WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This really is a pointless exercise. Especially pick star players. Changes are they won't go. McDavid went last year but no one else. Not even an NHL goaltender said yes.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
This really is a pointless exercise. Especially pick star players. Changes are they won't go. McDavid went last year but no one else. Not even an NHL goaltender said yes.

incorrect. 2 NHL backups were on the team. 1 is a starter this year playing well and backstopping the Coyotes into the playoffs. It would be nice, however, if a NHL starter bona fide #1 accepted an invite. I'll give you that.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
I think, McDavid will go ... He loves play for his country and he is still very young, no childrens ... Also in slovakia is very good beer :)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I think, McDavid will go ... He loves play for his country and he is still very young, no childrens ... Also in slovakia is very good beer :)

It does help that he enjoys vacationing in Europe with that pretty girlfriend of his once the tournament is done. but now that he's making mega millions not so sure if Hockey Canada covering their travel costs to Europe would be that great of a motivator. We'll soon find out. or he could legitimately be gassed after a frustrating season and just want to get away ASAP.

I hope he accepts, but will understand if he declines.

Reactions: Hagstrom and jaro

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Chabot has a broken toe and will possibly miss the remainder of the season. Disappointing as he was the player I most wanted to see. He can't be completely ruled out but I had considered him almost a lock earlier.
I still think he goes,he seems to love playing for Canada in those tourneys...And it gives him a chance to play an even bigger role

Reactions: jaro

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
incorrect. 2 NHL backups were on the team. 1 is a starter this year playing well and backstopping the Coyotes into the playoffs. It would be nice, however, if a NHL starter bona fide #1 accepted an invite. I'll give you that.
How many "NHL starter bona fide #1" Canadian goaltenders even are there? 5-6? Fleury, Price, Murray, Dubnyk, Holtby, maybe Crawford. Which one of them would realistically accept an invitation?

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
BTW, I have a really hard time seeing Bratislava and Kosice as interesting destinations for late spring vacation. There are beautiful places in Slovakia, but those cities are not one of them.

jaro

Mar 31, 2018
BTW, I have a really hard time seeing Bratislava and Kosice as interesting destinations for late spring vacation. There are beautiful places in Slovakia, but those cities are not one of them.
Shame that Can doesnt play in Bratislava group. There is just few miles betwen Bratislava and Wien or Czech for a trip when team has 2 days free. Also i remeber that hockey Canada sended a request to play in Bratislava but IIHF declined.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
There are beautiful places in Slovakia, but those cities are not one of them.

Košice is very close to the High Tatras, Slovakia's top attraction. You really can't ask for more. It's a one-hour train ride, for goodness' sake.

Canadians behave like spoiled brats. This is supposed to be about representing your country, not about vacation. I realize that many things are upside down when viewed from America, but get a grip, please.

Reactions: VP

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Košice is very close to the High Tatras, Slovakia's top attraction. You really can't ask for more. It's a one-hour train ride, for goodness' sake.

Canadians behave like spoiled brats. This is supposed to be about representing your country, not about vacation. I realize that many things are upside down when viewed from America, but get a grip, please.
While it's obvious that location of the tournament is not the only deciding factor, it plays a big role. Most players take their families with them and treat the tournament as somewhat of a vacation. I'm not saying they aren't proud to represent or that they don't want to win.

All I'm saying is that I don't think it's a coincidence that 2015 tournament, hosted by Prague, had arguably the best roster in recent history. It's a reputation thing and I'm just not seeing the "wow" factor here. But who knows, maybe I'm completely off. But I wouldn't bet on it.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I don't support the notion at all, but I can't control the minds and whims of multi-million dollar salaried players. It's hard enough to attract players to come, I think it's only gotten slightly better in recent years because, apparently, Hockey Canada is treating the players' transportation and arrangements better? I think we would have to encourage this trip to be as comfortable for the players and the families as possible to attract more of them to go, fair or not, meaning the nicest hotels, flights and tour arrangements for their families - because the alternative is that the top players simply don't go and we regress more to a B or C product on the ice.

The season is long enough as it is, these players want to spend time with their families on vacation. If they're gonna go to the Worlds for a few weeks after the season in May, I'd damn well expect them to bring their friends/families along and expect them to be well treated and entertained in the area. Slovakia is a pretty cool place, I doubt being in either Kosice or Bratislava would be a detraction.

The last couple years being in France/Germany and Denmark were probably also fairly appealing as a destination, as would the next year in Switzerland. I'd be a little worried about Belarus/Latvia in 2021 but hope that, if NHL participation returns to the Olympics in 2022, players would go to showcase their potential spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hopefully (If the Avs miss playoffs and Isles out first round) get a line of:

Barzal-McDavid-MacKinnon

and just score about 8 rush goals a game.

I'm not convinced that those 3 together would be an effective line 5 on 5. Could be a lethal PP though.

If I were going to play McDavid and MacKinnon on the same line I'd prefer a real winger on the left side. my preference for this upcoming tournament would be Huberdeau.

I would like to see Barzal accept the invite if available. The Gold Medal game is on the 26th. which just happens to be his birthday.

with that trio of puck possession hipster speedster centers, anything less than a scoring machine a-la 2015 Prague Powerhouse gold medal game appearance would be an epic fail. They may not win the prize, one game winner take all anything can happen, but not to play for a gold medal would be hugely disappointing.

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I'm not convinced that those 3 together would be an effective line 5 on 5. Could be a lethal PP though.

If I were going to play McDavid and MacKinnon on the same line I'd prefer a real winger on the left side. my preference for this upcoming tournament would be Huberdeau.

I would like to see Barzal accept the invite if available. The Gold Medal game is on the 26th. which just happens to be his birthday.

with that trio of puck possession hipster speedster centers, anything less than a scoring machine a-la 2015 Prague Powerhouse gold medal game appearance would be an epic fail. They may not win the prize, one game winner take all anything can happen, but not to play for a gold medal would be hugely disappointing.

In a way I think those three are a waste on big ice. But it certainly would be interesting to see.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
a glimmer of hope. reports out of Ottawa that Chabot could possibly be back in the lineup on Saturday. So, with 7 weeks to tournament puck drop with plenty of time to heal, there's still a chance Hockey Canada will send out the invite at season's end.

probably only a 10% chance he accepts, but it's better than nothing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that Chabot will go if he is reasonably healthy, primarily due to his past comments. I am curious to see if Hockey Canada will invite Makar and then if Makar would accept the invitation.

Reactions: Hagstrom

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I think that Chabot will go if he is reasonably healthy, primarily due to his past comments. I am curious to see if Hockey Canada will invite Makar and then if Makar would accept the invitation.

I think he accepts an invite to play with and against NHLers. I don't think a NHL GM Hockey Canada hires to run the show for this tournament gives a rats ass that a few bureaucrats were all bent out of shape that he turned down an Olympic invite...if that's what you are referring to.

I'm hoping Makar is there. but I'm hoping it's a somewhat stacked d-corps where he's just the 8th. guy and the rest is up to him to see where he's at on the old development curve.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think he accepts an invite to play with and against NHLers. I don't think a NHL GM Hockey Canada hires to run the show for this tournament gives a rats ass that a few bureaucrats were all bent out of shape that he turned down an Olympic invite...if that's what you are referring to.

I'm hoping Makar is there. but I'm hoping it's a somewhat stacked d-corps where he's just the 8th. guy and the rest is up to him to see where he's at on the old development curve.

I don't think that Hockey Canada cares that he refused to go to those Olympics. He may want to rest up and prepare for the next season or not. I suspect the same, that he would agree, but who knows. Could be like Matheson a few years ago when he was practically right out of the NCAA.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux Couturier Konecny
???? Patrick ????

Sanheim

Hart

Possible Flyers who could go.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Giroux Couturier Konecny
???? Patrick ????

Sanheim

Hart

Possible Flyers who could go.

I'll take them all except for Patrick as a 4th. line regular. If he's interested in coming along as a 14th. forward and playing 1-3 games, perhaps as a RW. then that would be okay. but I am hoping we can do a little better than Patrick in that role.

Reactions: TimeZone

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
A good start is anyone of Hart, Reimer or Kuemper. Pickard or Talbot as backup. Many joined before. You have so many defenders of class that you don't have to worry about these. Key might be someone to have chemistry with McDavid and team to commit to a more defensive system.

U-28 on non-playoffs teams: (subtract contract negotiators, fathers, hawaiians, no-sayers, lousy skaters and brawlers below).

Connor McDavid, Nathan MacKinnon, Taylor Hall, Jonathan Huberdeau, Sean Couturier, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jeff Skinner, Sam Reinhart, Bo Horvat, Dylan Strome, Andreas Athanasiou Chris Tierney Travis Konecny Anthony Mantha Nick Ritchie Tyler Bertuzzi Alexander Kerfoot Nolan Patrick Drake Batherson Anthony Duclair Evan Rodrigues Tyler Toffoli Ryan Strome Anthony Beauvillier Jean-Gabriel Pageau Josh Leivo Michael Rasmussen

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad