WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He's good defensively too
I know...was just responding to the point you made. At the end of the day though there are 3 spots in the top 4 that are on absolute lock. Bouchard Dobson and Smith are a step above. Then there is a large group of players in the conversation for the rest of the spots. I dont see Brook factoring into the top 4 but if he comes to camp and justifies it with his play and not who his coach is then it's all good.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I know...was just responding to the point you made. At the end of the day though there are 3 spots in the top 4 that are on absolute lock. Bouchard Dobson and Smith are a step above. Then there is a large group of players in the conversation for the rest of the spots. I dont see Brook factoring into the top 4 but if he comes to camp and justifies it with his play and not who his coach is then it's all good.

Other than draft position, I don't see why Dobson would be a lock in the top 4. It doesn't seem like he is having a great year

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I still think there's a realistic chance they get one of Vilardi or Rasmussen. Thomas seems like a lost cause given how well he's played for the Blues as of late.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thats a huge get. Should have 3 really great lines. Hoping the 4th line can chip in as well. Want to get Thomas too but I don’t think that’s likely.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Be-autiful.

Lafreniere-Glass-Suzuki
Comtois-Hayton-Tippett/Frost
Formenton-Bowers/JAD-Leason
Foudy-Studnicka/Veleno-Dellandrea
Bellerive

Smith-Dobson
Joseph-Bouchard
McIsaac-Brook
Mitchell/Beaudin

Scott
DiPietro

So many forward options now. Our LWs are absolutely stacked with all of Lafreniere, Comtois, Formenton, and Frost very worthy of top-6 roles, and Foudy a must-have force in the bottom-6.

Defence just continues to keep getting juicier as players maintain outstanding seasons.

And our goaltending is as strong as it has ever been.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I know TC doesn't usually take NCAA players, especially 18 year olds, but Jacob Bernard-Docker is having a fantastic season. He has 7 points in 12 games. It's a very similar pace to Cale Makar last season, when Makar was 19.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Be-autiful.

Lafreniere-Glass-Suzuki
Comtois-Hayton-Tippett/Frost
Formenton-Bowers/JAD-Leason
Foudy-Studnicka/Veleno-Dellandrea
Bellerive

Smith-Dobson
Joseph-Bouchard
McIsaac-Brook
Mitchell/Beaudin

Scott
DiPietro

So many forward options now. Our LWs are absolutely stacked with all of Lafreniere, Comtois, Formenton, and Frost very worthy of top-6 roles, and Foudy a must-have force in the bottom-6.

Defence just continues to keep getting juicier as players maintain outstanding seasons.

And our goaltending is as strong as it has ever been.
Team looks to be shaping up on paper, little worried about the performance of some of the guys in the Canada-Russia series though.

Still, if we could only get Thomas (i know unlikely) I think on paper we would have to be looked at as the favourite, maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Team looks to be shaping up on paper, little worried about the performance of some of the guys in the Canada-Russia series though.

Still, if we could only get Thomas (i know unlikely) I think on paper we would have to be looked at as the favourite, maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.
I think it is important not to look into those games very much honestly.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Anyone leaving Brook (not Brooks) off the team is out of their mind. He should be a lock for the top 4, but Dobson and Bouchard are both damn fine players. Still, I'd trust Brook and Dobson before I trusted Bouchard defensively.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Joseph is outplaying him in the Q, and Bouchard is having a terrific year.
I watch all lot of Q, especially the Maritime division. Dobson is the best D in the league quite easily, despite the stats.

Put Joseph on Bathurst and he wouldn't be doing well either, they are, at best, the 2nd worst team in the CHL, likewise for Dobson in Charlottetown.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I watch all lot of Q, especially the Maritime division. Dobson is the best D in the league quite easily, despite the stats.

Put Joseph on Bathurst and he wouldn't be doing well either, they are, at best, the 2nd worst team in the CHL, likewise for Dobson in Charlottetown.

I also watch the Q, and I don’t buy it. Dobson is a good prospect on a bad team, but that doesn’t excuse his play this year, which has been on a lower level than what I and others had hoped he would be at.

Reactions: dralaf

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I also watch the Q, and I don’t buy it. Dobson is a good prospect on a bad team, but that doesn’t excuse his play this year, which has been on a lower level than what I and others had hoped he would be at.
Take it for what it's worth, and all good if you dont believe me, more than fair, but Dobson is HC's guy on D.

Teams in the Q are already swarming Chicoutimi for Dobson (2 in the Maritime division), and I know it's a common thought around the Q that he's the best D in the league.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Comtois is significant because our left wing becomes so much stronger. Having a guy like Foudy on your 4th line will be valuable, he's a great utility player, fast, good stick, physical, high hockey sense. It also takes some pressure off Lafreniere to produce if he makes the team.

I'm hesitant on Frost, he's producing really well in the OHL but so did Steenbergen and he wasn't worth much value to the team until his tournament-winning goal. It's important to pick the best team, not the best players and I wouldn't be surprised to see Frost cut. I didn't notice him in the Summer Camp or the Super Series at all. Frost was on my team before Comtois was added, but now I feel like he's someone who could come out.

3 scoring lines and 1 checking line is usually the set-up for HC. Is Frost valuable enough to be a top 9 player because he doesn't fit the 4th line on my team.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
If you think a s**tty team doesnt have a negative effect on any good player then you need to reevaluate that position. Josephs stats would be a lot worse than Dobsons on that Titan team. Theyve been absolutely gutted since their Memorial Cup win.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Comtois is significant because our left wing becomes so much stronger. Having a guy like Foudy on your 4th line will be valuable, he's a great utility player, fast, good stick, physical, high hockey sense. It also takes some pressure off Lafreniere to produce if he makes the team.

I'm hesitant on Frost, he's producing really well in the OHL but so did Steenbergen and he wasn't worth much value to the team until his tournament-winning goal. It's important to pick the best team, not the best players and I wouldn't be surprised to see Frost cut. I didn't notice him in the Summer Camp or the Super Series at all. Frost was on my team before Comtois was added, but now I feel like he's someone who could come out.

3 scoring lines and 1 checking line is usually the set-up for HC. Is Frost valuable enough to be a top 9 player because he doesn't fit the 4th line on my team.

If CHL production is your baseline then Frost is much more proven than Steenbergen was. Steenbergen put up 47 points in 62 games in his 17 year and wasn't drafted. Frost 62 in 67 and a 1st rounder. Steenbergen got drafted late as an draft overager the following year after 90 in 72, Frost had 112 in 67. This year Frost 41 in 25, last year this time Steenbergen had 54 in 23. Steenbergen had a huge start to last year, better than Frost has this year for sure, but it's different paths, where Steenbergen was mostly picked based on a white hot 3 months, while Frost has consistently been better.

A better Steenbergen comparison this year would be Trey Fix-Wolansky, passed over in 2017 after being 16 points below PPG, taken late as a draft overager in 2018 after 89 in 71, 1 less point in 1 less game than Steenbergen, and now 51 in 26 this year. Probably won't make this team. Probably shouldn't make this team.

I haven't seen a ton of Frost, didn't get to watch his SS game so can't comment on that, but he'll definitely be in camp where the more important small samples come, and I think he'll be on the team barring a really bad camp.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Other than draft position, I don't see why Dobson would be a lock in the top 4. It doesn't seem like he is having a great year

Dobson has been really bad this year. People forget his D partner after was a veteran top point producer in the Q that propped him. He plays a very vanilla game.

I think Dobson will make it but definitely not as high on him as I was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad