Can we talk about Geno?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He looked to have his attitude back last night. Very impressed he finally seems to have fixed his faceoffs. Crosby has the lowest percentage of our top 4 centres haha.

Crosby also goes up against the best in the league. Has taken three times as many as Geno. And twice as many as Sutter.

Geno's definitely improved at faceoffs. But the coaching staff trying to put him in good position to win draws and Jokinen able to come in allowing Geno to cheat are big reasons why.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
There is an underlining but constant campaign from PGH media to make Geno look as bas as possible, They haven't had a chance a whole a lot through his career but whenever he would go through minor slumps they would be all over it (remember the infamous "minus 4 game" after whicj he went on to tear the league. Yesterday I was listening Madden's interview with Bruins' play-by-play in which he wanted oh so badly to get out of the guy that Geno is not an elite NHLer, the guy was incrediuolus, like what do you mean, oh OK if you think so why don't you send him over to Boston,
In his case I see that he sees a constant threat that someone can like Geno as equal as Sid and that is unacceptable
This has been a ten game skid for him there is no question about it, don't get into why plenty of posters on this board already responded, don't care, he needs to hit 100 mark each season that is what you get when you carry this kind of talent. And he will.
The way he played last night, I am sorry that was just a well played game and it will get only better from now on.

That was difficult to read.

I don't think Geno has been 100% so far this season. He looked awesome last night though, which makes me think that he's over whatever injury he had.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosby also goes up against the best in the league. Has taken three times as many as Geno. And twice as many as Sutter.

Geno's definitely improved at faceoffs. But the coaching staff trying to put him in good position to win draws and Jokinen able to come in allowing Geno to cheat are big reasons why.

I want someone to create a faceoff quality of competition stat :laugh:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I want someone to create a faceoff quality of competition stat :laugh:

Honestly, I think there already is one somewhere. I know this because one of the Hockey Prospectus books had an article regarding this matter that basically factored in quality of face-off opponent, dealt primarily with even-strength play and listed like the top 100 face-off guys by traditional measures and then looked how they fared under the different metric.

NutCracker

Aug 9, 2008
Guys no worries, dark knight rises soon

1393569_10152309251668765_269954386_n.jpg

captain cubicle

Jul 27, 2011
Jesus... this again? Do we really need to explain why moving Neal off Geno's RW is a bad idea (for the 12000th time)? Juice is just fine on the LW / plays either wing equally well. Juice - Geno - Neal would be great. Not as ideal as Kunitz - Geno - Neal from a couple years ago, but still a very solid line. Anyway Bylsma is never breaking up KCD, so just get past that idea. The coach is married to it.

And to take that even further, anyone who uses "information" from that yammering spittle bag as a basis for their opinions about a specific player or the team, is someone who should be ignored, basically. You're not going to get any intelligent debate or conversation from Madden or his numbskull followers. The sports version of a political radio host with lots of dumb conspiracies that have no basis in reality, and all of the people who call in to further the hosts opinions, are about as far down the IQ food chain as you'll find. Something about radio that draws in the morons. Not sure what it is, but it's a well-known phenomenon. :laugh:

I love geno and madden is obviously a divisive guy but I kinda agree with his philosophy as far as players usually go. Like it or not madden shares hfs general opinion that disco doesn't rely on talent enough. Madden got a pissed last season when despres and Bennett were not getting enough time or eaton was going in over despres. He thinks disco relys to much on veterans and intangibles and he's right. Madden likes talent, results, and petegree for players. He's frequently proven wrong but his philosophy is at least consistent. Madden likes Sid cause Sid always produces. I don't think madden hates geno he just asks the uncomfortable question that half of us even his biggest fans are thinking.

Why does geno only produce at superstar pace 40% of the time?

I wish geno won every art Ross every year. I love him more than Sid but it's a fair question to ask. At a certain point line mates and injuries and everything else can't always be the excuse.

One last thing about madden that I'll say. At least the guy knows and understands hockey. It's number one to him and that is completely unique in this city. I could stumble over to the fan to listen vinny and cook yamer on about hockey like idiots until they fill their hockey quota so they can go back to discussing the pirates and steelers.

Last edited:

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
I haven't read through this thread much but I think it's possible that his shoulder injuries over the years have sort of sandbagged him. Seems like his shot isn't quite what it used to be.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
I don't know why this thread even gets made anymore. Yes, Geno isn't consistent. But when he's on, he's nigh on unstoppable. Guy put up 36 points for his Conn Smythe. That number is ridiculous in this era, and with his linemates. That alone forgives a lot of his downward swings. The only relevant question to me is whether he will produce against top teams come playoff time. Everything else is just idle chatter.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think a big issue with Geno's production has been the effect the shoulder injuries have had on his shot.

That, coupled with the fact that Letang couldn't get a pass into Geno's wheelhouse on the power play to save his life, and you've got a recipe for a drop off in goals.

But, I wouldn't worry about his overall production for now. Once Bennett and Neal come back, if Geno still continues to struggle, then I'll start to worry. Until then, he's treading water with lackluster guys like Kobasew.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Malkin has improved his defensive game this season, along with his faceoffs. He has played with some flat out terrible RWs on his line, along with Bennett who was not quite ready IMO.

That being said, he needs to step it up. His play has been thoroughly underwhelming given how much the organization is paying him, and how little he has contributed on the offensive side of the ice.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd actually prefer to stop talking about Geno. He's fine. He's not a problem. He's not even in a slump. If he's not going to be scoring goals, he needs his line mates to score.

He's been fine+ and his stats will be fine long term.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'd actually prefer to stop talking about Geno. He's fine. He's not a problem. He's not even in a slump. If he's not going to be scoring goals, he needs his line mates to score.

He's been fine+ and his stats will be fine long term.

Geno has no business being tied with Pascal Dupuis in points, and I think you would agree with me on that one coffee-lover!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Geno has no business being tied with Pascal Dupuis in points, and I think you would agree with me on that one coffee-lover!

Dupuis also has no business getting as much or more ice time as Geno, yet here we are (not using that as an excuse for Geno, just an observation).

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

for sure, but look at it this way: he's playing with people who don't necessarily fit his game (though maybe that's different now with Megna), he's shooting 7.1%, which is 5% below his career average, and the power play has been horrible the past week+.

If we're just judging him based on points, to be near a ppg player now seems to bode well for the future, if we ever get healthy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
for sure, but look at it this way: he's playing with people who don't necessarily fit his game (though maybe that's different now with Megna), he's shooting 7.1%, which is 5% below his career average, and the power play has been horrible the past week+.

If we're just judging him based on points, to be near a ppg player now seems to bode well for the future, if we ever get healthy.

Agreed. The only concern I have is his shot. It doesn't seem to have the power or accuracy it used to. That may be something I made up after reading all these Geno fears on HFBoards though.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
My concern is we need BOTH Sid and Geno to dominate. That's what the mandate is because they're not getting any major help anytime soon. The regime wants them to do the scoring. It's not necessarily fair, but it is what it is.

In our attempt to protect our fragile puck-stopper, the whole focus of this team is now in our own end. And yet, we signed Malkin and Letang for a boat-load of money expecting both of them to produce a whole whack of points. Something's amiss here.

If Fleury was to be the focus going forward, we could have saved $9 million on Malkin and find someone better on face-offs and in his own end.

If Malkin doesn't produce 90 points this season, we fail as an organization.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Pretty weak start to the season for Geno.
Averaging less than a PPG, just three goals, and his typical defensive/turnover gaffes.

Occassionaly like against the Rangers he shows some flashes but is easily cornered by the defense.

What gives?
Is this just a "slump" over not having his BFF Neal?
Is his shoulder still injured from last season?
Is he pouting Jagr/Ovi style and will get out of it?

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Pretty weak start to the season for Geno.
Averaging less than a PPG, just three goals, and his typical defensive/turnover gaffes.

Occassionaly like against the Rangers he shows some flashes but is easily cornered by the defense.

What gives?
Is this just a "slump" over not having his BFF Neal?
Is his shoulder still injured from last season?
Is he pouting Jagr/Ovi style and will get out of it?

Or is it none of those and it's really annoying when you only pop up once a month to **** on a player.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Not focusing on his present stats....
To start, I don't think Malkin is the problem.

I think DB and Shero are the biggest factors in his lack of growth. It's also possibly he has reach his peak (aka 1.2pts/game) but I don't believe so.

I have read time and time again about Geno flourishing under MT, and growing. With DB he keeps swinging between 2 performance/production levels (0.8pts/game and 1.2pts/game), and hasn't really grown in the past few years. Yes, injuries could be a factor. Yes, no proper PP setup guy could be as well (our 7.5M guy that can't setup a shot).

All the points I read "aka Dupuis more ice time", and "crappy linemates" all point to a coaching problem, and a GM problem.

DB seems to push Shero towards the grinders which does not suit Geno's game at all.
DB doesn't give young talent a chance, favoring older role players/grinders in place.
Shero keeps drafting defensemen instead of forwards (Forsberg comes to mind).

I don't want nor expect to see Geno traded.
I don't expect Geno to ever push against DB.

So I expect this thread will never end :).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Malkin and Jokinen are a combined minus-NINE so far this season, and yet we're supposed to believe that the second line has been working well so far this season. Neal was already a minus-1 on Saturday.

And yet, we're just going to continue to use the same lines in the top six because of seniority. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad