Canada Winter Games - prospects, thoughts, etc.

Miller4Gold

Mar 5, 2010
Buffalo
Wow. I can only say positive things about him? It WAS a selfish play whether you want to admit it or not. I can't believe there is a person who was watching that game and did not notice that he does not like to pass the puck. The fact that you assume things is rediculous. Try not putting words in other peoples mouths. I know for a fact I would have said nothing if he passed there because that was the correct play.

So Domi works hard, steals the puck feet from the net, scores, and he is wrong for doing it? Common man. I agree from reading some posts, poeple look for reasons to hate on the player, which is my opinion.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Miller- It was TWO different plays. He made an awesome play on the first. A selfish play on the second. What is so complicated about this?

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I think the issue is that most think it was a good play overall.

Either way, we wont change each others minds, so no point in dragging it out.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Just got back from the ONT-NS game, a solid effort by both teams. First, as I said after the last ONT-NS game, the attendance and atmosphere were great. I've never seen so many people watch a hockey game with 15 year olds playing before, it's great to see. It was a good game, though it could have been much better if not for some poor officiating during the first two periods. A few calls in particular led to two 5 on 3's for NS in the first 40 minutes, as well with a phantom interference call against MacKinnon going the other way. The refs haven't been very consistent this week and this game had that inconsistency.

Now onto the players to take note of:

Nathan MacKinnon - Great game from him despite the losing effort. Much better all around game than his previous against ONT, he was much more engaged tonight. Showed great hands, and that he is very strong on the puck. Looked his best when he was driving to the net and forcing ONT's defence to step up (made Bateman look silly on a few occasions), it's an aspect I'd like to see him do more of. Scored a nice goal on a 5 on 3, where it looked like he just decided to score. He's also got a great shot, but I'd like to see him hit the net more often.

Darnell Nurse - Great game tonight, despite two awful giveaways that could have led to goals against a stronger team. He showed a mean side of his games at points, and continued to be physical. Has been the most consistent player for Ontario.

Spencer Martin - After having his best game against B.C. this was probably his worst to date. Started off slow, giving up a weak goal and looked to be fighting the puck. That being said, the second half he was his usual self; incredibly calm and held onto the win for his team.

Jordan Subban - Was hot and cold tonight. Had a big goal from the point and showed off his big shot a few times during the game. He also showed how strong he is going up against big forwards despite his small frame. Didn't play his best defensively.

Adam Bateman - I think he's been pretty solid thus far this tournament, but tonight was not his best game. Made poor decisions with the puck and looked flat footed a few times.

Bryson Cianfrone - Showed why he's one of the smartest prospects in ONT tonight. Just thinks the game great and showed off his hands on a big SH goal.

David Perklin - A big body that is just so strong down-low. Has been great in both games against NS.

Nicholas Ritchie - Took two penalties, but I liked his game tonight. Showed a jump in his step and a few big bursts of speed. A heads up pass on Garlent's GWG. Despite being raw, he has so much potential at the next level.

Max Domi - Continues to display a great skill set. Did a lot more of the little things right, while trying to do less of it himself tonight. Every time I see him I'm amazed at how strong on the puck he is, despite being 5-8/5-9. Did a great job of stripping MacKinnon of a puck stopping a scoring chance, and also had a great individual effort to score and put the game away. Hope he continues to get better each game.

Hunter Garlent - I've been really surprised with this kid. Didn't expect him to make the team, but he's showing he deserves to be here and more. Had a nice pass on the SH goal, and is showing his smarts game in game out. Is a big piece for Team ONT right now.

Lastly, I hope MacKinnon somehow ends up in Halifax (unlikey, I know), so I can see him more than a few times a year.

Looking forward to QUE-ALB and BC-ONT tomorrow.

Hockeydman

Nov 25, 2010
Just got back from the ONT-NS game, a solid effort by both teams. First, as I said after the last ONT-NS game, the attendance and atmosphere were great. I've never seen so many people watch a hockey game with 15 year olds playing before, it's great to see. It was a good game, though it could have been much better if not for some poor officiating during the first two periods. A few calls in particular led to two 5 on 3's for NS in the first 40 minutes, as well with a phantom interference call against MacKinnon going the other way. The refs haven't been very consistent this week and this game had that inconsistency.

Now onto the players to take note of:

Nathan MacKinnon - Great game from him despite the losing effort. Much better all around game than his previous against ONT, he was much more engaged tonight. Showed great hands, and that he is very strong on the puck. Looked his best when he was driving to the net and forcing ONT's defence to step up (made Bateman look silly on a few occasions), it's an aspect I'd like to see him do more of. Scored a nice goal on a 5 on 3, where it looked like he just decided to score. He's also got a great shot, but I'd like to see him hit the net more often.

Darnell Nurse - Great game tonight, despite two awful giveaways that could have led to goals against a stronger team. He showed a mean side of his games at points, and continued to be physical. Has been the most consistent player for Ontario.

Spencer Martin - After having his best game against B.C. this was probably his worst to date. Started off slow, giving up a weak goal and looked to be fighting the puck. That being said, the second half he was his usual self; incredibly calm and held onto the win for his team.

Jordan Subban - Was hot and cold tonight. Had a big goal from the point and showed off his big shot a few times during the game. He also showed how strong he is going up against big forwards despite his small frame. Didn't play his best defensively.

Adam Bateman - I think he's been pretty solid thus far this tournament, but tonight was not his best game. Made poor decisions with the puck and looked flat footed a few times.

Bryson Cianfrone - Showed why he's one of the smartest prospects in ONT tonight. Just thinks the game great and showed off his hands on a big SH goal.

David Perklin - A big body that is just so strong down-low. Has been great in both games against NS.

Nicholas Ritchie - Took two penalties, but I liked his game tonight. Showed a jump in his step and a few big bursts of speed. A heads up pass on Garlent's GWG. Despite being raw, he has so much potential at the next level.

Max Domi - Continues to display a great skill set. Did a lot more of the little things right, while trying to do less of it himself tonight. Every time I see him I'm amazed at how strong on the puck he is, despite being 5-8/5-9. Did a great job of stripping MacKinnon of a puck stopping a scoring chance, and also had a great individual effort to score and put the game away. Hope he continues to get better each game.

Hunter Garlent - I've been really surprised with this kid. Didn't expect him to make the team, but he's showing he deserves to be here and more. Had a nice pass on the SH goal, and is showing his smarts game in game out. Is a big piece for Team ONT right now.

Lastly, I hope MacKinnon somehow ends up in Halifax (unlikey, I know), so I can see him more than a few times a year.

Looking forward to QUE-ALB and BC-ONT tomorrow.

You have got to be kidding me. I love it and LOL. Like how you throw the names of other kids in the mix but still Domi, Nurse had "amazing games." Both of those players had the puck stripped from them, and yes you are right Lucky NS wasn't able to finish or the outcome may have been different. Nurse again stayed on the ice for over 5 minutes straight. You didn't mention the other three D players on Ontario that had solid games, and Nurse physical, didn't see it at all. But yes I do agree Nurse is a very good player, but overall has been disappointing in the tournament. By far the best d player has been CONSISTENTLY subban, kid brings it every game so far, has pointed, physcial, shows great skill. Martin was a disaster tonight, and agree came around in mid second and third period. Like you comment on Garlent, Cianfrone, Perklins. Glad to see other kids are being given credit, its about time

Miller4Gold

Mar 5, 2010
Buffalo
You have got to be kidding me. I love it and LOL. Like how you throw the names of other kids in the mix but still Domi, Nurse had "amazing games." Both of those players had the puck stripped from them, and yes you are right Lucky NS wasn't able to finish or the outcome may have been different. Nurse again stayed on the ice for over 5 minutes straight. You didn't mention the other three D players on Ontario that had solid games, and Nurse physical, didn't see it at all. But yes I do agree Nurse is a very good player, but overall has been disappointing in the tournament. By far the best d player has been CONSISTENTLY subban, kid brings it every game so far, has pointed, physcial, shows great skill. Martin was a disaster tonight, and agree came around in mid second and third period. Like you comment on Garlent, Cianfrone, Perklins. Glad to see other kids are being given credit, its about time

If you want to have other players mentioned, then mention them. Someone posted that these guys are paying out of pocket and reporting for free on the tournament. Ripping them for posting their opinions is odd, they are at the games and paying to get there. I just thankful people do so, and if your unhappy, go there and post your own report.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
That play was a good example of Domi being selfish. You guys who said he was playing that way were telling the truth. He was behind the net and took a shot instead of passing to the open man.

This is by far one of the dumbest things I've ever read on HFboards. I was at the game and Domi picked 55 Taylors pocket pretty much at the top of the crease and put a backhand top shelf. There was no other Ontario player in sight, his team was changing at that point.

Very unbiased opinion as I am not that big on Domi from what I say. This play in particular was a great individual effort though.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
You people are absolutely crazy. I have acknowledged the goal was awesome. What do you want me to say?

That play was a good example of Domi being selfish. You guys who said he was playing that way were telling the truth. He was behind the net and took a shot instead of passing to the open man.

That was your first comment on the goal. I made mention as other have that he has not had the best tournament, but that individual play was great. Your follow up was

Wow. I can only say positive things about him? It WAS a selfish play whether you want to admit it or not. I can't believe there is a person who was watching that game and did not notice that he does not like to pass the puck. The fact that you assume things is rediculous. Try not putting words in other peoples mouths. I know for a fact I would have said nothing if he passed there because that was the correct play.

I think if you re-read the posts you will see why people are taking issue with what you have said.

We are talking about that specific play, one that you called Domi selfish when he scored.

Mentioning other plays is not relevant, we are talking about the goal.
We can agree to disagree, but it looks like alot of other people have an issue with it as well.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
That is the thing. I was NOT talking about the goal.

You still think I was talking about the goal. HE DID NOT DO ANYTHING WRONG ON THAT PLAY!!!!!!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO SAY THAT!!!!!!

Thats probably the confusion then.

What I read was that you said that he stripped the puck and should have passed instead of shooting. If that was mis-read, then no issues.

If thats not the case, then we can all move on.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga

I wrote about 10 different players at length, I'm sorry I didn't write about more. Vlajkov, Maletta and Horvat also had solid games/tournaments thus far. And unlike some people on this board, I try not to rip these kids on the internet, because well at 15 they are just kids. Constructive criticism is another thing, so sorry if you feel I'm not hard enough on them.

Nurse is playing in every situation against the best in Canada, because the coaches want him to. That speaks volumes to me. It's all about projection for the next level as opposed to right now which people sometimes forget.

If you're specifically interested in my take on an Ontario player after a game, just ask. I'm gonna post about the prospects people want to hear about, I'm not posting for myself.

A couple great games today with QUE-ALB and BC-ONT, should be good.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Quebec/Alberta tied at 3 after the 2nd.

I missed the first, but in the 2nd Alberta looked very solid. Came back from 3-1. Big, good skating and hard working team who has some absolute monsters on D. They have a few guys on their D line that look considerably bigger than Nurse. They can all skate, too. Did a good job of keeping Duclair in check.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
4-4 after regulation.

Deluca scored a beauty on a cross ice feed from Duclair. Alberta drew even on a nice breakaway goal.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Shootout coming up.

Complete domination by Duclair in OT. He did everything but end it. 3 or 4 beautiful rushes but couldn't beat Comrie, who has looked really strong in net for Alberta.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Quebec wins yet another shootout!

Drouin, scored, Duclair got stopped, Gauthier scored.

Klimchuk got stopped, # 12 got stopped.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Shootout coming up.

Complete domination by Duclair in OT. He did everything but end it. 3 or 4 beautiful rushes but couldn't beat Comrie, who has looked really strong in net for Alberta.

I disagree with the Comrie looked strong in net part of your post. The Quebec goalie was amazing.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I disagree with the Comrie looked strong in net part of your post. The Quebec goalie was amazing.

I missed the first, so any potenially suspect goals he let in then I would have missed. You don't think he hung tough in OT? The one goal I saw him let in was a beaut you couldn't fault him on.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
5-1 BC over Ontario after the 2nd.

BC seems to be a step quicker tonight, on top of playing a much better team game. Lazar and Rienhart are looking good. Nurse got absolutely rocked on a nice hit by #3.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
5-1 BC over Ontario after the 2nd.

BC seems to be a step quicker tonight, on top of playing a much better team game. Lazar and Rienhart are looking good. Nurse got absolutely rocked on a nice hit by #3.

After that initial Ritchie goal its been all BC, Ontario boys did not show up after that.

Congrats to BC.

Its not over yet, but its close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad