Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
I'm not saying Domi isn't a very good player,
when you raise the point of stats, you have to look at how much ice time he gets vs other players, who the line mates are, does he get pp.

what I am saying is, even when he played team ontario in kitchener and with his midget team, he does not score points against the betters teams (marlies, jrc, and when he played team ontario Team OMHA)

I hope Team Ontario gives some of the other players equal ice time, but we know that is not going to happen

good luck anyways

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Baptiste apparently is going. He plays physical and may need to tone that down if he is still hurting, but his best assets are his wheels, they they should be in fine shape. Good chance of seeing him and Domi together, hopefully with Ritchie. Differing skills sets, but with a lot of talent, that could be the dominant line in the tourney.

That's good to hear. He's a great talent.

Not sure if all three of those guys will play together, seems like front-loading it to me. Though wouldn't be surprised on the PP for it to happen. Domi with Baptiste and Cianfrone with Ritchie (they have great chemistry), is a better way to balance it out, IMO.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Does anyone know what kind of television coverage they will be having for this tournament in Canada? I know when the 86's were playing in it years ago they had a majority of the games.

hockeyfan2009

Oct 9, 2008
TSN is carrying the BC-QC game saturday afternoon; a quarter-final game on wednesday and the medal games on friday ... pretty light coverage.

BellAliant is webcasting all the games (I think).

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
TSN is carrying the BC-QC game saturday afternoon; a quarter-final game on wednesday and the medal games on friday ... pretty light coverage.

BellAliant is webcasting all the games (I think).

TSN or TSN2?

Have a link for the webcast?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I'm not saying Domi isn't a very good player,
when you raise the point of stats, you have to look at how much ice time he gets vs other players, who the line mates are, does he get pp.

what I am saying is, even when he played team ontario in kitchener and with his midget team, he does not score points against the betters teams (marlies, jrc, and when he played team ontario Team OMHA)

I hope Team Ontario gives some of the other players equal ice time, but we know that is not going to happen

good luck anyways

As for his MM team DMF, HE is the offense. They have zero depth up front and rely on Nurse and Bateman (when healthy) to provide offensively.

As for when he played on Team GTHL, in six games he put up 15 points against the best in Ontario. Thats five more points than the next highest scorer. And you're right he didn't score against OMHA, but no one scored in those two games. In both games Team GTHL had 20 PIM or more, or over half the game in the box. A combined total 3 goals were scored in the two games between both teams (the others were a SO and EN).

He's my call to lead the tournament in scoring.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
As for his MM team DMF, HE is the offense. They have zero depth up front and rely on Nurse and Bateman (when healthy) to provide offensively.

As for when he played on Team GTHL, in six games he put up 15 points against the best in Ontario. Thats five more points than the next highest scorer. And you're right he didn't score against OMHA, but no one scored in those two games. In both games Team GTHL had 20 PIM or more, or over half the game in the box. A combined total 3 goals were scored in the two games between both teams (the others were a SO and EN).

He's my call to lead the tournament in scoring.

Exactly. I was at those games, and they where extremely close. The GTHL had to kill off many penalties, and where not in a position to be strong offensively.

Other players on Team Ontario did not put up the points in critical games either, but we do not see the same negative posts about them as we do Domi.

In my opinion, anyone who can look at Domi's performance at the U16's, (and by looking at it I mean watching in person), and find a negative is simply looking for negatives.

Either way, he and his teamates have a great opportunity to show Canada their abilities.

mhiggins27

Nov 23, 2009
Halifax, NS
www.twitter.com
I'll be going to the Nova Scotia/Ontario game on Saturday, so I'll post my opinion on how everyone played Saturday night. Really looking forward to seeing Nathan MacKinnon and Jordan Subban in particular.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I'll be going to the Nova Scotia/Ontario game on Saturday, so I'll post my opinion on how everyone played Saturday night. Really looking forward to seeing Nathan MacKinnon and Jordan Subban in particular.

Looks like a couple posters from HF are going to be at that game, it'll be good to get a few opinions from everyone, I'm sure.

It's too bad that Group B only plays out of the Dartmouth Sportsplex, would have been more convenient if all groups got to play a game there.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
yea the scheduling is really annoying, there is always 2 games going on simultaneously which makes it impossible to go to more than half of the round robin games

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
OK first off as I said in an early post Domi is Talented.

You need to take things in perspective, and I love the mod threat.

Like I said before Domi is ineffective against higher caliber teams (Marlies, team Ontario, Honey Baked, JRC). I was at the Kitchener tournament and that was a COMPLETE JOKE. Congrats to OMHA for taking the lime light away.

If any ONE of the other Team Ontario players were to get the ice time and Power Play he gets (40 plus minutes) I have confidence that they would put up numbers like he does.

My comment reflects that I am hoping team Ontario will give equal ice time to other players, but we all know that is not going to happen, and I believe some of the other players should be commented on with how talented they are as well.

I will be there too, so I am looking forward to seeing several games.

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
I forgot to mention that Domi Always gets power play as well and thats an unfair advantage to stats, take away all of those goals, and by the way there were several assists that he was pointed for and wasn't necessarily the play maker if you get what i mean.

Now I will bring up another point. Look at Taveras, played up as a kid with the Marlies, and look at what he is doing on an average NHL team.

Now tell me, do you honestly believe that Domi isn't going to have the best line mates with Team Ontario. Please we all now that politics will play into ensuring this will happen

Call a spade a spade

lol....

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I forgot to mention that Domi Always gets power play as well and thats an unfair advantage to stats, take away all of those goals, and by the way there were several assists that he was pointed for and wasn't necessarily the play maker if you get what i mean.

Now I will bring up another point. Look at Taveras, played up as a kid with the Marlies, and look at what he is doing on an average NHL team.

Now tell me, do you honestly believe that Domi isn't going to have the best line mates with Team Ontario. Please we all now that politics will play into ensuring this will happen

Call a spade a spade

lol....

Hes the second best player in Ontario, not sure how that is politics by having your best players play together.

Either way, we can agree to disagree. This thread does not have to be about any individual player, but the teams that are performing.

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
disagree that he is the best player in Ontario right now, but agree he seems to be the topic for the moment,

lets move on to someone else

TobiasE

Oct 17, 2010
In my opinion as well he is the second best player in Ontario at the 1995 age, Nick Ritchie is the only one better. This could be argued with guys like Baptiste but I think Domi is #2. Just my humble, honest, non-biased opinion.

I have seen on other forums this kid get chirped and people say he is overrated. I can almost guarantee he has put up the most points in Ontario than any other '95. His name will always bring other parents and fans to chirp because of the fact his jersey says Domi,, if this was a regular kid from Mississauga he would still be the 2nd best in Ontario.

Not saying it is the fact with you personally but parents have got to stop hating on other kids when they achieve something and stop saying this kid is getting the way paved for him because he is working as hard as any other player to get where he is. And if he is on the #1 line it is because he has the skill to compliment guys like Ritchie Cianfrone.
End of discussion

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
In my opinion as well he is the second best player in Ontario at the 1995 age, Nick Ritchie is the only one better. This could be argued with guys like Baptiste but I think Domi is #2. Just my humble, honest, non-biased opinion.

End of discussion

If the argument is who will make a better OHL player, I';d probably agree. For a minor midget though, Domi is as good as it gets in Ontario. His numbers may seem inflated from beating up on some really poor teams, but watching him on the ice, its obvious he's no ... Tie Domi ;) Hey, these two played together at the u16 camp, and Domi had almost twice as many points as Ritchie, facing the exact same competition. Ciafrone had 1/5 the number of points that Domi had. I'll be one of the first to say stats do not mean everything, but I'll not ignore them either. Domi and Baptiste were the only ones that blew away the rest of their teammates in that get together, and that speaks volumes.

Ritchie will likely go higher in the OHL draft, if for no other reason that a team gets him for a year longer due to his birthday. 6 inches and 40 pounds means a lot too. But the U16 tourny is not about who will make the better OHL player, but who will bring it now. I'd be mildly surprised if Domi did not lead Ontario in scoring (especially if Baptiste is not 100%).

TobiasE

Oct 17, 2010
If the argument is who will make a better OHL player, I';d probably agree. For a minor midget though, Domi is as good as it gets in Ontario.

Very well put, couldn't agree more. Kind of what I was trying to get at lol I ramble sometimes

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009

I have seen on other forums this kid get chirped and people say he is overrated. I can almost guarantee he has put up the most points in Ontario than any other '95. His name will always bring other parents and fans to chirp because of the fact his jersey says Domi,, if this was a regular kid from Mississauga he would still be the 2nd best in Ontario.

Not saying it is the fact with you personally but parents have got to stop hating on other kids when they achieve something and stop saying this kid is getting the way paved for him because he is working as hard as any other player to get where he is. And if he is on the #1 line it is because he has the skill to compliment guys like Ritchie Cianfrone.
End of discussion

Took my thoughts and put them in much better words then I could have!

If the argument is who will make a better OHL player, I';d probably agree. For a minor midget though, Domi is as good as it gets in Ontario. His numbers may seem inflated from beating up on some really poor teams, but watching him on the ice, its obvious he's no ... Tie Domi ;) Hey, these two played together at the u16 camp, and Domi had almost twice as many points as Ritchie, facing the exact same competition. Ciafrone had 1/5 the number of points that Domi had. I'll be one of the first to say stats do not mean everything, but I'll not ignore them either. Domi and Baptiste were the only ones that blew away the rest of their teammates in that get together, and that speaks volumes.

Ritchie will likely go higher in the OHL draft, if for no other reason that a team gets him for a year longer due to his birthday. 6 inches and 40 pounds means a lot too. But the U16 tourny is not about who will make the better OHL player, but who will bring it now. I'd be mildly surprised if Domi did not lead Ontario in scoring (especially if Baptiste is not 100%).

Great Post. Glad to see im not the only one that thinks that way.

Either way lets move forward.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

UGH! This game needs to be on TSN 2. Was really hoping to see how Mackinnon looks against Ontario's best.

Enjoy the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->