WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The team has really played great hockey this tournament. The talent might not be the strongest but they all came together and are 40 minutes away from a gold medal.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think that this tournament was pretty good for the Canadian players. You could say that the team lost to a team that was much less talented, which is true, but then again it finished ahead of several teams that were more talented. I like this tournament as a training ground (for what you may ask? I don't really know anymore) and I think that there were some good lessons for the young Canadian players, many of whom played quite well during this tournament. I know that Canada doesn't accept less than gold in hockey but for this tournament I'm quite content with getting some good reps for some of Canada's top young players. I look forward to the Bear's thread about the 2020 team.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Didn't work out this year but I enjoyed the team, especially the mobile defense. It's too bad Couturier just couldn't seem to get it going offensively.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Didn't work out this year but I enjoyed the team, especially the mobile defense. It's too bad Couturier just couldn't seem to get it going offensively.
Yeah its amazing. The guys stick is like a vacuum cleaner sucking up pucks but he never seemed to turn it into something.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Too bad about this year but this years team really exceeded expectations. A lot of people pegged this team to be knocked out in the quarters but we paved our way to the gold medal game and just came up short. On the bright side lots of young players came in and performed well, and a few had their coming out party. Two golds and two silvers from the past five years isnt a bad haul either when we consider the QF slide from 2010-2014. The future for Canada in best on best tournaments looks bright. I look forward to next year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Overall I was pleased with the tournament and the effort in the final game.

We needed that PP goal in this one and the Finns got one.

Some guys didn't quite step up to the same degree (e.g. Mantha) but in general Canada buckled down and just threw everything they had at the net.

Finns did a good job boxing out and unluckily for us, no deflections or bounces went in and the follow-up guys seemed to skate over the rebounds.

Definitely an enjoyable team to watch with good character.

Oh well, back to the playoffs.

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I'm very proud of this team. We came up
Short. But at least we didn't lose to the USA and actually played extremely well against them. Hope we can turn it around against USA as they seemed to have gotten our number over the last few years. Building a team of mobile defensman is the way to beat team USA.
Very very proud of our young players. Great job !!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
hope to see many of these same players get another crack at it in the next year or two. minus Strome of course.
I guess there are certain players we can rule out due to lengthy NHL playoffs, but there are a few young players here who should be top of the list to get another shot at it next year. and John Tavares still owes us one.

overall it will go down as one of my favorite teams not to win a gold medal.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
hope to see many of these same players get another crack at it in the next year or two. minus Strome of course.
I guess there are certain players we can rule out due to lengthy NHL playoffs, but there are a few young players here who should be top of the list to get another shot at it next year. and John Tavares still owes us one.

overall it will go down as one of my favorite teams not to win a gold medal.

but I will at least try not to criticize roster selections ever again until I see how they come together and perform on the ice. I was irate about the Jared McCann selection, more so than Strome, and he turned out to be a decent player over there. Would I like to see him come back? probably not, but I suppose in another year with a mountain of declines, I won't protest his selection much.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Hope he has a better season next year...

and comes back as our 3rd. line center next year. we'll be golden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad