Can we talk about Geno?

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
Let me preface this by saying Malkin is by far my favorite penguin. I love everything about him. His play is mesmerizing and he scores while looking good doing it. He's a humble great guy who could care less about the spotlight and his passion for the game is all over his face anytime he scores.

That being said WTF is his deal. He hasn't had a good game all year. He's sub ppg and I known its a small sample size but come on do you really expect a 100pt season out of him from what you've seen so far? I have never seen such consistency issues from season to season. Last year at least he was injured. I don't know how you go from that dominant beast who scores 112pts in 77 games to what we are currently seeing.

Maybe it's the line mates but I don't quite buy that. He's scored a lot with worse before.

Is he past his prime? Whats the deal. It kills me to see him so mediocre.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
There is more to hockey than points. He is playing with scrubs, and getting some bad bounces. Once he gets Neal back and a few bounces start to go his way, the Malkin we know and love will return.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
Let me preface this by saying Malkin is by far my favorite penguin. I love everything about him. His play is mesmerizing and he scores while looking good doing it. He's a humble great guy who could care less about the spotlight and his passion for the game is all over his face anytime he scores.

That being said WTF is his deal. He hasn't had a good game all year. He's sub ppg and I known its a small sample size but come on do you really expect a 100pt season out of him from what you've seen so far? I have never seen such consistency issues from season to season. Last year at least he was injured. I don't know how you go from that dominant beast who scores 112pts in 77 games to what we are currently seeing.

Maybe it's the line mates but I don't quite buy that. He's scored a lot with worse before.

Is he last his prime? Whats the deal. It kills me to see him so mediocre.

You're killing me.

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
There is more to hockey than points. He is playing with scrubs, and getting some bad bounces. Once he gets Neal back and a few bounces start to go his way, the Malkin we know and love will return.

Agreed but malkins game IS about points. We don't have him out there for his great defensive capabilities

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to criticize someone's point totals when their right wing was a tryout just a few weeks ago and his left wing is having 1/3rd of his salary paid for by his former team just so we'd take him.

Geno's been better on face offs and a little better defensively so there is that. Wait until Neal's back before criticizing his point totals. Sid had plenty of bad stretches himself in the past.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I can feel Kirk's presence approaching this thread. He's coming and hell's coming with him.

KIRK is coming with fresh evidence that Malkin only cares about Cups, secretly hates Bylsma and the country club, and has shady Russian handlers encouraging him to pull a Kovalchuk because the borscht scene in Pittsburgh has declined recently.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
The guy is not playing with his linemates , he always have new linemates , Bylsma put him more than 2 times per game with the 4th line wingers ....

Saying that Malkin didnt have 1 good game is not true . I thought he was really good vs the Flyers .

You know what ? Malkin derserve top 3 wingers not a guy who received a tryout contract .. Come on . If he was with another team he would be on the 1st line with real wingers . People think hes like crosby but its not true . They think that if Crosby work well with ''Fake 1st liner (Dupuis&Kunitz) , malkin will be doing well with fake first liner too .
+ he improved his faceoffs . You will see when Neal come back , the Geno-Nealer Play on the faceoff will get us more than 5 goals this year , I promise .

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
The guy is not playing with his linemates , he always have new linemates , Bylsma put him more than 2 times per game with the 4th line wingers ....

Saying that Malkin didnt have 1 good game is not true . I thought he was really good vs the Flyers .

You know what ? Malkin derserve top 3 wingers not a guy know receive a tryout contract .. Come on .
+ he improved his faceoffs . You will see when Neal come back , the Geno-Nealer Play on the faceoff will get us more than 5 goals this year , I promise .

I definetly hope I'm wrong and the smokes the leafs. His consistency just always seems to be an issue

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I can feel Kirk's presence approaching this thread. He's coming and hell's coming with him.

I love KIRK. As soon as I saw this post, I ordered one Iced Capp for every KIRK post I expect to appear in this thread.

Needless to say, I've peed myself 15 times and I'll be awake for the next decade.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
9 points in 10 games would state that he's playing quite well considering his line mates

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
One thing i would do to maybe help Geno is try and put Letang out there as much as possible with Geno, Letang loves jumping up into the play, it would give Geno another option besides Juice.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
We have one (or more) of these posts about him pretty much every year. He's just a streaky player, and he has to click with his linemates (something that isn't happening for obvious reasons right now) in order to become truly dominant. I expect ten games from now that we'll be happy.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You claim he's your favorite player yet you know nothing about him and refuse to acknowledge his defensive play. Have you looked at his wingers?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Actually, now that I'm curious, does anyone want to do a breakdown of where those points come from and who was involved?

Good god man, that sounds like a lot of work.

1) Assist on a line with Adams and Glass
2) Assist on Jokinen goal
3) Goal, assisted by Bennett
4,5) 2 assists, both on power plays
6) 1 goal, power play
7, 8) assist on Jokinen goal, Empty Net goal on a line with Crosby and Adams
9) assist on a power play

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Actually, now that I'm curious, does anyone want to do a breakdown of where those points come from and who was involved?

1 2013-10-03 PIT NJD 3 11:42 EV Goal by Craig Adams, assisted by Evgeni Malkin and Tanner Glass
2 2013-10-08 PIT CAR 3 05:03 EV Goal by Jussi Jokinen, assisted by Evgeni Malkin and Olli Maatta
3 2013-10-11 PIT @ FLA 1 05:38 EV Goal by Evgeni Malkin, assisted by Beau Bennett
4 2013-10-12 PIT @ TBL 3 10:26 PP Goal by Sidney Crosby, assisted by Jussi Jokinen and Evgeni Malkin
5 2013-10-12 PIT @ TBL 3 19:41 PP Goal by Matt Niskanen, assisted by Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby
6 2013-10-15 PIT EDM 3 07:20 PP Goal by Evgeni Malkin, assisted by Paul Martin and Sidney Crosby
7 2013-10-17 PIT @ PHI 2 09:43 EV Goal by Jussi Jokinen, assisted by Evgeni Malkin
8 2013-10-17 PIT @ PHI 3 19:47 EV Goal by Evgeni Malkin, assisted by Craig Adams and Sidney Crosby
9 2013-10-19 PIT VAN 2 07:56 PP Goal by Chris Kunitz, assisted by Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/malkiev01/scoring/2014/ (very handy for secondary assist debunking, btw)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad