WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
nothing to jump up and down about. he's okay for a 4th.line center. I'll be fine with that. If he plays any higher in the lineup than that, then we're in trouble.

wait till you starting seeing names of the European based Canadian players named

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Regarding Tavares, it's time to see if his previous statements were true. Regarding Stone, that's a good addition. He was great in the first round and is probably the best available Canadian winger and third best Canadian winger overall.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I was hoping Stamkos would join the team, but it looks like he won't be doing that. Maybe Cirelli got a call? I would love to see a Tampa player on this team. Getting Stone is great though

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Regarding Tavares, it's time to see if his previous statements were true. Regarding Stone, that's a good addition. He was great in the first round and is probably the best available Canadian winger and third best Canadian winger overall.

you mean the "if healthy and available I would never refuse an opportunity to play for my country. It's an honor..." statements? Well, seldom is a man equal to his rhetoric, but we'll see soon enough. Judging by his earlier statements the only appropriate response the other day would have been an empathic yes, you bet. Count me in. But it was something considerably less than that.

I certainly hope some of the other young emerging stars (I'll include MacKinnon in the group) but players like P.L. Dubois, Matt Barzal have enough gas left in the tank after 2 rds. to get over there and help out...if they become available.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
you mean the "if healthy and available I would never refuse an opportunity to play for my country. It's an honor..." statements? Well, seldom is a man equal to his rhetoric, but we'll see soon enough. Judging by his earlier statements the only appropriate response the other day would have been an empathic yes, you bet. Count me in. But it was something considerably less than that.

I certainly hope some of the other young emerging stars (I'll include MacKinnon in the group) but players like P.L. Dubois, Matt Barzal have enough gas left in the tank after 2 rds. to get over there and help out...if they become available.
Seems rather silly to criticize a guy that probably just wanted to talk to the Leafs before committing to the tournament. I mean are we really going to get to the point of nit picking how guys accept playing in the tournament?

Reactions: NinjaKick and Smif

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Seems rather silly to criticize a guy that probably just wanted to talk to the Leafs before committing to the tournament. I mean are we really going to get to the point of nit picking how guys accept playing in the tournament?

Just illustrating for the masses the statements Jack referenced in his post...for those curious.

And I thought nitpicking is what hf posters do. Will you mind as much if I nitpick about Stamkos? probably not.

anyway, nobody has been a bigger J.T. fan than me, no matter which team he plays for or will play for in the future. He's played in 3 tournaments, and played well. For that he has earned some cred, but it's been 7 years, 1 serious injury and 1 2nd. rd. playoff appearance only goes so far though.

This year it's time for him to step up, play his 4th. tournament and I will never nitpick J.T's decisions again. He will have earned the right to go full Jarome Iginla on us. Just show up for the A-list NHL Olympics/World Cup tournaments with all the best players.

I have a lot riding on Canadian players showing up. My wife is American. our daughter is a dual. My wife and I have an agreement, whoever has the better roster, then that's the team our young one will cheer for. So far my wife has her Team USA sweater fitted and ready to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinjaKick

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just illustrating for the masses the statements Jack referenced in his post...for those curious.

And I thought nitpicking is what hf posters do. Will you mind as much if I nitpick about Stamkos? probably not.

anyway, nobody has been a bigger J.T. fan than me, no matter which team he plays for or will play for in the future. He's played in 3 tournaments, and played well. For that he has earned some cred, but it's been 7 years, 1 serious injury and 1 2nd. rd. playoff appearance only goes so far though.

This year it's time for him to step up, play his 4th. tournament and I will never nitpick J.T's decisions again. He will have earned the right to go full Jarome Iginla on us. Just show up for the A-list NHL Olympics/World Cup tournaments with all the best players.

I have a lot riding on Canadian players showing up. My wife is American. our daughter is a dual. My wife and I have an agreement, whoever has the better roster, then that's the team our young one will cheer for. So far my wife has her Team USA sweater fitted and ready to go.

You may be in a spot of trouble.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So far this players accepted?

Tyler Bertuzzi (DET)
Sean Couturier (PHI)
Adam Henrique (ANA)
Anthony Mantha (DET)
Sam Reinhart (BUF)
John Tavares (Isl)
Mark Stone (Veg)
Andreas Athanasiou (Det)

Thomas Chabot (OTT)

Matt Murray (Pens)
MacKenzie Blackwood (NJD)
Carter Hart (PHI)

XXX - Tavares - Stone
XXX - Couturier - Reinhart
Bertuzzi - Henrique - Mantha
Athanasiou -XXX - XXX

XXX - Chabot
XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX

Murray
Hart
Blackwood

Reactions: CanuckCity

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Solid additions up front and in net, but we need to figure out that D core.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
So far this players accepted?

Tyler Bertuzzi (DET)
Sean Couturier (PHI)
Adam Henrique (ANA)
Anthony Mantha (DET)
Sam Reinhart (BUF)
John Tavares (Isl)
Mark Stone (Veg)
Andreas Athanasiou (Det)

Thomas Chabot (OTT)

Matt Murray (Pens)
MacKenzie Blackwood (NJD)
Carter Hart (PHI)

XXX - Tavares - Stone
XXX - Couturier - Reinhart
Bertuzzi - Henrique - Mantha
Athanasiou -XXX - XXX

XXX - Chabot
XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX

Murray
Hart
Blackwood

Isl?
What year is it?

Reactions: Smif

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Good news re: Tavares and Stone. J.T. will make a great 2nd.line center on a gold medal contending team...that's if MacKinnon agrees to join the party next week. Then we'll be making whispers about playing the Americans in a gold medal game.

Now J.T.'s childhood street hockey pals from the neighborhood, Stamkos and Subban, need to answer the call and go help their buddy out. but we're not likely to hear from those 2.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
xxx xxx Stone (hoping it's Hubs and Nate) Damn you, McDavid. you would have to injure yourself in the 82nd. freaking meaningless game.
xxx Tavares Mantha (hoping it's Marchessault, if not then Athanasiou it will have to be)
Bertuzzi Couturier Reinhart
xxx Henrique xxx (I thought Shaw committed?

xxx xxx
Chabot xxx
xxx xxx
xxx

Murray
Hart
Blackwood

We still need some serious additions to challenge the Americans here...who appear to be, at long last, going for the glory.

Reactions: NinjaKick

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
I am so envious of how pretty much all American players can skate really well compared our roster:
I will provide a basic rating for skating:
A= above average
B=slightly above average
C=average
D=below average
SKATING COMPARISON:

Tyler Bertuzzi (DET) = C Jack Eichel =A
Sean Couturier (PHI) =C Patrick Kane = A
Adam Henrique (ANA)=C Dylan Larkin =A
Anthony Mantha (DET) =B James van Riemsdyk=B
Sam Reinhart (BUF)=D Clayton Keller = A
John Tavares (Isl)=B Alex DeBrincat =A
Mark Stone (Veg)=B Chris Kreider =A
Andreas Athanasiou (Det)=A Frank Vatrano B
Thomas Chabot (OTT)=A Luke Glendening=B
Colin White =B
Quinn Hughes = B
Alec Martinez =B
Ryan Suter =B

SERIOUSLY, why is every single American player can skate so well compared to Canadians players!!! You can barely find an American player in the NHL who cannot skate well or who is below grade B. Yet, we have so many players who are average or below average skaters. Can you imagine if there are more Canadian players can skate as well as the American? There will be more Canadian players in the NHL or at least being considered.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Happy Birthday to Drake Batherson. dude turns the big 21 today. can we get the Drake on the team, please. just a hunch, but I think he'd find instant chemistry with J.T. he's the high I.Q. winger that J.T. needs. if it doesn't work, well, he's there as a 14th. forward getting in a few games against G.B. and the like.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad