Can we talk about Geno?

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Despite the goal scoring issues Gino has, he is only 6 points behind the top of the League in points! Gino has been productive..

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Despite the goal scoring issues Gino has, he is only 6 points behind the top of the League in points! Gino has been productive..
I was just looking at the stats and noticed.
While his goal scoring is terrible, his assists are like second.

This makes me wonder if one or a combo of the following is happening:

1) Geno is not fully recovered from the shoulder issue from that dick Phanouf. Hence it has affected his shot, his confidence to shoot, and with his mentality, created frustration and disinterest.

Last night on NBCSN Pierre was talking about how Selanne in 2003-2004 scored under 20 goals and was a healthy scratch. His knee was bad, and the lockout saved his career because he was able to get a full rehab.

Part of me wonders if this is similar to Geno today.

2) He's just in a funk, no physical issues, and with Geno he sulks, he'll snap out.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
I was just looking at the stats and noticed.
While his goal scoring is terrible, his assists are like second.

This makes me wonder if one or a combo of the following is happening:

1) Geno is not fully recovered from the shoulder issue from that dick Phanouf. Hence it has affected his shot, his confidence to shoot, and with his mentality, created frustration and disinterest.

Last night on NBCSN Pierre was talking about how Selanne in 2003-2004 scored under 20 goals and was a healthy scratch. His knee was bad, and the lockout saved his career because he was able to get a full rehab.

Part of me wonders if this is similar to Geno today.

2) He's just in a funk, no physical issues, and with Geno he sulks, he'll snap out.

Despite not having his Neal for most the start of the season, rotating wingers left and right and still be only 6 points behind the league top point getters... Which means, he is also making whatever line mates he has better... And he still hasn't had a break out performance!! I honestly would say watch out to the rest of the league...Gino is that type of player, who will coast in points be in the middle of the pack and Boom, he's leading the league... This is something... !

AssistantCaptain*

Yakupov takes the lead with 4 goals on the season :)
Yak for malkin? :sarcasm:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Despite not having his Neal for most the start of the season, rotating wingers left and right and still be only 6 points behind the league top point getters... Which means, he is also making whatever line mates he has better... And he still hasn't had a break out performance!! I honestly would say watch out to the rest of the league...Gino is that type of player, who will coast in points be in the middle of the pack and Boom, he's leading the league... This is something... !
I'd say so but something tells Geno may have a physical alignment, I'm guessing shoulder, from last season since he has little confidence in his shot.

I have been very impressed with Geno's 2 way play this year.
I haven't.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I find it funny. I'm not even arguing that Malkin has played well this season. BUT, here he is, 23 games into the season, and now tied for 6th in scoring.

Look at all the other guys in say the top dozen in scoring. Is there another player on that list that anyone would say isn't playing well?

Does this mean that if Malkin were playing well, then he'd be running away in the points race right now?

Perhaps it does.

darkbrew*

I find it funny. I'm not even arguing that Malkin has played well this season. BUT, here he is, 23 games into the season, and now tied for 6th in scoring.

Look at all the other guys in say the top dozen in scoring. Is there another player on that list that anyone would say isn't playing well?

Does this mean that if Malkin were playing well, then he'd be running away in the points race right now?

Perhaps it does.

Malkin really is the epitome of the Russian superstar. Lazy at times, poor defensively at times, dekes opposing teams like its a joke for him at times. He is a guy that just needs confidence, focus and linemates he can trust. He seems to have that now that Neal is stepping it up, and I would expect another big streak from Malkin now.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Malkin really is the epitome of the Russian superstar. Lazy at times, poor defensively at times, dekes opposing teams like its a joke for him at times. He is a guy that just needs confidence, focus and linemates he can trust. He seems to have that now that Neal is stepping it up, and I would expect another big streak from Malkin now.

Epitome of lazy analysis?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Perhaps it does.

Crosby, for about a 10-12 game stretch there. Because before that, he *was* running away with the scoring race. :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby, for about a 10-12 game stretch there. Because before that, he *was* running away with the scoring race. :D

Actually, I'd say a 5-6 game stretch where he wasn't playing well and wasn't scoring (in the others, he played well but didn't have the points to show for it), but your point is taken.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
+ Top 10 in points, even though he's only got 4 goals
+ Neal is back and obviously helps
+ Am I crazy or has his faceoff ability improved a great deal?

- Giving the puck up WAY too much and in his own zone

He's fine. Everyone relax

darkbrew*

He's fine outside of his shooting. What happened to his 50 goal potential? He is like a more explosive, worse defensive Henrik Sedin lately. I mean i love him but i want to see 40 goals again!

zantiubraun

Jul 2, 2013
While it would be nice to see him score more I have no complaints if him not scoring makes him lead the league in assists :handclap:
yup tied with jumbo joe at 22 :sarcasm:

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Does anyone think Geno can potentially challenge for the Art Ross?
Especially if he starts shooting again, while still setting up Neal for tap ins

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
If Malkin can get Neal to Score 40 again, and if Malkin can make JJ into a 30 goal scorer again, and lead the NHL in point, he will wil MVP over Crosby

Tumty

Aug 18, 2012
Finland
If Malkin can get Neal to Score 40 again, and if Malkin can make JJ into a 30 goal scorer again, and lead the NHL in point, he will wil MVP over Crosby

What about if crosby can make kunitz and duper 30 goals scorers? What about if crosby can produce with those two. If crosby someday gets his Neal, i promise that would be amazing.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Crosby has been had his Neal.. Which is Kunitz... Crosby has had is regular linemate all year and all last year.. ***Just saying here*** Malkin turned Neal into what he is as a goal scorer....

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Four-straight multiple-point games last week earned Evgeni Malkin the NHL's 'First Star' award.

Malkin, who led all NHL players last week in both assists (7) and points (8), helped the Penguins win three of their four games to move back into first place in the Metropolitan Division. penguins.nhl.com

Not too shabby, eh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad