WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
1015270967.jpg

After 2 big embarrassing tournaments in Vancouver and Denmark - fathers-hockey sent new Canadian dream-team (just like Prague powerhouse )

My version.

Darcy Kuemper-Jake Allen

Taylor Hall- Connor McDavid- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Mike Hoffman- Ryan O'Reilly-Mathew Barzal
Jonathan Huberdeau-Claude Giroux-Mark Stone
Brayden Schenn-Matt Duchene-Bo Horvat/Sean Couturier
+ 2 extra option after 1 or 2 round SC - Nathan MacKinnon or Mitchell Marner/ Mark Scheifele

Alex Pietrangelo-Thomas Chabot
Aaron Ekblad-Mike Matheson
Darnell Nurse-Ryan Pulock
Colton Parayko/ Vince Dunn
+ one or 2 extra option after 1 or 2 round SC

Brent Burns/Morgan Rielly or Josh Morrissey/Tyson Barrie or
Ryan Murray -Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
1015270967.jpg

After 2 big embarrassing tournaments in Vancouver and Denmark - fathers-hockey sent new Canadian dream-team (just like Prague powerhouse )

My version.

Darcy Kuemper-Jake Allen

+ 2 extra option after 1 or 2 round SC - Nathan MacKinnon or Mitchell Marner/ Mark Scheifele

LOL That's not even close to being a Prague Powerhouse. Just including McDavid does not make it a Powerhouse.

You got a lot of work to do.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The Bear has awoken early from his hibernation. I think that means that winter is going to be longer and weirder than usual. It's too difficult to predict who will be at this tournament by this point, but one guy I am expecting is Chabot as he has talked up international hockey several times in the past. It would be good to see him in an expanded role.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
The Bear has awoken early from his hibernation. I think that means that winter is going to be longer and weirder than usual. It's too difficult to predict who will be at this tournament by this point, but one guy I am expecting is Chabot as he has talked up international hockey several times in the past. It would be good to see him in an expanded role.

me too. And I hope he gets paired up with an A-lister on the top line to be something of a mentor to the young Chabot. (Burns) Although, there doesn't seem to be too many RHD A-listers available or playing anywhere near their capability (Doughty). I'm not holding my breath for Doughty to play this tournament ever.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Chabot is injured at the moment so we’ll see if it ends up influencing his decision to go.

isn't he expected to be out only 3 weeks? We're 4 months and a week out from puck drop in Slovakia.

if his injury lingers on into the new year, then obviously it will impact his decision in April. That will be disappointing. was thoroughly enjoying the season he was putting together. If he isn't good to go, I hope the Leafs get bounced in the opening rd. by the Bruins and Rielly can take his spot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
isn't he expected to be out only 3 weeks? We're 4 months and a week out from puck drop in Slovakia.

Three weeks is a significant enough injury to potentially influence a decision to go play in a voluntary tournament at the end of the season.

I’d say it’s more likely that he goes but I can also see the team preferring if he didn’t.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Three weeks is a significant enough injury to potentially influence a decision to go play in a voluntary tournament at the end of the season.

I’d say it’s more likely that he goes but I can also see the team preferring if he didn’t.
I cant see an injury influencing it this fair out unless he comes back and it lingers the rest of the season.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
we are going to wait a long time before we ever see the likes of that 2015 Prague Powerhouse again.

bolded players are 1st. round playoff additions.
and Ryan Ellis is the lone late 2nd. round addition.

Mackinnon hasn't played in a few years, loves the tournament and Avs look like an early 1st. round exit. Nate would be McDavid's replacement as #1 center.
Barzal is really starting to heat up. If he plays the 2nd half like he played his rookie year would like to see him accept another invite as #2 center/RW.

Huberbeau MacKinnon Giroux. with Anthony Mantha coming off the IR today, if he's playing well the 2nd half he could get a shot at RW here.
P-L Dubois Horvat Barzal
Drouin Domi Reinhart
O'Reilly Couturier Konecny
Anthanasiou

Chabot Burns
Murray
Ellis
Matheson Spurgeon
Dunn Parayako

Jones
Hutton

DiPietro they brought him last year. may as well bring him again.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
how about that beauty unassisted effort last night by A Mantha. Hopefully he has a hot 2nd half with no lingering effects of the injury and is one of the 1st. calls/invites to non playoff players the day after the NHL season concluded.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
we are going to wait a long time before we ever see the likes of that 2015 Prague Powerhouse again.

bolded players are 1st. round playoff additions.
and Ryan Ellis is the lone late 2nd. round addition.

Mackinnon hasn't played in a few years, loves the tournament and Avs look like an early 1st. round exit. Nate would be McDavid's replacement as #1 center.
Barzal is really starting to heat up. If he plays the 2nd half like he played his rookie year would like to see him accept another invite as #2 center/RW.

Huberbeau MacKinnon Giroux. with Anthony Mantha coming off the IR today, if he's playing well the 2nd half he could get a shot at RW here.
P-L Dubois Horvat Barzal
Drouin Domi Reinhart
O'Reilly Couturier Konecny
Anthanasiou

Chabot Burns
Murray
Ellis
Matheson Spurgeon
Dunn Parayako

Jones
Hutton

DiPietro they brought him last year. may as well bring him again.
Good roster_)

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Huberdeau- McDavid- Schwartz
Hall- Couturier- Giroux
Nugent-Hopkins- O’Reilly- Schenn
Tierney- Horvat- Reinhart
Mantha, Athanasiou

Muzzin- Ekblad
Chabot- Manson
Matheson- Parayko
Chychrun- Montour

Hutton
Hart
Blackwood

I didn’t include anyone from teams that I think will make the playoffs, obviously there will Ben playoff adds but there’s no way of predicting what those will be right now, so it’s easier just to exclude them. I also didn’t include any players that are RFA’s/UFA’s because no player is going to go over there without a contract guarantee for the next season.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
they will be getting a lot of no's is my prediction

Canada lobbied to get their games moved from Kosice to Brataslavia and were rejected. I have been to both cities and are nice but the idea of spending 2 weeks in Kosice is a bit much.

Slovakians may want to weigh in on the lure of both cities but many players bring family with them to the cup (In Russia I hung out with Corey Perry's mother and she it a blast) and things to do in and around the area they are playing plays into if a player comes

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
If their mindset is they're going for a vacation rather than to represent their country and they need to select their destination much as they would select it from a travel catalog, they might as well stay at home.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
1015270967.jpg

My version.

Darcy Kuemper-Jake Allen

good roster)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
It would probably behoove Hockey Canada to send an advance scout to Kosice to make and post videos of the best bars and night clubs there, otherwise we are going to get a long long list of rejections this spring. tag the online vids in their text invites to players and cc the wives and girlfriends. They are the ones who give their yea or nay.

As it is, I doubt that we'll get many established, bonified 1st. line NHL stars going, outside the 3-4 players that make this tournament an annual event, the notorious rink rat Ryan O'Reilly for one. Highly unlikely McDavid plays in 3 tournaments in 4 years. My fingers are crossed for Nathan MacKinnon still, and that's one hell of a player to start with, just slap a C on his sweater and we're off to the races. hopefully the team is well coached. I'll gladly take a bunch of talented ELC players and National Team 1st. timers who are well coached and motivated. ELC players not named Nolan Patrick, please. thankyou.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frelimo

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm ready to discount Carolina, Rangers, Florida, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles and Chicago from the playoffs at this point. Not sure who I'd really like to see from those teams at this point other than Chabot. I am pretty confident that Chabot will go if healthy given some of his previous statements regarding international hockey. Regarding the "big" available players from those teams, I don't expect Giroux (he's done enough) or Hall (same) or Duchene (contract, new kid) and Doughty seems like an obvious no. I would like to see Huberdeau, though there seems to be something weird between him and Hockey Canada.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm ready to discount Carolina, Rangers, Florida, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Ottawa, Detroit, Los Angeles and Chicago from the playoffs at this point. Not sure who I'd really like to see from those teams at this point other than Chabot. I am pretty confident that Chabot will go if healthy given some of his previous statements regarding international hockey. Regarding the "big" available players from those teams, I don't expect Giroux (he's done enough) or Hall (same) or Duchene (contract, new kid) and Doughty seems like an obvious no. I would like to see Huberdeau, though there seems to be something weird between him and Hockey Canada.

no invites since '14 for Huberdeau despite being available for most of those years. It wouldn't shock me if some at Hockey Canada pin a disappointing quarter-final loss on a 20 year old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad