WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
What I would (try to) ice

Huberdeau - McDavid - Reinhart
Hall - Couturier - O'Reilly
N.Hopkins - Horvat - Schenn
Hoffman - Patrick - Konecny
Athanasiou
-Extra

Chabot - Ekblad
Sanheim - Parayko
Dunn - Manson
Makar
-Extra

Hart
Blackwood
DiPietro

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
What I would (try to) ice

Huberdeau - McDavid - Reinhart
Hall - Couturier - O'Reilly
N.Hopkins - Horvat - Schenn
Hoffman - Patrick - Konecny
Athanasiou
-Extra

Chabot - Ekblad
Sanheim - Parayko
Dunn - Manson
Makar
-Extra

Hart
Blackwood
DiPietro

I would take Stone over every forward on that team not named McDavid or O'Reilly.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I would take Stone over every forward on that team not named McDavid or O'Reilly.
Only reason I didnt include guys like Stone or Duchene is cause they have contracts coming up and neither of them have signed yet. Also seems unlikely that Stone would accept the invite for this year.

Reactions: Mack Attack

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Only reason I didnt include guys like Stone or Duchene is cause they have contracts coming up and neither of them have signed yet. Also seems unlikely that Stone would accept the invite for this year.

odd that you are optimistic that McDavid plays for the 3rd. time in 4 years, but you are not optimistic enough that we can't come up with any better than Nolan Patrick. I'm all for young and promising players getting a shot at this tournament, but they have to in some small measure deserve it. He just doesn't. perhaps if he gets hot in the 2nd. half and score at a 1.5 PPG clip to finish out the season he can come along as the 14th. forward and play a few games at RW. but a regular 4th. line center role? It wouldn't be my choice.

Towes is having a great year. If you're going to be optimistic - be optimistic. :)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
A 100 days to puck drop. time for my updated 25 man roster. but the playoff matchups change daily. so, for now...

Avs, Mtl, Pitt, Vegas and Minn are the 1st. rd. losers and late additions. Patrick gets to play the pre-tournament game and 1 or 2 others, against Great Britain. other than that he sits upstairs to watch and learn. nice experience and holiday for him and family though. not really much of a Patrick fan. never have been.

Huberdeau MacKinnon Mantha
O'Reilly Horvat Giroux
Drouin Domi Reinhart
Bertuzzi Towes Konecny
Athanasiou Patrick

Chabot Letang
Dunn Barrie
Theodore Spurgeon
......…..Montour/Makar

Fleury
Hart
McElhinney

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Could Team Canada use Alex Grant? (Jokerit, KHL).
12 goals, 20 assists, 32 points +11 in 51 games this season.

I certainly hope not. If the situation is that bleak with a 100 rejections that we got to resort to career AHLers. I'll find something better to do in mid May. maybe I'll take a spring vacation to my little shack in the Florida Keys.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I certainly hope not. If the situation is that bleak with a 100 rejections that we got to resort to career AHLers. I'll find something better to do in mid May. maybe I'll take a spring vacation to my little shack in the Florida Keys.

Bigger ice surface, Grant has had a great season, both ends of the ice
- big, physical, solid passer, who can skate really well, with a heavy (and accurate) slap shot

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Bigger ice surface, Grant has had a great season, both ends of the ice
- big, physical, solid passer, who can skate really well, with a heavy (and accurate) slap shot
Theres plenty of better options in the NHL and the KHL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Theres plenty of better options in the NHL and the KHL.

Name one Canadian d-man whos having better season in the KHL what Alex Grant?
I can maybe name one, Mathew Maione, 5 foot 8 LD (41 points in 51 games)
- plays tons of minutes for a bad team, he is their point leader

Alex is a RD, right shooting d-man, the hot potato of hockey at the moment.

I'd choose Grant over Maione.

What comes to the NHL, well duh, but it isn't always choosing the better ones, but choosing the right ones.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

What comes to the NHL, well duh, but it isn't always choosing the better ones, but choosing the right ones.
Darren Dietz is having a much better season than Alex Grant on Barys Astana, at least points wise. Anyways thats not the point. When there's a wide variety of NHL players available, I'm picking them over a guy in any Euro league.

RD options currently available as of todays NHL standings:
Pietrangelo
Doughty

Ekblad
Parayko
Manson
Montour
Severson
Hamilton
Tanev (bleh)
Ceci (bleh)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

man, things are pretty bleak in the KHL these days. Top 3 offensive d-men are 2 career AHLers and a Canadian collegiate/ECHLer. Again, if we have to go that far down the depth chart for this tournament, then the tournament is of no interest to me. I'll find something better to do.
I can think of at least 5 d-men off the last 2 WJC teams I take before going any further down that path.

Darren Dietz is having a much better season than Alex Grant on Barys Astana, at least points wise. Anyways thats not the point. When there's a wide variety of NHL players available, I'm picking them over a guy in any Euro league.

RD options currently available as of todays NHL standings:
Pietrangelo
Doughty

Ekblad
Parayko
Manson
Montour
Severson
Hamilton
Tanev (bleh)
Ceci (
bleh)

While they may be bleh, they both played on a gold medal winning team in '16. and Tanev was pretty damn good to excellent in that tournament. wasn't a big point getter, but it wasn't his role. I'd be thrilled to have him back.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
with the standings in constant flux and the Avs dropping out of the race a team with McDavid and MacKinnon down the middle is wild. Although, ultimately I believe McDavid will take a hard pass on this tournament, I like imagining what a team with both dynamic centers would look like.
Doughty is unlikely, but he has a bromance with McDavid, so he may jump at the chance to play on a team with young McJesus. and I'd like to see Chabot mentored by a player of Doughty's stature.

Huberdeau McDavid Mantha
P.L. Dubois MacKinnon Giroux
Drouin Domi Reinhart
ROR Towes Konecny
Athanasiou Bertuzzi

Chabot Doughty
Murray Barrie
Dunn Spurgeon
Theodore
Montour

Fleury
Hart
McElhinney

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
with the standings in constant flux and the Avs dropping out of the race a team with McDavid and MacKinnon down the middle is wild. Although, ultimately I believe McDavid will take a hard pass on this tournament, I like imagining what a team with both dynamic centers would look like.
Doughty is unlikely, but he has a bromance with McDavid, so he may jump at the chance to play on a team with young McJesus. and I'd like to see Chabot mentored by a player of Doughty's stature.

Huberdeau McDavid Mantha
P.L. Dubois MacKinnon Giroux
Drouin Domi Reinhart
ROR Towes Konecny
Athanasiou Bertuzzi

Chabot Doughty
Murray Barrie
Dunn Spurgeon
Theodore
Montour

Fleury
Hart
McElhinney

You seem to dream of Spurgeon every year. I don't really know what his issue is with Hockey Canada (or the other way around perhaps) but this may be the year. I like the look of this team even if the top end isn't likely to end up being this strong.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
You seem to dream of Spurgeon every year. I don't really know what his issue is with Hockey Canada (or the other way around perhaps) but this may be the year. I like the look of this team even if the top end isn't likely to end up being this strong.

I think earlier it was just a matter of circumstance, injuries and the like, but in recent years it's all on Spurgeon. He either has no interest in international hockey or he believes that playing a minimum of 1 playoff game in any given year is enough to give him a get out of jail free card. It's too bad. he's the perfect B-level player for this B level tournament.

some Hockey Canada peeps had him on the list for possible Olympic summer camp orientation way back in 2013. NHL execs running the summer run through had different ideas on the expanded invite list, so, perhaps he holds a grudge about that.

And how about Carter Hart making a case for himself to be not just a #2 in Slovakia. He's on a good run.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think earlier it was just a matter of circumstance, injuries and the like, but in recent years it's all on Spurgeon. He either has no interest in international hockey or he believes that playing a minimum of 1 playoff game in any given year is enough to give him a get out of jail free card. It's too bad. he's the perfect B-level player for this B level tournament.

some Hockey Canada peeps had him on the list for possible Olympic summer camp orientation way back in 2013. NHL execs running the summer run through had different ideas on the expanded invite list, so, perhaps he holds a grudge about that.

And how about Carter Hart making a case for himself to be not just a #2 in Slovakia. He's on a good run.

I'm all for guys like Carter Hart playing at this tournament. In fact I'll be disappointed if neither of Hart or Blackwood is there.

Reactions: VP

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
New version

?/ Carter Hart

Taylor Hall- Connor McDavid- Matt Duchene
Jonathan Huberdeau-Jonathan Toews-Claude Giroux
Mike Hoffman- Ryan Getzlaf -Mark Stone
-Bo Horvat-Sean Couturier

+ 2 extra option after 1 or 2 round SC - Nathan MacKinnon or Mitchell Marner/ Mark Scheifele

Alex Pietrangelo-Thomas Chabot
Aaron Ekblad-Mike Matheson
Jared Spurgeon-
/ Vince Dunn
+ 2 option after 1 or 2 round SC like Giordano or Burns / Rielly

Reactions: jaro

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Even at this tournament, TC almost never goes for any non-NHL player. If they do they're usually scratches throughout the entire tournament; if they're not, it's a very, very bleak year for the roster.

Reactions: Hagstrom

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
+ 2 extra option after 1 or 2 round SC - Nathan MacKinnon or Mitchell Marner/ Mark Scheifele
This never happens with Canada because in order to have extras, you need spares, and no NHLer is going to accept an invite to the World Champs and be a spare. It's going to be only non-playoff players, 100%.

And most of those players you listed will decline the invitation if they have plans for the summer or minor injuries because it's not really a prestigious tournament. You might need depth players and Canadians playing in Europe to fill out the roster. I have no doubt all star players get an invite, but it's really like a roll of the dice to see who wants to play.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This never happens with Canada because in order to have extras, you need spares, and no NHLer is going to accept an invite to the World Champs and be a spare. It's going to be only non-playoff players, 100%.

And most of those players you listed will decline the invitation if they have plans for the summer or minor injuries because it's not really a prestigious tournament. You might need depth players and Canadians playing in Europe to fill out the roster. I have no doubt all star players get an invite, but it's really like a roll of the dice to see who wants to play.
The NHL regular season ends on April 6 while the World Championship starts on May 10, the first round has ended well before that and the chances are that even the second round has ended by then. This is the latest start date for the World Championship in history and this is also a particularly early end date for the NHL regular season.

Reactions: SotasicA

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The NHL regular season ends on April 6 while the World Championship starts on May 10, the first round has ended well before that and the chances are that even the second round has ended by then. This is the latest start date for the World Championship in history and this is also a particularly early end date for the NHL regular season.
I did not know this. Thank you.

But the point is, I don't think they will wait for players. Who says yes first gets to play. They will ask 23 players in the first wave. Then another wave of invites equalling the number of declines, and so forth. They won't save roster spots for future eliminations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad