Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't, even if we only see the 1 Cup, it's still a Cup and those things are pretty hard to win. I'm fortunate to see them win it, some teams haven't won at all or have longer droughts.

Since the 2005 lockout, only the Penguins, Red Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks and Kings have been to the Stanley Cup Final twice. Fleury, Quick and Osgood were the only goalies to start in both Finals for their teams.

Red Wings: 1-1
Penguins: 1-1
Bruins:1-1
Blackhawks: 2-0
Kings: 2-0

Also, another stat since the 2005 lockout. Correct me if I'm wrong but only the Penguins and Blackhawks have reached the conference finals 3 times.

Then I look at the fact that the "Penguins era" isn't even over yet, and Fleury has greatly improved his game, it's not out of the question that the Penguins can get back to the Cup final in the future. I think we would have had a good chance this year if Maatta, Letang and Ehrhoff played.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
All the Penguins had to do, was acquire a reliable goalie. MA Fleury has been horrible since they won the Cup in 2009. He wasn't even that great for their Stanley Cup year. I guarantee if Pittsburgh got rid of Fleury, and replaced him with a good netminder, the Penguins would have 2 or possibly 3 Stanley Cups in the last 6 years.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
All the Penguins had to do, was acquire a reliable goalie. MA Fleury has been horrible since they won the Cup in 2009. He wasn't even that great for their Stanley Cup year. I guarantee if Pittsburgh got rid of Fleury, and replaced him with a good netminder, the Penguins would have 2 or possibly 3 Stanley Cups in the last 6 years.

In the past, sure.....but Fluery wasn't the issue this postseason.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Then I look at the fact that the "Penguins era" isn't even over yet, and Fleury has greatly improved his game, it's not out of the question that the Penguins can get back to the Cup final in the future. I think we would have had a good chance this year if Maatta, Letang and Ehrhoff played.

Some people are way too quick to forget this.

Take any other team's top 3 defenseman out of their lineup and lets see how they perform.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
I wouldn't, even if we only see the 1 Cup, it's still a Cup and those things are pretty hard to win. I'm fortunate to see them win it, some teams haven't won at all or have longer droughts.

Since the 2005 lockout, only the Penguins, Red Wings, Bruins, Blackhawks and Kings have been to the Stanley Cup Final twice. Fleury, Quick and Osgood were the only goalies to start in both Finals for their teams.

Also, another stat since the 2005 lockout. Correct me if I'm wrong but only the Penguins and Blackhawks have reached the conference finals 3 times.

You're wrong, Kings made 3 in a row before this year. The Hawks have made 4.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Take any other team's top 3 defenseman out of their lineup and lets see how they perform.

I think people should look at that, I mean we still had Martin so take the two best and 4th best defenseman out of any team's lineup, I bet that team is screwed.

You're wrong, Kings made 3 in a row before this year. The Hawks have made 4.

I knew I wasn't 100% certain on it. For visual evidence

2006 Conference Finals: CAR/BUF ANA/EDM
2007 Conference Finals: BUF/OTT DET/ANA
2008 Conference Finals: PIT/PHI DET/DAL
2009 Conference Finals: PIT/CAR DET/CHI
2010 Conference Finals: PHI/MTL SJS/CHI
2011 Conference Finals: BOS/TBL SJS/VAN
2012 Conference Finals: NYR/NJD PHX/LAK
2013 Conference Finals: PIT/BOS CHI/LAK
2014 Conference Finals: NYR/MTL CHI/LAK

So since 2005...

Blackhawks - 4
Kings - 3
Penguins - 3
Red Wings - 3
Canadiens - 2
Rangers - 2
Bruins - 2
Sharks - 2
Flyers - 2
Ducks - 2
Hurricanes - 2
Sabres - 2
Coyotes - 1
Canucks - 1
Lightning - 1
Stars - 1
Oilers - 1

I still wouldn't call the Penguins era a disappointment, even with the correction. Like I mentioned earlier, there is still plenty of time left in this era.

Nomahe

Apr 25, 2015

That's like saying if the Av's weren't so great in the 90's the Wings would have 6-7 Cups instead of 4.

Same with the Av's if they didn't have to deal with the Wings.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
They are always missing players, that is no longer a valid excuse. That is on management for not building a more durable team.

They're not always missing players, we were 5th in man games lost this year, last year and the year before we were relatively healthy in the playoffs. Ray Shero gave Bylsma the best depth in 2013 and he failed to do anything with it, followed by mediocre depth in 2014. Led to both of their dismissals from the Penguins.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
As a fan, yea I'd say the last few years have been disappointing. Bust? No. I've seen 3 Cups, one in the last few years here, which is more than most people see in a lifetime.

But yes, it's been disappointing. I won't throw out injuries as an excuse, but it's certainly been frustrating to lose without a full lineup.

That's how I feel too. Honestly, I would have thought they would have gotten one more at least since their last Cup victory.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Arguably the 2 best players in the game and only one SC. For me that would be fail.

I bet you also thing that the Price/Subban era of the Habs only winning 1 Cup would be a fail? Arguably the best G and D in the league.

Hell, if they never win one Cup, talk about a bust!

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
for having 2 generational players and only winning it all once... ya its disappointing.

The Penguins/Crosby are like Peyton Manning and Colts/Broncos... great player, amazing during the regular season... got it done once, but other than that fell short most playoffs.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Disappointing for the fans that thought they would be a dynasty maybe. As a fan of a team that has never won Id say the Pens were successful. Back to back finals appearances is pretty impressive. As mentioned all their money is tied up in 4 players. At that point you have to hit on some amazing draft picks on ELCs in order to win.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Pittsburgh needs to retool on the fly here, but let's not get carried away. It's ridiculously hard to win a Stanley Cup and the Pens have still been in the mix a lot more than not

08: Lost in the Cup Finals (6 games)
09: Won in the Cup Finals (7 games)
10: Lost in the Semis
11: Lost in the Quarters (no Malkin or Crosby)
12: Lost in the Quarters
13: Lost in the Conference Finals
14: Lost in the Semis
15: Lost in the Quarters (no Letang, Maatta, Ehrhoff or Pouliot)

Typically in any year that Pens were reasonably healthy coming into the playoffs, they went 2nd round or deeper, with 2 cup appearances and 1 win.

That's actually not a bad track record whatsoever.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
I bet you also thing that the Price/Subban era of the Habs only winning 1 Cup would be a fail? Arguably the best G and D in the league.

Hell, if they never win one Cup, talk about a bust!

Neither of those players are generational. Comparing Subban to Crosby? Really?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Pittsburgh needs to retool on the fly here, but let's not get carried away. It's ridiculously hard to win a Stanley Cup and the Pens have still been in the mix a lot more than not

08: Lost in the Cup Finals (6 games)
09: Won in the Cup Finals (7 games)
10: Lost in the Semis
11: Lost in the Quarters (no Malkin or Crosby)
12: Lost in the Quarters
13: Lost in the Conference Finals
14: Lost in the Semis
15: Lost in the Quarters (no Letang, Maatta, Ehrhoff or Pouliot)

Typically in any year that Pens were reasonably healthy coming into the playoffs, they went 2nd round or deeper, with 2 cup appearances and 1 win.

That's actually not a bad track record whatsoever.

They have only made it past the 2nd round once since their cup win, and in that series they scored 2 goals, and never once had a lead in any games

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Great post. And I agree with the bolded part. If it weren't for the D injuries, I think they would have been a legit cup contender. No shame in a 1st round exit (to the vegas-odds cup-favourite) with those three guys out of it.

Take the top 3 defencemen off any roster, and what does it look like? Chicago without Kieth, Seabrook, and Hjalmarson? Garbage. Nashville without Weber, Josi and Jones? Even they wouldn't survive. Anaheim without Lindholm, Vatanen and Beauch? You had better hope that Fowler and Wiz can play 30+ minutes!

The pens are fine. They need some depth, sure. They rely on Croby/Malkin to carry the entire forward group, so if they don't have it for a couple of games the team is sunk. But it's not like a great team can't be built around them. They have a combined 18.2 Million cap hit, and Chicago is about to be paying 21 for Toews and Kane. I expect both teams can continue to field competitive teams around those numbers.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

BS, that is nothing but PURE BULL!!! This Penguins team BARELY EVEN MADE THE PLAYOFFS, which led to them having to play a top seed right away and not getting home ice! You can't blame that all on injuries - other teams have been able to win games without key players, both this year and in the past.

With the superstars Pittsburgh has they should be a SHOO IN for the playoffs every year even with 3-4 key players injured. Injuries are part of the game, the Pens have had more than their share, but it's not like the competition is 100% healthy.

Back when they were good they had 3rd liners like Talbot, Staal, Cooke, Fedotenko, Dupuis (younger), Kennedy. All good two way players who provided tons of depth and could both play D and create on offense.

This year, WHERE IS THE DEPTH? Hornqvist was it in the top six, not counting geriatric Kunitz or Comeau or Perron who were good at getting carried by Crosby/Malkin but are otherwise very mediocre. Then lower down all you have are guys like Sutter, who can't make a pass to save his life, and Winnik who is great at defense and possession but devoid of offensive talent being forced to play a lot in the top 6 because of how crap they were. And don't get me started on the D, they basically had 4 competent NHL D and a bunch of ECHL scrubs. You have to expect injuries and at least have a few D in the system capable of filling in.

Just a HORRIBLY mismanaged team. Can't believe they wasted another first round pick on mediocre talent when what they desperately needed is highly skilled, speedy, HUNGRY youth up front on ELCs to complement their middle-aged superstars.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I think we would have had a good chance this year if Maatta, Letang and Ehrhoff played.

why are people still using this injured D excuse?

I love how Maatta is all of a sudden this vital cog when he only played 20 games this year and didn't contribute much even when he was healthy. he's a kid. he's not a game changer. not yet anyway. maybe someday, but not now.

Ehrhoff has been a bust in Pittsburgh. he hasn't lived up to expectations. he just isn't that good anymore. like Edler his former D partner. he sucks now.

and Letang? have people forgotten that the Pens were really struggling before he even got hurt? in their last 10 games before his injury they scored 19 goals. 6 of those in a game against the Oilers. so basically 12 goals in 9 other games before he got hurt. scoring 2 or less in 7 of them. stop blaming injuries. they were struggling even with those players in the lineup.

sidthekidmvp

Apr 30, 2015
Pens will win again

Crosby is my favorite player and my personal greatest of all-time along with Gretzky, Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe and many others, but what they need on this team is pure snipers on Crosby and Malkin's lines then they would be great, and it would take a ton of stress off of both of them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad