Can you imagine how Matt Duchene feels right now?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
What a disaster that trade has been. He will be traded agin at the deadline., What a waste for the Sens. They thought they had a contender when they made that trade.
The Sens switched gears from trying to contend to rebuilding so fast it threw out their transmission.

Dutch is cashing the same paycheck as he was when he asked out of Colorado, now Ottawa is experiencing his state reason for asking for a trade.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Sorry to interject some facts into this "pile on the Sens" party.

Duchene was interviewed following the end of the year meetings and was excited about the plan. While this was before the EK\Hoff drama went public, it is certainly well after he knew about the issue. Matt seemed very happy with what he heard from Dorion and was looking forward to being part of the solution, which must have included how Pierre planned on dealing with the divided lockeroom.

I know in every Sens haters fantasy, EK is already gone, but in the real world he's still a Sens asset and has the chance to re-sign as of July 1st. Moving Hoff seems inevitable, but the "Karlsson is 100% gone" morons are simply projecting their hopes as reality.
What was he supposed to say? "I'm only renting a house here in Ottawa for a reason. I also told my wife not to get too attached to her hair stylist."

Reactions: Cane mutiny

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
First, Ottawa trades a possible top 10 pick and a good young roster player for Bobby Ryan. Then, the heart & soul of the team (Alfredsson) left. Lastly, Ottawa is forced to sign Ryan to a bloated contract as a result of this.

Now, Ottawa tradeed a possible top 10 pick and a good young player (indirectly Girard) for Matt Duchene. Then, the heart & soul of the team (Karlsson) is leaving. One has to think overpaying for Duchene would be a mistake here.

I'd re-trade him and cut my losses. Blow it up.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
He can still call the shots. He only has to put up with this for a few more months and then if he tells them he's not signing before he's UFA then they'll almost certainly trade him and it's likely to be to a contender. Then next summer he can sign with whomever he wants for a crapload of money, especially if he has a good season. Just a roadbump for him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He can still call the shots. He only has to put up with this for a few more months and then if he tells them he's not signing before he's UFA then they'll almost certainly trade him and it's likely to be to a contender. Then next summer he can sign with whomever he wants for a crapload of money, especially if he has a good season. Just a roadbump for him.
Given what Ottawa traded to acquire Duchene, wouldn't they want to try and trade him for something that makes up for what they originally gave up? If that's true I think it can be harder for Dorion to trade him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Given what Ottawa traded to acquire Duchene, wouldn't they want to try and trade him for something that makes up for what they originally gave up? If that's true I think it can be harder for Dorion to trade him.
They can't get the same value most likely. They got him for basically two seasons. Next team gets him for one. Unless they re-sign him and to a good value deal, there is really no way for them to win the trade or even make it look close (unless he is somehow a key part of an Ottawa team winning the cup next year).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably loving it. Come next year there might be no one left and he can ask for a stupid contract from Ottawa and they would have to pay him

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
The guy you have to feel for in Ottawa is Thomas Chabot.

Duchene, Stone, Karlsson can leave by the end of next season.
I'm sure he'll hate being the #1 dman on the team and getting paid like it eventually. Or he could ask for a trade of course :sarcasm:

Reactions: Guerzy

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sure he'll hate being the #1 dman on the team and getting paid like it eventually. Or he could ask for a trade of course :sarcasm:

You generally want to ease a player into those kinds of responsibilities unless he is an absolute superstar and Chabot is no Doughty or Karlsson. You also want them to have a decent partner to play with. Being the only decent player on a horrible, horrible defence will cause irreparable damage to his development.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He's one year from free agency. If he wants to continue chasing cup contending, he can do so. If he choose to stay in Ottawa, he made his bed.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Imagine how Dorion and Ottawa fans feel. Even with all oars in water Duchene, Hoffman and Karlsson the Sens would likely finish out of the playoffs and be a lottery team, without a the # 1 pick.
Now with EK not going to resigned...a trade is necessary, Duchene is upcoming UFA could be traded and Hoffman and his situation , the 2019 pick going to Colarado could be very high indeed.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really don't care about his day to day happiness over not playing for a winner. He's paid millions of dollars to play a sport.

I have empathy for NHLers and former NHLers with real-life issues such as Karlsson, Jordan Staal, and Nick Boynton. But, a guy continually playing for a losing team... Whatever. Play better and be a better leader. If he walks around in pity because he is in Ottawa losing right now, he won't win anything in a role above being a role player.

Reactions: JT Kreider and BM14

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
You generally want to ease a player into those kinds of responsibilities unless he is an absolute superstar and Chabot is no Doughty or Karlsson. You also want them to have a decent partner to play with. Being the only decent player on a horrible, horrible defence will cause irreparable damage to his development.
Wow sounds like you’ve got it all down pat, when are you signing your NHL head coaching contract :)

Reactions: Guerzy

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’m guessing he was going into last season thinking his situation couldn’t possibly get any worse, and a year later, here we are. The only place that could even begin to match the dumpster fire that was the 16-17 Avs.

I hope the Sens get a new owner and settle things down after the coming season. I’d like to see both them and Duchene do wel.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I personally don't care how anyone feels. Feelings are the responsibility of the individual, not society at large. These days we're trying to legislate happiness but it simply doesn't work that way. Duchene made a decision and has to live with the consequences which might include hurt feelings. It's called being an adult, everyone deals with it and nobody else should really care.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: