Can we discuss about the elephant in the room ? (Carey Price's play)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Julien said they've barely practiced the penalty kill. They haven't had time and some of the guys that were there won't be in the regular season. How about waiting for some structure in front of him before worrying about his play?

LOL he's wiped last season completely from his mind. It needs to be a high priority fixture from now on in. I know we weren't close to making the post season but didn't he watch any playoff games? :huh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can we stop looking at the amount of shots on goals and look at the quality of the shots and scoring chances. Telle me a goalie who would have stoped matthews, and Marleau 's goals.. even the Kapanen goal was bar down on a 2 on 1. Kadri left all alkne in the slot for the first goal. Andersen got beat by a clean slapper from the blue ljne with no front net presence.. price is the last of my concern.
The d is horrible and the fwd group isbellow average
Amen

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I will reserve judgement until a proper sample size has been complied before I give a verdict on his play.
Probably 10 games played would suffice to make an initial assessment.

Was he poor last season? you bet.... so was 90% of the team.
Pretty sure if you tallied up all the goals that went in off Benn, Weber LOLZner et al. you'd get a point total equal to a stud 3rd line winger.

Are his best years behind him? Likely , doesn't mean he can't have a respectable 920.

Is he over paid ? Of course... but Marc basically attached his career to Carey and allowed Price to demand whatever he wanted knowing Marc would pay to save his own @$$

I hope that Price plays well, but I won't be too upset if he sucks ass again. The best result would be good exciting hockey with a regulation loss.

Remember folks, we are in it for the long haul ! Say it with me now... "DRAFT PICKS, REBUILD"
We need to TANK . Last thing we need is to play semi decent and end up in 19th or something.

Lose for Hughes etc! :thumbu::thumbu:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The difference is that teammates have a much smaller impact on a forwards points then on a goalies SV%.

If goalie A faces 10 shots coming from two on ones and 20 shots from the outside and let's in 3 goals and goalie B faces 4 shots coming from two on ones and 26 shots from the outside and let's in 2 goals. Which was the better goalie,
Goalie A with a 3.00 GAA and a .900 SV%
or
Goalie B with a 2.00 GAA and a .928 SV%

One looks like barely an NHL level goalie by the stats, the other looks like an allstar, but what really happened was one played well but was left out to dry by terrible defence, and the other was average but played in front of good defence.

I agree with what you are saying, but at the end of the day we average it out over a season and each goalie in the league has to deal with teammates etc...

I don't care about Price stealing/winning games, but I am not going to excuse .900 or less on his teammates. He has the salary, he has the rep, so its up to him to at least .915-.920. F'n Nieme had a .929 last year, still had a losing record, but at least he stopped the puck.

He isn't the only way to take blame, but for me if he is giving .900 or less then he is part of the problem along with the rest of the team.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Are people whining about that Matthews goal? I swear ill calculate the velocity of that Marner pass because ive never seen a pass so hard before and a reception so clean, it was a perfect set up and Price cannot travel faster than a puck, its physics.

Matthews's release is ****ing insane. Even Ovechkin's release can be telegraphed. It'll probably still be a decade or more before such a release represents the norm among elite shooters.

Reactions: Mrb1p

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The other problem is if Price isn't good this year we are going to waste 2 years on him while we probably lose Lindgren/McNiven and then have no goalie.

Hopefully the team lucks out and Seatlle take him or we get a free buy out at the next CBA, but by then we won't have any goalies because we will have spent 2 or 3 seasons trying to get Price back on track instead of letting our other goalies steal his job and prove we can move on from Price.

Its pre season, but last nights game was essentially an NHL game, and we are seeing the same thing we saw last season. Price looking a step behind, not sure where the puck is sometimes, leaving the net wide open sometimes, bad puck handling (both Marner plays).

Anyways he will probably suffer another injury at some point to put us out of our misery this season so at least there is that.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Are you implying players will have better releases over time?

In conjunction with the ever-evolving stick technology that allows for better puck corralling as well as a quicker release. If I had a boy he'd be in the garage right now watching video of Matthews and snapping quick strong side wristers till his wrists and forearms bleed, whether he had sufficient genetics or not :sarcasm:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I heard the Elephant in the room expression way too much in the last month

aa6413b0573ed31e68789a7223d2388a--religious-jokes-the-elephants.jpg

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
The way i see it, with how big players are, the Goalie see about 65% of shots, and from the % they see, shooters are so good nowadays alot are just unstoppable, so thats why you have about 15 goalies of the same caliber,just dont pay 10,5M for that guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
In conjunction with the ever-evolving stick technology that allows for better puck corralling as well as a quicker release. If I had a boy he'd be in the garage right now watching video of Matthews and snapping quick strong side wristers till his wrists and forearms bleed, whether he had sufficient genetics or not :sarcasm:
Meh, unless the technology evolves really further(doubt it), its not likely that you see another wrister like Matthews, or a slapper like Weber or Ovi. Athletes are not getting better over time, and the technology doesnt move fast enough, or the advancement are not substantial enough for this to become the norm.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
We were not 500 with Weber last season, the team got worse over the summer, how can anybody think we will be anywhere near 500 this season? The only time we will be 500 is before we play our first game

playing for .500 is us winning ~5 more games over the course of the entire season, its not great. Look, its preseason, and you're telling me I can't aim for .500! :)

on paper it looks bad I agree with you, but I like the vibe so far. It feels like they intend to turn the page from last year... I expect our record after 10 games will be different. but hey, that's just me.

Slipknot

Lion King
Nov 15, 2017
I finally returned to this forum and was already expecting this thread.

Really people? Are you really complaining on a pre-season game lost? I thought it was to look at younger players and not about Carey Price trying to make a Stanley Cup OT save.
You guys have issues.

Ok, Price didn't stop a perfect one timer and Petry misplayed a puck both conducting to goals.

If I remember correctly, Lindgren got scored on by Ovechkin's one timer on game 1 but, no one complained.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don't fault him for last night, most of the goals I seen he really had no chance and I don't think any goalie would have had them, but having said, the way he looks in net is concerning to me, someone else said the same thing I said the last game I watched with him in net and that was that he looked small.

He's down all game long it seems, I don't know why he is doing it, but he doesn't seem to be the same goalie. Hopefully him and Waite trying a few things out and he returns to normal. I have my doubts. Carey is going to get crucified here the next few years if continues to stink the place out at 10.5million. Many fans won't give a shit that the team is front of him is a mess, they'll still want his head.

Reactions: bsl

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Really people? Are you really complaining on a pre-season game lost? I thought it was to look at younger players and not about Carey Price trying to make a Stanley Cup OT save.
You guys have issues.

Ok, Price didn't stop a perfect one timer and Petry misplayed a puck both conducting to goals.

If I remember correctly, Lindgren got scored on by Ovechkin's one timer on game 1 but, no one complained.
Personally, I would rather getting rid of Price, hopefully acquiring good assets in return and giving us the best chance at a top 3 pick the next 2 drafts. And we will also find out how the new goalie equipment changes affects him and the fact he's been injured and concussed multiple times already.

Reactions: bsl

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Everyone saying the team in front of him, I kinda agree since when I watch a game with Price in nets I feel the team has to play perfect mistake free hockey, with a couple of shots a period, that are essentially clear point shots.

Any break downs, traffic, side to side passes, and more than 20 shots in the game and I feel the team is toasted.

So in a way I agree that the team has to play perfect Defense and only allows a few easy shots per period for Price to put up decent numbers.

Should be good for the team, they will learn to never make any mistakes and the D will have to learn to keep the net clear and allow only shots from far out.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

You guys have issues.

This forum is so toxic lately.even when habs win people are furious.i really dont understand it.

Reactions: King Zlatan

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He was hardly the only one................it started at the top.
Price was great for 3 seasons. Best goalie in the league. Best player in the league in 015. However the team in front of him stunk. They were either going to get better and join him, or he was going to get worse and join them. Looks like the latter won out.

Carey peaked . He will never have another season like 015. But he could win a cup.......with a great team. He will never win anything in Montreal under MBs watch. But neither would Holtby, Murray, Crawford, Quick, or any other Stanley Cup winning goalie.

Blaming Price for Habs lowly standing is like blaming Coyotes goalie, Sens goalie, Sabres goalie or Canucks goalie for there recent sad sack seasons.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Just trade him and Weber right now before all the GMs in the league realize they both have negative value.

A GM's main job, as well as their support staff's jobs, is to continually watch and evaluate all players in the league. Do you think that there are any GMs out there who don't already realize this?

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->