Can we talk about Geno?

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
The idea that any sports fan "watches the games" is one of the great myths of all time. Only a handful of us actually watch the games and you can count on one hand how many actually see the game. We only claim to watch as a matter of status and propriety, like how an entire city will say they were present at a major event only witnessed by a small group.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The idea that any sports fan "watches the games" is one of the great myths of all time. Only a handful of us actually watch the games and you can count on one hand how many actually see the game. We only claim to watch as a matter of status and propriety, like how an entire city will say they were present at a major event only witnessed by a small group.

You really believe we don't watch the games :laugh:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I haven't actually watched an NHL Penguins game since 1992 or so. My dad took me to the Hartford Civic Center to see them play the Whalers. I was about four at the time and spent most of the game freaked out about the crowd. Arena buzzers terrified me, too. When I noticed the period was almost over, I would stick my fingers in my ears. But even then, I knew I had seen enough to last a lifetime of talking hockey. The rest of my knowledge comes from video games.

I did have season tickets for the Baby Pens last year, but I spent most games napping or reading back issues of Better Homes and Gardens. I only paid attention when Bobby Farnham was on the ice. By the end of January I decided I had seen enough and moved to the desert to parse all this new data.

And that's how I know you have to consider trading Malkin if you're a serious advocate of shaking this team up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin and Jokinen are a combined minus-NINE so far this season, and yet we're supposed to believe that the second line has been working well so far this season. Neal was already a minus-1 on Saturday.

And yet, we're just going to continue to use the same lines in the top six because of seniority. :shakehead

Exactly. I knew you'd understand eventually. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly, I think there is a huge problem with Geno and I think it's about time he corrected it. It's time for him to man up and grow some facial hair, that slick clean shaven look is hurting his game, it really is. He needs a manly beard, the manliest, it will restore his chi.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I think there is a huge problem with Geno and I think it's about time he corrected it. It's time for him to man up and grow some facial hair, that slick clean shaven look is hurting his game, it really is. He needs a manly beard, the manliest, it will restore his chi.

Exactly

AssistantCaptain*

Is there a reason why Malkins +/- continues to take a beating? I watched majority of the game and would say he was the best player on the ice but again he was -1

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Is there a reason why Malkins +/- continues to take a beating? I watched majority of the game and would say he was the best player on the ice but again he was -1

Because he doesn't get the + marks from anywhere. Snakebitten, lacking ES line chemistry and points quite often produced on PP. He's been playing very well recently and generates a ton of chances per game, but the pucks don't just go in on ES.

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Malkin and Neal had just come over the boards when the first goal was scored

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
I remember Geno's shot being a lot better - quicker release, heavier, more accurate. I don't think he's been the same since that shoulder injury last year. He obviously still has skating, strength and vision in spades, but without a deadly wrist shot his game is just not the same.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
If Bylsma were fired and Niskanen traded and BB put on #71's left and both Vitale and Megna given more ice time, Geno would do fine.

AssistantCaptain*

Thanks for answering my question. I agree his shots are lacking sauce and hope that it will continue to progress throughout the season. I can't believe your pp is 7th and not 1st in the league when you got malkin-Crosby-Neal-letang-Kunitz. Just doesn't make sense based on the amazing pick movement but I guess not having malkin pull the trigger like he used to may be the cause of that.
Just to get a better understanding of malkins value, what would edmonton have to offer to pry him from your hands? Oilers have a top 3 pick available this year as well.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Because he doesn't get the + marks from anywhere. Snakebitten, lacking ES line chemistry and points quite often produced on PP. He's been playing very well recently and generates a ton of chances per game, but the pucks don't just go in on ES.

I'm not sure how you can say Malkin has been lacking ES line chemistry. Him and Jokinen play off each other rather well and since Neal has been back they've been more of the same.

If Geno's shoulder is still a problem he should be taking time off now while we don't need him as much. We can still win games without him right now, we need him 100% for the final stretch and playoffs.

zantiubraun

Jul 2, 2013
Just to get a better understanding of malkins value, what would edmonton have to offer to pry him from your hands? Oilers have a top 3 pick available this year as well.

Hi! I'm a pens fan but don't usually write. Only when I'm really bored, enough to do with reading usually :P. But I follow NHL a lot and read the main forum and pens forum.

Sorry for the ot, I just wanted to answer this. Malkin is my favourite player so all pens fans might not agree with me but I would never trade Malkin for example for Hall and Nugent-Hopkins. A second line of Hall - RNH - Eberle for Malkin would maybe do but Oilers certainly wouldn't like that :D. And I think pens are not so interested in high draft picks now because with this core it has been too long since the last cup championship.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
I'm not sure how you can say Malkin has been lacking ES line chemistry.

I agree with the part between Jokinen and Malkin, although Jokinen plays way too inconsistently comparing to Malkin's late, constant relentlessness. Neal's been back only for one game now and I hope it translates into a barrage of goals for Malkin's line. But yeah, the main point was that the puck hasn't just found the net on ES for Malkin's plays, which explains the lack of +.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Based on the way Shero values his players, especially his stars, there's a 0% chance of us trading Malkin. He'd have to be really terrible for a few years. Then he'd actually have to bang Shero's wife. And daughter. And son. and then maybe, just maybe, Shero would consider moving him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad