WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava

Cultural differences are fascinating. If a Slovak hockey player said they want to "focus on being a dad" instead of representing their country, they'd be driven out of the country by incensed hockey fans. :D (Well, the best players already are out of the country...)

Seems like Hockey Canada is waiting for the 1st round of the playoffs to come to an end.

Of course, and it's the reasonable thing to do. Slovakia always waits until the last possible moment for any potential NHL reinforcements to their squad. So why all the panic around here, guys? 18 days before puckdrop is luxury.

(And don't forget that also losers in the 2nd [!] play-off round can join this year's World Championships.)

Reactions: garbageteam

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Hi Everone,

Let's just forget about Sean Monohan. He would not have been able to pile up all the goals if he is not playing with J. Gaudreau. He is not a very quick skater and creative player for the large ice anyway.
:-(

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Good luck! trying to attract player playing on the West coast or from the West coast to play for Canada. Most of them will worry about money and their personal life. It is just the cultural influence from the West. You will notice this trend, please observe this, but it is for most players not everyone.

Reactions: Faterson

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Going to be a bad team. ThAnk goodness team GB is our division so we won't get relegated. Nearly happened a few years ago

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Going to be a bad team. ThAnk goodness team GB is our division so we won't get relegated. Nearly happened a few years ago
Lol thats absolutely not true. Canadas never been close to relegation at this tournament even with bad teams. Stop.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Could Subban, Johansen, Turris or Ellis come?

Johansen and Ellis would be nice. Turris? I suppose given what we're dealing with here, but I'm still banking on Tavares if Leafs go out tonight. I'm going to go down with the ship.

As for Subban? He probably has meetings in L.A. scheduled with his reps on strategizing his brand. If anybody wants answers as to how Subban's career has gone a little bit off the rails, there's your answer. He stopped thinking of himself as a hockey player and more of a brand he needs to market. So, until he comes to his senses, he should just go chill with Lindsey Vonn in L.A.

I don't know what's up with Hockey Canada this year, but did they cut the travel budget for players' families this year? only room in the budget for spouse/children. parents and siblings will have to fly on their own dime.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hockey Canada definitely needs to work on a waiver for Lafreniere. a 3rd. line of Lafreniere Veleno and Batherson would keep at least some spark of interest for me in tuning in...

A couple of junior players and a AHL player...sounds about right.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Hockey Canada definitely needs to work on a waiver for Lafreniere. a 3rd. line of Lafreniere Veleno and Batherson would keep at least some spark of interest for me in tuning in...

Cant tell if you’re being sarcastic, but, unless they’re playing sheltered minutes, Lafreniere and Veleno would get lit up at this level.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Lafreniere isn't ready for this level yet.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Id rather have Lafreniere and Veleno than random NHL fourth liners or washouts. At the very least it would be good experience for the world juniors. Unless Hart is otherworldly lets face it a Team Canada who's best forwards are Sean Couteriuer, Anthony Mantha and Sam Reinhart probably isn't winning anything.

Reactions: Gold Standard

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
dream scenario for Canada

Murray,Hurt, Blackwood

Steven Stamkos Jonathan Toews Brayden Point
Jonathan Huberdeau-Sean Couturier-Claude Giroux
Sam Reinhart Sean Monahan Mark Stone or Logan Couture
Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron or Tavares-Marner

Anthony Mantha Andreas Athanasiou
Tyler Bertuzzi

reserve list

Hoffman,Johansen etc

Mark Giordano- TJ Brodie
Thomas Chabot-Drew Daughty
PK Subban Ryan Ellis

Aaron Ekblad or Kris Letang

reserve list

Morrissey/Morgan Rielly etc

Last edited:

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Id rather have Lafreniere and Veleno than random NHL fourth liners or washouts. At the very least it would be good experience for the world juniors. Unless Hart is otherworldly lets face it a Team Canada who's best forwards are Sean Couteriuer, Anthony Mantha and Sam Reinhart probably isn't winning anything.

There’s a difference between not medalling and getting completely blown out of the water.
Sorry, but seasoned NHL 4th liners and top Euro league ‘washouts’ would completely obliterate the competition Lafreniere and Veleno are used to playing against in the CHL.
If your objective is to use the WC as a means to get players experience for the WJC, you might as well not even send a team.

Reactions: garbageteam

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
There’s a difference between not medalling and getting completely blown out of the water.
Sorry, but seasoned NHL 4th liners and top Euro league ‘washouts’ would completely obliterate the competition Lafreniere and Veleno are used to playing against in the CHL.
If your objective is to use the WC as a means to get players experience for the WJC, you might as well not even send a team.

I absolutely agree with Hanji on this. Canadian CHL elite players/kids do not have speed and skills to handle top European national teams. Even US college players or ECHL or AHL players can barely handle the speed and skill in the Men World Championship. HC can bring one or two CHL kids so they can play 1-2 exhibition games to learn from the men. Unless, they are the CHL generational superstars like Crosby, Kane, and McDavid, not many can handle the speed at this level.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I absolutely agree with Hanji on this. Canadian CHL elite players/kids do not have speed and skills to handle top European national teams. Even US college players or ECHL or AHL players can barely handle the speed and skill in the Men World Championship. HC can bring one or two CHL kids so they can play 1-2 exhibition games to learn from the men. Unless, they are the CHL generational superstars like Crosby, Kane, and McDavid, not many can handle the speed at this level.

really? most of the high level kids will play in nhl in october so why could they not play in wch which is lower level than nhl and less physical?

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
really? most of the high level kids will play in nhl in october so why could they not play in wch which is lower level than nhl and less physical?
If you think about wining the worlds then those CHL have nothing to do there period.
They will be destroyed physical even AHL players have hard time to be top EU players just saying

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
dream scenario for Canada

Murray,Hurt, Blackwood

Steven Stamkos Jonathan Toews Brayden Point
Jonathan Huberdeau-Sean Couturier-Claude Giroux
Sam Reinhart Sean Monahan Mark Stone or Logan Couture
Brad Marchand-Patrice Bergeron or Tavares-Marner

Anthony Mantha Andreas Athanasiou
Tyler Bertuzzi

reserve list

Hoffman,Johansen etc

Mark Giordano- TJ Brodie
Thomas Chabot-Drew Daughty
PK Subban Ryan Ellis

Aaron Ekblad or Kris Letang

reserve list

Morrissey/Morgan Rielly etc
A lot of them will come i think actually ,just HC have learned from the past ,so they don't let players, that say yes later on tell anything

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Right, but it's not 'next year' yet. As of now, those kids have yet to play a single game against men.
Lafreniere and Veleno had an accumulative 3 points in 10 games at the WJC, and you want them on the 3rd line at the WC? Yeah, good luck with that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Right, but it's not 'next year' yet. As of now, those kids have yet to play a single game against men.
Lafreniere and Veleno had an accumulative 3 points in 10 games at the WJC, and you want them on the 3rd line at the WC? Yeah, good luck with that.

ok add someone from NCAA then .

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that you add Lafreniere or Veleno (or whichever other prospects) and also legitimately compete in the tournament. I'd much rather get even a mild developmental opportunity for some young guys than go with low end NHLers with little potential. If you're almost certainly going to lose either way might as well throw in some guys who could benefit from the experience. I don't expect that such a situation is going to happen though. The tournament may be pretty much meaningless, but Hockey Canada can't exactly convey that with its roster picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad