WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Not sure about Formenton with the C. He isn't even C on London.

Traditionally the Captain of the team played at the previous WJC. Laughton, Nugent-Hopkins and Chipchura are the last 3 to not play the previous year and wear it. However RNH is a little different situation due to the lockout... Laughton also wasn’t the captain of his jr team before sporting the C for Canada.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not sure about Formenton with the C. He isn't even C on London.

Yeah hes one of the few returnees and has some decent NHL experience. He doesnt scream captain to me but no one on the roster really does. I could see if Thomas or Rasmussen are returned from the NHL that they get it. Thomas is returning and was pretty good in last years tourney/mem cup playoffs. Rasmussen was a young captain on tri city last season and is having a pretty solid start to his rookie year in the NHL. He wouldnt be a returnee but I would think playing in the NHL and being sent back would trump a guy like Forementon who isnt a junior captain but has played in the tourney before.

I think Thomas would likely get it over Rasmussen if theyre both sent back because hes a returning player. But would they not give it to a returning NHLer who is only being sent down for the tournament?

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Yeah hes one of the few returnees and has some decent NHL experience. He doesnt scream captain to me but no one on the roster really does. I could see if Thomas or Rasmussen are returned from the NHL that they get it. Thomas is returning and was pretty good in last years tourney/mem cup playoffs. Rasmussen was a young captain on tri city last season and is having a pretty solid start to his rookie year in the NHL. He wouldnt be a returnee but I would think playing in the NHL and being sent back would trump a guy like Forementon who isnt a junior captain but has played in the tourney before.

I think Thomas would likely get it over Rasmussen if theyre both sent back because hes a returning player. But would they not give it to a returning NHLer who is only being sent down for the tournament?
Thomas would have my vote if he's back. As for Formenton, I don't think NHL experience is enough - I could be wrong though.

NSHockeyfanCH

Dec 28, 2017
I haven’t been impressed with Dobson’s play so far this season, I think Bouchard will slot in higher than him... I could see Joseph/Bouchard and Smith/Dobson pairings though. Also I wanted Lafreniere on the 1st line but I think initially they’ll give Formenton the chance. He’s likely the captain of the team, he’s going to be relied upon heavily, I assume he’s a top 6 forward.
it doesnt really help that dobsons team gets destroyed most games, he is the best player on his team and the best defencemen in the league just doesnt have any help to make him look good

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
People are actually claiming to regularly watch Acadie-Bathurst games this year? lol

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
it doesnt really help that dobsons team gets destroyed most games, he is the best player on his team and the best defencemen in the league just doesnt have any help to make him look good

It doesn’t at all but it also doesn’t help that he looks generally disinterested in playing there. It’s hard not to blame him, the team sucks, he already is aware that he’s been traded and is just putting in the time until that happens.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Brook is a lock in the top 6.
His junior coach is TC's coach and he is having a great season (23 pts in 16 games).

I think he's even going to be in the top 4. Probably over Dobson

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Why is everyone putting Frost on the team? He plays poorly on both the CHL/Russia Series and Summer show case. Please review the videos if you have recorded, i wish i still have them. There were several give-ways that he did. He is also not very quick and great skater. There are a few players who are ahead of him in OHL scoring and they are not even invited.

Please note that the WJHC is a very fast pace game, like AHL playoff level. Against the top team like USA, Russia, Sweden, speed and pace are crucial. If a player causes giveaway, that can be a goal for those 3 top teams, meaning losing the gold medal. So, please review the video of how Frost plays, adjust your comment appropriately, unless you are vouching for the other top teams.

I would hope HC put out this forward roster. One weak link or mistake can mean losing the gold medal. So you please reconsider.

Formenton- Glass- Suzuki
Bellerive- Hayton- Tippett
Lafreniere- Bowers- Leason
Foudy- Studnicka- Dellandrea
Anderson-Dolan or Vilardi or Enwistle.

You're entitled to your opinion of his play level in those games. Maybe you think 2 games in mid summer, and 1 random game with little to no practice vs Russia are a great evaluation tools. That's your prerogative.

But saying he is slow is proven wrong by on ice testing vs the best players in his draft class...

On-Ice Tests:
30M Forward Skate:

1 – Morgan Frost (Sault Ste. Marie Greyounds) 3.991
2 – Stelio Mattheos (Brandon Wheat Kings)
3 – Cody Glass (Portland Winterhawks)

30M Forward Skate with Puck:
1 – Morgan Frost (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
3 – Henri Jokiharju (Portland Winterhawks)

Also, you say there are players "ahead of him in OHL scoring and they are not even invited." Which is a very puzzling statement. See below.

Pt/game scoring of Canadian OHL players eligible for the upcoming WJC...

2018/19 season:
Nick Suzuki
Barrett Hayton
Owen Tippett

2017/18 season:
Gabe Vilardi

... That's it. That's the list. You can be anti-Frost, but at least get your facts straight.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You're entitled to your opinion of his play level in those games. Maybe you think 2 games in mid summer, and 1 random game with little to no practice vs Russia are a great evaluation tools. That's your prerogative.

But saying he is slow is proven wrong by on ice testing vs the best players in his draft class...

It doesnt really matter if you think 2 games in the summer and a game against Russia is a good evaluation tool, I think Hockey Canada likes to use those games as evaluation or they wouldnt play them. They put all the skill together so its easier to compare. Watching Frost in those games where the talent level was higher than your regular OHL game, he really didnt look good. To the point that he was kinda called out by name by Hunter after the summer camp.

Frost is a high end offensive guy no doubt, but he doesnt seem to be able to elevate his game so far against the higher end talent. He also doesnt really bring anything to the table besides offensive play. So he may end up making it still because they also scout the regular season games and Im assuming hes been better in those. But he also plays a role in those games that he wont for Canada and Hunter outright said he want to see more versatility out of him.

I also have to agree hes looked a bit slow compared to what I expected when the games get faster. I'm not saying Frost is Seth Griffith but I remember watching Canada Russia in Sarnia when Shiefele and Griffith were the leading scorers in the OHL and you could see the difference in their speed once the talent got separated. Frost is seeming to have a little issue with that. I wouldnt say he was slow but I expected him to be faster than he looked

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think Jett Woo makes it, he's physical, drafted by Vancouver, half Chinese which is a selling point to the large size Chinese community in Vancouver, there are just too many political reasons behind it, not that I agree with it

He's not good enough, though. I would take a lot of other players in that 4th line role.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It doesnt really matter if you think 2 games in the summer and a game against Russia is a good evaluation tool, I think Hockey Canada likes to use those games as evaluation or they wouldnt play them. They put all the skill together so its easier to compare. Watching Frost in those games where the talent level was higher than your regular OHL game, he really didnt look good. To the point that he was kinda called out by name by Hunter after the summer camp.

I think it’s definitely a part of the evaluation process and can’t be overlooked, all live viewings are good viewings. However, I think they’re a little overrated as far as what goes on to selecting the team. If you’re unsure about 2 guys and one performs in those scenarios and the other doesn’t, then I think it tips the scale. The most important part I think (outside of their regular seasons) is the December selection camp (obviously). The things you do in those scenarios, how you practice and compete go much further than how you perform in the games. I think it’s easier to get the benefit of the doubt if you’re doing all the little things in practice but struggled to some degree in the games against Russia/pre-tournament, then it is for a guy that doesn’t do the little things at practice but maybe outperforms some people in the games.

Also another aspect of this whole process that we aren’t privy too, is the conversations they have with the coaches of their junior teams... which I’m sure happen, how they compete in practice, what kind of teammate they are, are they respected, etc, etc. We really only get to see half the process, which is the problem with trying to scout/predict these teams and or the draft. What the coaches and players say is equally (or maybe even more important) than how the player actually performs when on the ice. Especially in a short tournament and in this format where every player is skilled enough to play and probably not experience much of a drop off.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Mr. Stizzle said ''
On-Ice Tests:
30M Forward Skate:

1 – Morgan Frost (Sault Ste. Marie Greyounds) 3.991
3 – Cody Glass (Portland Winterhawks)

30M Forward Skate with Puck:
1 – Morgan Frost (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
3 – Henri Jokiharju (Portland Winterhawks)

Also, you say there are players "ahead of him in OHL scoring and they are not even invited." Which is a very puzzling statement. See below.

Pt/game scoring of Canadian OHL players eligible for the upcoming WJC...

2018/19 season:
Nick Suzuki
Barrett Hayton
Owen Tippett

2017/18 season:
Gabe Vilardi

... That's it. That's the list. You can be anti-Frost, but at least get your facts straight.

Hello Stizzle,

I am not anti/against any player. May i correct myself when i said Frost is slow? I meant to say he appears slower than most players on the ice, especially compared against opposing players. Please NOTE that the WJHC PACE/SPEED is a lot quicker than CHL games and it is a short tournament. IF player cannot elevate his game speed to the next level, he will NOT be able to help the team. Sure, if you do not want Canada to win gold or have difficulties winning gold, we can always put slower players on the team.

Just a few days, Keating, Austen was ahead of Frost in terms of points. I do not think/anticipate that he will be invited to the camp. Keating is another player who is similar to Frost. Keating did not show that he played the pace which WJHC requires.

Please reread my objective analysis carefully, I said in Scoring (meaning OHL scoring ranking NOT POINT PER GAME).

MAY i ask where did you get the data from ? I just want to verify your information regarding the ON ICE TEST.
Thanks,

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Here are the projected D list:
LD RD
Smith Bouchard
Joseph Dobson
McIsaac Mitchell
Brooks or Merkley

Here are the invitation list for Defense:
Smith Bouchard
Joseph Dobson
McIsaac Mitchell
Brooks or Merkley
Bahl Phillips

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The consensus is that Bouchard will be the captain of this team, no?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The consensus is that Bouchard will be the captain of this team, no?
I don't think so. It will probably go to a returning player. Now, who that is could be tough to figure out. My guess is they don't get Thomas back, but they could get Comtois, and they absolutely are getting Formenton. If they get Thomas back on loan, I'd be shocked if he isn't captain (but Blues are starting to give him minutes).

Edit: Just to illustrate, here are Canada's last WJC captains going back until 2008. Dillon Dube, Dylan Strome, Brayden Point, Curtis Lazar, Scott Laughton, Jaden Schwartz, Ryan Ellis, Patrice Cormier, Thomas Hickey, and Karl Alzner. Every captain outside of Laughton was a returning 19 year old player. Now, with Canada maybe only having one returning player, it wouldn't shock me to see Bouchard or someone else get it, but it would be unusual. Laughton getting it over G. Reinhart that year is actually surprising in retrospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
thumbs up to Brett Leason. The Tyler Steenbergen surprise player award should be renamed. Hopefully Leason can replicate what Steenbergen did last year, net the golden goal.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I’d like Morgan Frost on the team just so they can bring Andy Frost along to be the PA guy :naughty:
Seriously though, I don’t see any way he’s not on the team unless Thomas and Rasmussen are loaned out.
No mention of Ryan McLeod, is he completely out of the picture now?

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Formenton-Hayton-Tippett
Lafreniere-Morand-Glass
Frost-Suzuki-?
Bellerive-Lavoie-Leason
?

Joseph-Bouchard
Smith-Brooks
Woo-Dobson
McIssac