Anthony Duclair is also very smooth out there.
-Anthony DeLuca is one player who hasn't been mentioned. Not sure how much NHL potential he has but will be a great major junior player.

BC
-Curtis Lazar had a good game vs. Quebec but was even better againt NS. Was their best player in the game. This kid has a really bright future.
-Ditto for Sam Reinhart. Just seems to have a nose for the net and has exceptional hockey sense. He's gonna be a beauty.
-Nic Petan played well but he's a midget
-Matt Needham was very ordinary again today. Kind of disappointed.
-One player who surprised me was d-man Kyle Burroughs. Had 1G 4A today. Nice hands.

NS
-The only other players worth mentioning were Zach Taylor on defence and Ryan Fancy in goal. Could be some potential there.

Would love to hear from anyone who watched Alex Forsberg.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
2-1 Quebec after the 2nd.

Subban is having a great game, and scored a beautiful short handed goal. Best defenseman on the ice so far. Domi can't seem to penetrate the Quebec D at all. They're doing a great job at keeping him on the perimeter. Ritchie out of the game for hitting from behind.

Duclair is very impressive. Beautiful skater, great puck handler, and terrific hockey sense. Has been the best player I have seen so far. Deluca has wonderful hands and has made a few Ontario players look silly with his moves.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Quebec wins 3-2 in a shootout (2 goals to 1). Domi and Drouin scored absolutely gorgeous goals. Duclair scored as well in the shootout. Garlent and Moutrey missed for Ontario.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
Duclair had a nice goal also. I was surprised Subban didn't get to shoot in the shootout especially with him scoring the two goals.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
whoever said Quebec had the best goalie in the tournament was right on. Last night Desrosier was great and tonight Belanger was even more awesome with 46sv.

Subban was team ontario best player. man he can really fly & has the same intensity/enthusiast as his bro PK. Was expecting more out of Domi to be honest, heard lot of hype but he didnt really standout in those first 2 game of team ontario. (outside of his shootout goal)

Drouin & Domi both had sick shootout goal. good call on Deluca "Garyboy", he's only 5"7 but he's close to 190 and he build like a tank. great great hands as he show in that game in one particular sequence were he deke around 2 ontario player pretty easily and he also love to throw his weight around. he's going to make a solid qmjhl players.

as an qmjhl follower, i hope both Drouin & Duclair play in the league next year and don't go the ncaa route because their 2 very good talent

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Missed the NS/BC game. Who scored the three goals for NS? And did Mackinnon score any points (goals or assists)

Mackinnon scored a garbage goal, and was the biggest threat for NS the whole game..
#8 Mcneil and 24 Murphy, I think scored the other two, neither were overly flashy.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
as an qmjhl follower, i hope both Drouin & Duclair play in the league next year and don't go the ncaa route because their 2 very good talent

Are they leaning towards the NCAA? You figure those two would be very early picks in the first round, based on their skill set.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Are they leaning towards the NCAA? You figure those two would be very early picks in the first round, based on their skill set.

yeaa their both leaning the ncaa but it still earlier, West Island kids tend to go the ncaa route rather than the qmjhl. their teammate in Lac St-Louis Michael Matheson just commit to Boston College for 2012 so im sure BC is keeping an eye on those two.

if both would commit to the Q both would go high in the draft. Duclair likely #2 after MacKinnon and Drouin likely top10

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
yeaa their both leaning the ncaa but it still earlier, West Island kids tend to go the ncaa route rather than the qmjhl. their teammate in Lac St-Louis Michael Matheson just commit to Boston College for 2012 so im sure BC is keeping an eye on those two.

if both would commit to the Q both would go high in the draft. Duclair likely #2 after MacKinnon and Drouin likely top10

The way I see it...the top 3 is pretty much set...MacKinnon, Duclair and Drouin...in that order...after that its a free for all.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
B.C. beats Nova Scotia 8-3. B.C. is a great skating team and really plays well together considering they're not very familliar with each other.

Mackinnon has good size, good skater and good hands, but he really looked disinterested out there. Was getting stripped of the pcuk rather easily and didn't look to have much jump in his step. I think this could just be a matter of frustration considering he doesn't have some of the top flight prospects to play with, like some of the stronger provinces do.

Nice debut for Comrie, shutout, what more could he do!

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Thanks for the info. Based on how good these two look, I think a QMJHL team will do what they need to do in order to get them to play Major Junior next year. It seems more and more top flight Canadian prospects have gone back on verbal commitments after a meeting with the perspective teams organization. I think these two talents will be no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad