Can you imagine how Matt Duchene feels right now?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Te most practical and face saving solution for both parties probably is a deadline trade. The can play the "circumstances have changed" card.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ottawa's season start going bad right after Duchene arrived there?
Their first two games after the Duchene trade have been against the Avs in Stockholm, and they've won both of those, but after they returned to NA they have won 1 out of their next 13 games and got 4 out of 26 possible points and never recovered.

PS

They were 9-3-5 going into that skid.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Must be rough being Duchene....... getting paid millions to play hockey. How will he manage!!!?? Oh the horror

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
As an Avs fan, I really don't feel bad for the guy. He forced his way out of Colorado, none of his team mates wanted him here because they knew he didn't want to be here. Honestly I feel like he was the thing holding us back by making it awkward for everyone. Then kind of threw the Avs organization under the bus by stating he just wants to play playoff hockey immediately after he was traded.

Once he was gone everyone took a big sigh of relief and we just played hockey and our guys looked like they truly enjoyed it.

It sucks that everything appears to be heading south in Ottawa that's not his fault. But that's what happens sometimes when you think the grass is greener elsewhere. It's not always the case.
It's a shame what happened to Duchene for me. I loved watching him in junior and his first few years with the Avs then things got all weird. I'm not sure I'd want the guy on my team even if he signed here and we didn't give up any assets.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I couldn't really fault the guy for wanting a change of scenery at the time. Obviously his decision to go to Ottawa has turned out laughably bad but he still has options for now. Personally I still hope it works out for him somewhere.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
It's a shame what happened to Duchene for me. I loved watching him in junior and his first few years with the Avs then things got all weird. I'm not sure I'd want the guy on my team even if he signed here and we didn't give up any assets.

That is just stupid and uncalled for. Especially after all the Ottawa s dirty laundry came out. Duchene was one of the few bright spots on that roster.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Sorry -- more or less I meant his desire to leave Colorado. He seemed pretty on board with going to Ottawa at the time.

Yeah I dont think anybody could predict such a good Avs season and such a trainwrack Ottawa season. I dont know why were people offended that Duchene wanted the change of scenary after his team had one of the worst seasons of modern era hockey, and was activly getting shopped during that time. And the return Avs got for him should be enough to appriciate him.

Reactions: The Shovel Penguin

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's actually not in that bad of a situation. Team has zero expectations so he can just go out there and pile up points knowing he'll get paid by some other team the following season when he walks.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Sens are a complete disaster now with everything going on .. Id walk 100% if i were him after next year finishes and hes a UFA

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What a disaster that trade has been. He will be traded agin at the deadline., What a waste for the Sens. They thought they had a contender when they made that trade.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
You know he is going to though. Why the heck would he stick around.

two reasons I can think of is that Haliburton, Duchene's hometown, is not too far away from Ottawa, or if Ottawa gives him stupid amounts of money that no other team is willing to offer him.

But I mean if I were him I would leave Eugene Melnyk's mess and try to sign with a contending team. He's doomed going into next season, unless he demands a trade during the trade deadline.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Ottawa's season start going bad right after Duchene arrived there?

Yes.

However the trip also coincided with the trip to Sweden at which point the schedule got legit batshit insane for us.

Duchene took a while to get comfortable but even before he was producing he was playing well.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Joe Sakic saved his bacon by trading Duchene. It might just be a coincidence that the Avs started to play better when he was gone, but if i am a GM of any other team, i am curious what happened in that locker room and what kind of person he is.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Sorry to interject some facts into this "pile on the Sens" party.

Duchene was interviewed following the end of the year meetings and was excited about the plan. While this was before the EK\Hoff drama went public, it is certainly well after he knew about the issue. Matt seemed very happy with what he heard from Dorion and was looking forward to being part of the solution, which must have included how Pierre planned on dealing with the divided lockeroom.

I know in every Sens haters fantasy, EK is already gone, but in the real world he's still a Sens asset and has the chance to re-sign as of July 1st. Moving Hoff seems inevitable, but the "Karlsson is 100% gone" morons are simply projecting their hopes as reality.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
confirmed that when Duchene leaves the following will happen:

Chabot norris contender
Batherson turns into Giroux
Stone first winger this decade to win selke
Bobby Ryan gets high school diploma
New Sens owner - Celine Dion
sweeps Leafs in the 1st rd

We call him on the Oilers next. One year 20m contract. We need some Duchene-magic when he leaves.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
We call him on the Oilers next. One year 20m contract. We need some Duchene-magic when he leaves.
Don't give Chia any ideas, he will throw in a bonus 2nd round pick for free, a prospect and future considerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad