WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I can see it happening in soccer in other countries. For instance if England hosts the World Cup, I imagine that plenty of non-English Premiership (or even other big league) players will be interviewed. American coverage is more insular, but even then they have done some documentaries about Canadian international hockey because the Canadians were far better than the Americans and the Canadians could easily participate in the interviews. It is what it is. I haven't noticed TSN pimping the American games all that much relative to other non-Canadian games.

Dreger did one of his little cafes with Stone several days ago and he did one with Murray the next day. Also did one with Vigneault.
Yeah, but that's just it, they will interview players from other countries, not just one in particular, and you had mentioned the language issue as the reason they may be doing this only with the american players but wouldn't a croatian football player be just as uncomfortamle with interviews in english as a czech hockey player would? yet as you say they still interview them so why aren't we interviewing say, Swedish players with this dreger coffee talks shit? I will keep watching to see if they do in the rest of the tournament and if they do I will have to eat crow on that. As far as the documentary thing well as you also said, thats because Canada was far better at the time and if they wanted to cover a story on international hockey there was going to be far more compelling ones to be found with Canada, that is no different then doing a documentary on the american dream team in basketball here or a documentary featuring the brazilian national teams in football, thats normal!! But what wouldnt be normal would be focusing on Canadas games at others expense almost as a secondary team when your own country now has a great hockey program and is a world power, no way would that ever happen there, yet it seems we are doing it now with the American team. I am surprised you havent noticed the pimping on the main tsn channel, the one you automatically get with basically any cable package even if you don't opt to pay for specialty channels. I've noticed for sure.

Anyway, I mean you are usually level headed and very informed so if you say you don't see anything amiss I'll just have to take your word for it. You've earned the nod on balanced judgement around here.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, but that's just it, they will interview players from other countries, not just one in particular, and you had mentioned the language issue as the reason they may be doing this only with the american players but wouldn't a croatian football player be just as uncomfortamle with interviews in english as a czech hockey player would? yet as you say they still interview them. And as far as the documentary thing well as you also said, thats because Canada was far better at the time and if they wanted to cover a story on international hockey there was going to be far more compelling ones to be found with Canada, that is no different then doing a documentary on the american dream team in basketball here or a documentary featuring the brazilian national teams in football, thats normal!! But what wouldnt be normal would be focusing on Canadas games at others expense almost as a secondary team when your own country now has a great hockey program and is a world power, no way would that ever happen there, yet it seems we are doing it now with the American team. I am surprised you havent noticed the pimping on the main tsn channel, the one you automatically get with basically any cable package even if you don't opt to pay for specialty channels. I've noticed for sure.

Anyway, I mean you are usually level headed and very informed so if you say you don't see anything amiss I'll just have to take your word for it. You've earned the nod on balanced judgement around here.

I'll say this last on it. It is different from before, for certain. 20 years ago you wouldn't see Americans getting interviewed other than Hull, and he's a Canadian player anyway. I think it's just TSN trying to draw eyeballs though. There are a variety of reasons why TSN may think that it can draw more attention through interviewing these players, and whether TSN is correct is up for discussion.

Reactions: Hagstrom

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'll say this last on it. It is different from before, for certain. 20 years ago you wouldn't see Americans getting interviewed other than Hull, and he's a Canadian player anyway. I think it's just TSN trying to draw eyeballs though. There are a variety of reasons why TSN may think that it can draw more attention through interviewing these players, and whether TSN is correct is up for discussion.
Point taken, cheers.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Kane and jvr in todays "coffee talk" Dreger has been the master of ceremonies in these little vignettes, it's the team U.S.A show!!. I mean I could understand if they were doing these little segments with players from all different countries, a sort of short little segment covering the players from the tournament, that would make sense. but this thing so far has just been strictly U.S players. WTF?

Haven't you also noticed that for the past few years they have taken it upon themselves to co - showcase the American games along with Canada's at the WJC and WHC? I mean they make it a point to show all of their games on the main tsn channel now, if Sweden is playing Russia and the U.S is playing Kazachstan at the same time it's a given now that you are getting the U.S game, the make sure they are in the prime spot regardless of the quality of game. I am sure Canadian fans who are into these tournaments and loyally watch each year all want to see the better game but no.............tsn make sure it's the U.S game played on the main channel regardless. Do they really think we in Canada are in love with U.S hockey or something? They of all people know they are our biggest rival now and there is absolutely zero love lost between us.

I mean, the u.s is just another team in the tournament, there is absolutely no reason to have a special co-focus on them along with the Canadian team. There was never any special status with them in the past. A major Canadian t.v sports outlet with a seemingly "second team".Has this ever been done before anywhere by anyone?

I just don't get, it's as if some backdoor deal has been made or something. Something is just not adding up here slats. You gotta wonder if some cash has been exchanged here.

Very fishy.

Funny you brought it up. My wife (American) has mentioned it to me in the past. She appreciates TSN's commitment to USAH. I would assume that the NHL Network underwrites some of TSN's production costs at IIHF events (it is the international broadcaster) to create American content for American viewers in the U.S. to go along with the TSN feed they use for Team USA games. Why TSN gives it prime space on Canadian platforms (Dreger café w/American players) is a headscratcher. but I don't bother watching those anyway, generally because there isn't anything a hockey player has to say (no matter the nationality) that I find compelling enough to want to listen to.

Maybe it's all part of the master plan in a build up to 2022 and USA vs Canada Summit Series.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Funny you brought it up. My wife (American) has mentioned it to me in the past. She appreciates TSN's commitment to USAH. I would assume that the NHL Network underwrites some of TSN's production costs at IIHF events (it is the international broadcaster) to create American content for American viewers in the U.S. to go along with the TSN feed they use for Team USA games. Why TSN gives it prime space on Canadian platforms (Dreger café w/American players) is a headscratcher. but I don't bother watching those anyway, generally because there isn't anything a hockey player has to say (no matter the nationality) that I find compelling enough to want to listen to.

Maybe it's all part of the master plan in a build up to 2022 and USA vs Canada Summit Series.
Dammit!! I knew it couldn't just be me, she has noticed it too eh?

Something is behind it for sure and it is probably what you are saying (and jack kind of alluded to it also) and maybe just maybe you are also onto something about that summit series.

But for damn sure it's been going on, there is a yearly co-focus on them for the past few years at both those tournaments. Very bizarre behavior for a a countries sports channel to annually also showcase another countries program (even more so in the case of hockey with Canada) it's totally unnatural and just doesn't happen anywhere and for obvious reasons.............................except in this case. When something like this is going down there has to be some hidden reason reason behind it, there just has to be, it just doesn't happen by accident.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Dammit!! I knew it couldn't just be me, she has noticed it too eh?

Something is behind it for sure and it is probably what you are saying (and jack kind of alluded to it also) and maybe just maybe you are also onto something about that summit series.

But for damn sure it's been going on, there is a yearly co-focus on them for the past few years at both those tournaments. Very bizarre behavior for a a countries sports channel to annually also showcase another countries program (even more so in the case of hockey with Canada) it's totally unnatural and just doesn't happen anywhere and for obvious reasons.............................except in this case. When something like this is going down there has to be some hidden reason reason behind it, there just has to be, it just doesn't happen by accident.

heads up. you should probably avoid tsn.ca/hockey-canada website today.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think there'll be something done in 2022 to mark 50 years since the Summit Series. Maybe a Team North America 8 game series vs. Team Sweden/Russia/Finland/Czech Republic.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I think there'll be something done in 2022 to mark 50 years since the Summit Series. Maybe a Team North America 8 game series vs. Team Sweden/Russia/Finland/Czech Republic.
That would be terrible.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I love tsn coverage, the best for any sport
hockey is growing immensely in the States... in Canada... we're in a stalemate, haven't won a cup 25-30 years?.... that's pretty pathetic actually

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
hockey is growing immensely in the States... in Canada... we're in a stalemate, haven't won a cup 25-30 years?.... that's pretty pathetic actually
I like their coverage too usually, i really miss them being station for n.h.l games.

But this stuff doesn't make any sense at all, it's a Canadian sports outlet, you don't pimp an opposing countries team constantly.

That's ridiculous.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I am still scratching my head over this, what is with TSN and this daily chit chat at the cafe with team U.S.A players? And also with in what has been for a few years now must have co-coverage along with Team Canada games at international events like the Wjc and whc?

Did I miss something and we became the 51st state somewhere along the way?

It's weird, guys, you are a Canadian sports channel, you are not supposed to be showcasing team u.s.a!

I've said it many times in other posts

Its tsn pumping up the Americans

Many usndp players are over pumped. Many don't live up to their pumping by tsn (I'm not saying they are horrible but not at the level of their tsn pumping level)

I guess tsn wants to grow the game also

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I've said it many times in other posts

Its tsn pumping up the Americans

Many usndp players are over pumped. Many don't live up to their pumping by tsn (I'm not saying they are horrible but not at the level of their tsn pumping level)

I guess tsn wants to grow the game also
But whats behind the pumping up though? Where do they benefit here? they don't even have the main nhl rights anymore and if they want to grow the game why wouldn't they be focusing on players and games from all over and not just the U.S team and players? you would think if it is a ratings thing for the whc and wjc then they would be working all the main countries over not just the U.S

It's very weird.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
It case nobody else has noticed I'll point it out for everyone. Hockey has gone "south". It's follow the money.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It case nobody else has noticed I'll point it out for everyone. Hockey has gone "south". It's follow the money.
Sure, that's been known for some time.

But that doesn't explain what's going on here. What is tsn's reason for having a 2nd team in international competitions? it's not the n.h.l That ain't cool.

Reactions: Star Ocean

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

I would not waste one second of my time watching this...if that's what they come up with.

it's either give us a real World Cup minus gimmicky teams or a summit series 2.0 featuring 8 games of Team Canada vs. Team USA. I prefer the 8 game Border Clash Summit Series...but that's just my preference.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
But whats behind the pumping up though? Where do they benefit here? they don't even have the main nhl rights anymore and if they want to grow the game why wouldn't they be focusing on players and games from all over and not just the U.S team and players? you would think if it is a ratings thing for the whc and wjc then they would be working all the main countries over not just the U.S

It's very weird.

Exactly they don't have the rights anymore.

So they have to go where the money is as another poster just mentioned above

Make up the mcdavid vs eichel show for the ratings

The Mathews show
The Hughes show

I'll tell you something , if lafrenierre draft was this year he would go first. Just saying , over Hughes

And by the way kakko >>> Hughes

And I'll say it here

Marner > Mathews. Said it here. Flame me

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Exactly they don't have the rights anymore.

So they have to go where the money is as another poster just mentioned above

Make up the mcdavid vs eichel show for the ratings

The Mathews show
The Hughes show

I'll tell you something , if lafrenierre draft was this year he would go first. Just saying , over Hughes

And by the way kakko >>> Hughes

And I'll say it here

Marner > Mathews. Said it here. Flame me
meh, you still don't do what they are doing, you just can't......It's a major Canadian sports channel, this would never fly anywhere else and certainly not south of the border if this was reversed.

And I doubt Lafreniere would go first overall if he were in this draft,I still have doubts he will go number one overall next year let alone this year, I think he is going to be challenged hard for that spot next season.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

What do club teams winning the Stanley Cup have to do with Canada and Canadian hockey?

The Stanley Cup has nothing to do with Canadian international hockey or the popularity of hockey in Canada.

Canada wins at the international level, this is the international section. Stanley Cup talk is irrelevant here.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
meh, you still don't do what they are doing, you just can't......It's a major Canadian sports channel, this would never fly anywhere else and certainly not south of the border if this was reversed.

And I doubt Lafreniere would go first overall if he were in this draft,I still have doubts he will go number one overall next year let alone this year, I think he is going to be challenged hard for that spot next season.

Absolutely lafreniere would go first overall this draft. Only challenger lafreniere would get is from kakko

Kakko should go first this year and if he doesn't then It's due to Hughes hype up

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Absolutely lafreniere would go first overall this draft. Only challenger lafreniere would get is from kakko

Kakko should go first this year and if he doesn't then It's due to Hughes hype up
Disagree, I don't see how he would be taken first at this point.

We have to wait and see just what kind of a season he has next year.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've noticed some of Miller and Ferraro's commentary, seems like there's more excitement for opposing teams than there be's for Canada, it might be just me though.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Sure, that's been known for some time.

But that doesn't explain what's going on here. What is tsn's reason for having a 2nd team in international competitions? it's not the n.h.l That ain't cool.

That second team is the United States of America. That makes a difference. We have no way of knowing what is going on behind the scenes (maybe nothing) between the NHL and TSN. It is no secret that the NHL wants to build the American brand,. That includes US NHL teams, US hockey players and American dominance in the sport.. Just American imperialism in another form (hockey)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That second team is the United States of America. That makes a difference. We have no way of knowing what is going on behind the scenes (maybe nothing) between the NHL and TSN. It is no secret that the NHL wants to build the American brand,. That includes US NHL teams, US hockey players and American dominance in the sport.. Just American imperialism in another form (hockey)
Sadly true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad