Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Goal differential in the games between the 3 teams.

Manitoba: +3
New Brunswick - Even
Saskatchewan: -3

New Brunswick got ranked 4th in the pool though? They have to play in the 4B vs 2C qualification game.

Although you're formula does make sense it appears it isn't how the rankings were determined. I can't seem to find it on the canada games website either.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Darnell Nurse - I find him good but like an OHL scout told a friend of mine and I agree he is like Jason Doig he is super skilled but just does not show you all his skill, he is solid but leaves you wanting more from him...I think Subban becomes a better pick in the OHL than Nurse....

Domi - I do not like Domi much especially if a team picks him 1st overall...small, needs strength, tries way too much, does not create a ton of offense, just makes a lot of moves that make him look good.

Ritchie - Not impressed with Ritchie, he is strong, big and physical and the good stops there, his offensive awareness is kind of below par, has trouble getting open for shots, and seems to have trouble thinking fast on the ice.

VLajkov - he is ok, moves well, and is solid nothing special

Bateman - small, not creating much here and average on defense.

Malletta - this guy is the best forward on ontario I find, good speed, an excellent shot, creates out there, this guy has all the tools to be a star.

Subban - I think he will be just as good as his brother, the guy is an amazing skater, great hands, and a great shot and passing, his defensive game neeeds to improve but wow this guy will be a point per game defender in the OHL.

Nurse - He's been great so far this tournament. Not overly offensive, but is bringing a more physical side which is great to see. He's still very raw at this point and will no doubt play 4 seasons in the OHL.

Domi - Is one of the most skilled players in the tournament, bar none. I agree he's tried to do too much (much like QUE's Duclair), but he is just so strong on the puck and has incredible hands. Hopefully he picks up his play in the playoffs.

Ritchie - Poor first game, solid second before he got the awful call against him and was very good in the third game I thought. Against BC he showed how strong he really is, especially along the boards. Scored a great goal in tight to show off his hands. Like Nurse, very raw at this point.

Vlajkov/Varga - This paring has obviously been told to shut down the opposition and have been doing a great job at it. Zero offense, but I don't really expect any at this tournament from them.

Bateman - I barely even have him in the top 10 come this May. Needs work in the defensive zone, but shows very good anticipation and can still be a PP QB in the OHL, IMO.

Maletta - Very impressed with his game so far. Complete package, good to see him out of St. Kitts' trapping system.

Subban - What can you say about this kid. Been the best defencemen thus far I've seen. Size and defensive play is the only thing he is needing to improve at this point. Can have a Ryan Murphy-like impact, IMO.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Does anyone know how the point system works for this tournament?

It's odd to see Ontario placed as 1st in Pool A with 2 wins and a SO loss, over Quebec with 3 SO wins. A regulation win must be worth more than a SO win, or they have it wrong on the Hockey Canada website. I could also be missing something.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010

It's odd to see Ontario placed as 1st in Pool A with 2 wins and a SO loss, over Quebec with 3 SO wins. A regulation win must be worth more than a SO win, or they have it wrong on the Hockey Canada website. I could also be missing something.

Regulation win = 3 points
SO win = 2 points
SO loss = 1 point

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

That's truly bizarre. Go 3 and 0 and finish second?

jablueblue

Jul 22, 2009
Mackinnon lit it up against nlfd today. Had a goal and an assist or two heading into the third when he scored two beauty goals, going bar down on a 2-1 and picking another corner on a breakaway.

goodfellas

Jan 29, 2011
Mackinnon was truly dominant today. He is so fast and has a pretty good shot with quick release. NS sit him for the second half of the third, they have a big game tomorrow against Ontario and they will need him at his best for sure...

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
That's truly bizarre. Go 3 and 0 and finish second?

Not really. This is why the NHL should implement the three point system. Winning in a shoot-out/OT is not as good as winning in regulation. I am bias but I feel Ontario got exactly what they deserve.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
New Brunswick got ranked 4th in the pool though? They have to play in the 4B vs 2C qualification game.

Although you're formula does make sense it appears it isn't how the rankings were determined. I can't seem to find it on the canada games website either.

This is what I think must have happened. They used goal differential in games between the 3 teams to determine 2nd place. Manitoba wins this and comes in 2nd. They then used who won the game between Saskatchewan and New Brunswick to determine who came in 3rd. Saskatchewan won that game so they come in 3rd and New Brunwick comes in 4th.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Looking forward to see what he can do against a much stronger opponent in Ontario. Hopefully he has a better showing than Saturday.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Not really. This is why the NHL should implement the three point system. Winning in a shoot-out/OT is not as good as winning in regulation. I am bias but I feel Ontario got exactly what they deserve.

I understand the reasoning, but going 3 and 0, and finishing second to a team you beat. A little backwards.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
This is what I think must have happened. They used goal differential in games between the 3 teams to determine 2nd place. Manitoba wins this and comes in 2nd. They then used who won the game between Saskatchewan and New Brunswick to determine who came in 3rd. Saskatchewan won that game so they come in 3rd and New Brunwick comes in 4th.

That makes sense now. Thank you.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I understand the reasoning, but going 3 and 0, and finishing second to a team you beat. A little backwards.

In a short tourney it can come out a bit odd. I would really prefer to see this implemented at the NHL level though, it would make the last 5 minutes of a tie game interesting rather than a snoozefest it usually is.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Sounds like Jarrett Fontaine has played well for the Saskies today. He's a third round WHL pick by the PG Cougars FYI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad