WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This never happens with Canada because in order to have extras, you need spares, and no NHLer is going to accept an invite to the World Champs and be a spare. It's going to be only non-playoff players, 100%.

I'm somewhat impressed by how wrong this is. Canada adds players after the first round pretty much every year (including last year), and sometimes after the second round as well (including last year). A "spare" isn't required to do this, but even that has happened before. Off the top of my head in the last few years Ben Hutton and Brayden Schenn have been bumped out of playing spots due to someone (Ellis and Crosby respectively) joining late. There are even instances (Bozak a few years ago) where a player agrees to be a conditional player for the team as long as no better players agree to participate.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I'm somewhat impressed by how wrong this is. Canada adds players after the first round pretty much every year (including last year), and sometimes after the second round as well (including last year). A "spare" isn't required to do this, but even that has happened before. Off the top of my head in the last few years Ben Hutton and Brayden Schenn have been bumped out of playing spots due to someone (Ellis and Crosby respectively) joining late. There are even instances (Bozak a few years ago) where a player agrees to be a conditional player for the team as long as no better players agree to participate.
+ Vlasic)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I still think Mcdavid will pass this year however I have a feeling Toews might actually go if asked.

I'm hoping he does. He hasn't got too many of these international tournaments remaining in his illustrious career. 1 or 2 of these World Championships + maybe a 2022 Olympics, but that's not a guarantee. Hopefully he + 2 or 3 others
(Sid/ Patrice and Doughty)
from the Golden Generation (Vancouver 2010) realize that and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself.

That list does not include Getzlaf or Perry.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm hoping he does. He hasn't got too many of these international tournaments remaining in his illustrious career. 1 or 2 of these World Championships + maybe a 2022 Olympics, but that's not a guarantee. Hopefully he + 2 or 3 others
(Sid/ Patrice and Doughty)
from the Golden Generation (Vancouver 2010) realize that and take advantage when the opportunity presents itself.

That list does not include Getzlaf or Perry.
Can't see Toews being there at the 2022 olympics but I think there is a decent chance he may attend the WHC this year, Doughty would sure be nice to see play this year but he never seems to be very interested in these international matters except for the real big ones.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Has anyone gone to Europe to watch Canada play at the WC? I know Canadians go to the WJC in Europe.

most are expats living in Europe. I attended 3 when I was living abroad and met very few who traveled from Canada. but I was mostly drinking with the hard partying Latvians to notice. I imagine if I were to attend this year I'd get in with the Brits and drink the pub dry.

Reactions: Rob

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I have always wanted to go to the Skodas, will have to get off my arse and make the trip pretty soon.

I'd suggest you put Spengler and NY Eve in Davos #1 on your hockey bucket wish list. a not so close 2nd. would be the Skodas. depending on location, of course. not all are created equal.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
okay folks. McDavid is fried and probably just wants to escape to Fiji for 5 months at the conclusion of this season...and what if, other than 2 or 3 WHC regulars, (MacKinnon, Couturier and Barrie) all took a pass and we are left with young fresh faces. Assuming BOS, CBJ, MTL and VGK are 1st. rd. losers.

I think I can get behind this team, most likely not a strong gold medal contender, but if Coach Q can get them motivated they would be fun to watch.

Huberdeau MacKinnon Mantha
Drouin Domi Reinhart
Debrusk Dubois Marchessault
Bertuzzi Couturier Konecny
Athanasiou Batherson

Chabot Barrie
Theodore Hamilton
Murray Montour
Chychrun Makar

Hart
Hutton
McElhinney

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
okay folks. McDavid is fried and probably just wants to escape to Fiji for 5 months at the conclusion of this season...and what if, other than 2 or 3 WHC regulars, (MacKinnon, Couturier and Barrie) all took a pass and we are left with young fresh faces. Assuming BOS, CBJ, MTL and VGK are 1st. rd. losers.

I think I can get behind this team, most likely not a strong gold medal contender, but if Coach Q can get them motivated they would be fun to watch.

Huberdeau MacKinnon Mantha
Drouin Domi Reinhart
Debrusk Dubois Marchessault
Bertuzzi Couturier Konecny
Athanasiou Batherson

Chabot Barrie
Theodore Hamilton
Murray Montour
Chychrun Makar

Hart
Hutton
McElhinney

I'd love to see Makar and the Drake there.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'd love to see Makar and the Drake there.

yeah, not a bad idea. 8th.dman and 14th. forward on a 25 man roster. they get in against Great Britain to see how well they do and perhaps get in another game or two after that.

haven't seen any of the Drake's latest games since he's been called up. How's he looked?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
yeah, not a bad idea. 8th.dman and 14th. forward on a 25 man roster. they get in against Great Britain to see how well they do and perhaps get in another game or two after that.

haven't seen any of the Drake's latest games since he's been called up. How's he looked?
Haven't watched him since he got back but I believe in the kid, want him to suit up for the skodas, good luck charm.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils seem like they want to try to bring Hall back even just for the last few games. If he gets healthy enough to play there, I would imagine he'd want to go to this to get a few more competitive games in at the WC.

Also wonder if Blackwood makes this as the second goalie?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Devils seem like they want to try to bring Hall back even just for the last few games. If he gets healthy enough to play there, I would imagine he'd want to go to this to get a few more competitive games in at the WC.

No reason Blackwood shouldn't be there, even possibly as starter.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Can't see Hall missing half the season and want to trot off to Europe just to play a few more competitive games. If he's up for it, that's great. but I think Hall is done jumping through hoops for Hockey Canada. If the NHL and the PA and the IOC agree on the 2022 Olympics and roster spots are on the line, he may be motivated. but as far as this tournament goes, Hall has done more than his fair share of heavy lifting.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot has a broken toe and will possibly miss the remainder of the season. Disappointing as he was the player I most wanted to see. He can't be completely ruled out but I had considered him almost a lock earlier.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Chabot has a broken toe and will possibly miss the remainder of the season. Disappointing as he was the player I most wanted to see. He can't be completely ruled out but I had considered him almost a lock earlier.

Just saw that on TSN. Really disappointing if he misses the WC

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

very disappointing news for sure.

turning our attention to other up and coming LD. Sanheim is having a good year in Philly. Theodore or Dunn (whoever becomes available after the 1st. rd.) neither of these 3 can play the role #1LD I had hoped Chabot would play.

Darnell Nurse again this year? I wasn't overly impressed with him last year, but I think he can be okay in a 3rd. pairing depending on who he's partner is. but if we get anything out of Edmonton, my hopes are set on another particular player not named Nurse.

I'm now hoping that a young, but already established, LD takes Chabot's place. Morgan Rielly looks like he'll be available by mid April. That would certainly take the sting out of missing on Chabot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
very disappointing news for sure.

turning our attention to other up and coming LD. Sanheim is having a good year in Philly. Theodore or Dunn (whoever becomes available after the 1st. rd.) neither of these 3 can play the role #1LD I had hoped Chabot would play.

Darnell Nurse again this year? I wasn't overly impressed with him last year, but I think he can be okay in a 3rd. pairing depending on who he's partner is. but if we get anything out of Edmonton, my hopes are set on another particular player not named Nurse.

I'm now hoping that a young, but already established, LD takes Chabot's place. Morgan Rielly looks like he'll be available by mid April. That would certainly take the sting out of missing on Chabot.

Rielly would be a good add. I've been high on him for a long time and he was solid in 2016. If he brought Marner that would be interesting too. It's been a while since a team Canada had an offensive leader on the wing.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Rielly would be a good add. I've been high on him for a long time and he was solid in 2016. If he brought Marner that would be interesting too. It's been a while since a team Canada had an offensive leader on the wing.
If Marner isn't signed there is probably about a 0% chance that he will be going over. Maybe Tavares would though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad