Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think the Penguins prove that you can't build around a generational offensive talents and win cups in today's NHL. You need to build around defense and goaltending.

Look at the last Cup Champions and their team compositions. Great defense and goaltending is the main trend. This is why the Oilers with McDavid still won't be able to do anything with their garbage defense and goaltending

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think the Penguins prove that you can't build around a generational offensive talents and win cups in today's NHL. You need to build around defense and goaltending.

Look at the last Cup Champions and their team compositions. Great defense and goaltending is the main trend. This is why the Oilers with McDavid still won't be able to do anything with their garbage defense and goaltending

The Penguins had 2 generational talents, but they hardly built around them by giving them talented wings. They invested a ton of money in goaltending and defense, but those often faltered regardless.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
That's a lot of work for a GM who has huge blunders in his resume and an unproven coach. A lot of stars have to align for the Pens if they want to have success in the future. Just remember that Crosby and Malkin are not getting any younger, the window of opportunity is closing a little bit every year as they age.

For sure, it's a lot of work for any GM, the job isn't easy. Shero was considered one of the best and made a ton of mistakes, which eventually costed him his job. Crosby and Malkin will only get older, you're right. However, They will be 28 and 29 to start next season, it's not like they'll be 35 and 36, they will be in a few years, but not now. The window gets closer to closing each year for every team, it did for Detroit, it's closing for the Sedins, Toews and Kane, Getzlaf and Perry, etc.

You mention the Pens youth but with the exception of Maatta and Pouliot, they are a long way from becoming impact players in the NHL. Right now, the lack of depth is what hurts the Pens most. If Crosby and Malkin are not stepping up, no one is.

The Pens still have plenty of youth and quality in the pipeline, we don't have to have impact players who are considered tops in their position, but just players who are good enough to contribute consistently. Guys like Harrington and Dumoulin are solid young defensemen, the Pens believe both will be good for them very soon.

I also think Kasperi Kapanen will surprise people, I think he can become an impact player in the NHL, very fast with an accurate shot, he's been compared to Patrick Sharp, I mean he is very fast, Sid and Malkin will enjoy playing with him.

The goaltending is not very reliable either. Fleury played well this year, but he can **** the bed real quick for his team.

I think a goalie is fine as long as he has the right goalie coach, there's something to be said about a goalie/goalie coach duo. Dubnyk didn't just become a Vezina candidate overnight, he learned from a great goalie coach in Sean Burke in Arizona. Holtby has the great Mitch Korn as his goalie coach, for year our goalie coach was Gilles Meloche, when he stepped down, we promoted a guy named Mike Bales, who is also a very good goalie coach. Ever since that happened, Fleury has been a very reliable goalie.

The injuries are not just a result of bad luck. The team is built with injury prone players. Letang and Malkin have yearly subscriptions to the infirmary. Management should look in free agency for players with very little injury history.

Agree and disagree, but you can't really prevent concussions. So you can put anyone in Letang's (this year) or Crosby's (2011 Winter Classic) position and they are out with a concussion, guaranteed. The Letang injury was bad luck because as Doan hit him, his skate caught the ice weird which caused him to violently fall back head first into the boards. I agree about Malkin, there's always something wrong with that guy, whether it's his ankle, shoulder, whatever. When we played Boston back in March, Malkin to such an innocent shove and he was down on all fours, like wtf?

I do think the Pens will be better off in terms of injuries, there is a new performance center opening up in the fall, and I'm sure a new training regimen being overseen by Gary Roberts will do wonders for this team.

There is a thread on the main boards discussing how bad the Pens are at drafting. In the past 10 years, only Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Muzzin (gone), Staal (also gone) and Sutter were drafted directly by the Pens. They need better scouts to find the talent outside of the 1st round. It doesn't help that JR traded a 1st round pick for Perron.

The Penguins drafting has been very bad, no denying it, the guy in charge of those drafts just lost his job last year. Shero was not a very good drafter despite being on a Nashville staff that found gems in the draft. However, I really do think Shero's latest drafts have shown improvement and will be good. I really like his 2012 picks, Pouliot, Maatta, Murray and Sundqvist being the most notable names, others are Blueger, Marcantuoni, and Zlobin. In 2013, he took Tristan Jarry and Jake Guentzel in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

There are more players than the ones you listed that are NHL players, and also you should consider who they were turned into. Sutter wasn't picked by the Pens but he was a product of the Staal trade. Staal turns into Sutter, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Goligoski turns into Neal and Niskanen which turned into Hornqvist and Spaling, Bortuzzo (2007 3rd) turned into Ian Cole (2007 1st).

Other names drafted by the Pens are Simon Despres, Chad Johnson, Brian Strait, Joe Vitale, Mark Letestu (UDFA), Ben Lovejoy (UDFA). Still not that many, but they can find NHL players.

We lack depth in the NHL, but not in terms of prospects. Like I mentioned earlier, I think trading our 1st for Perron was really smart considering we have a few prospects/young NHL players at each position. Bennett + Kapanen + Sundqvist at forward. Maatta + Pouliot + Harrington + Dumoulin on defense. Murray + Jarry in goal. What we didn't have was an NHL top 6 winger, and I think trading our 1st for a guy who is 26, signed to another year and is a NHL proven top 6 winger is a good move, especially since we've had 6 1st round picks in the past 7 drafts. If you look at other teams and who they traded their 1st for, how is the Perron move bad? I think the Pens got more value out of the pick than trading for Vermette, Sekera, Santorelli/Franson,. Also it's not like when we traded our 1st for a UFA 35 year old Iginla, Perron is young, proven, and can be a staple in our top 6 for years to come.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
That is a false distinction.

1. Playoffs seem to be the measuring stick here considering you mention Winnik and Lapierre in JR's group, but Kobasew and D'Agostini didn't play a single playoff game for the Pens. Kobasew was a tryout who flamed out and eventually waived, and D'Agostini was an injury replacement acquisition a la Arcobello and Klinkhammer, who you conveniently omitted from JR's resume. Sub in Goc and Bennett for D'Ags and Kobasew.

2. Nobody thinks the first group is better, but Shero had 5 mil less to work with because of the cap rollback. That is the difference in quality depth.

Truthfully part of it was me forgetting who was in our bottom 6 for the playoffs in 2014 :laugh:, I know Shero went into the season with those guys. I just couldn't remember who it was come playoff time.

I didn't conveniently leave out JR's acquisitions, I just forgot about them and didn't even think to include them.

Fair point about the cap space, I didn't think about this.

Clearly I'm not much of a thinker :laugh: now I feel stupid.

Bennett still remained in our bottom 6, and I think Lapierre was better than Goc so I still like Rutherford's moves better but it's closer than I once thought considering what you mentioned.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Please tell me exactly what Shero did to "build around generational offensive talents".

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For sure, it's a lot of work for any GM, the job isn't easy. Shero was considered one of the best and made a ton of mistakes, which eventually costed him his job. Crosby and Malkin will only get older, you're right. However, They will be 28 and 29 to start next season, it's not like they'll be 35 and 36, they will be in a few years, but not now. The window gets closer to closing each year for every team, it did for Detroit, it's closing for the Sedins, Toews and Kane, Getzlaf and Perry, etc.

The Pens still have plenty of youth and quality in the pipeline, we don't have to have impact players who are considered tops in their position, but just players who are good enough to contribute consistently. Guys like Harrington and Dumoulin are solid young defensemen, the Pens believe both will be good for them very soon.

I also think Kasperi Kapanen will surprise people, I think he can become an impact player in the NHL, very fast with an accurate shot, he's been compared to Patrick Sharp, I mean he is very fast, Sid and Malkin will enjoy playing with him.

I think a goalie is fine as long as he has the right goalie coach, there's something to be said about a goalie/goalie coach duo. Dubnyk didn't just become a Vezina candidate overnight, he learned from a great goalie coach in Sean Burke in Arizona. Holtby has the great Mitch Korn as his goalie coach, for year our goalie coach was Gilles Meloche, when he stepped down, we promoted a guy named Mike Bales, who is also a very good goalie coach. Ever since that happened, Fleury has been a very reliable goalie.

Agree and disagree, but you can't really prevent concussions. So you can put anyone in Letang's (this year) or Crosby's (2011 Winter Classic) position and they are out with a concussion, guaranteed. The Letang injury was bad luck because as Doan hit him, his skate caught the ice weird which caused him to violently fall back head first into the boards. I agree about Malkin, there's always something wrong with that guy, whether it's his ankle, shoulder, whatever. When we played Boston back in March, Malkin to such an innocent shove and he was down on all fours, like wtf?

I do think the Pens will be better off in terms of injuries, there is a new performance center opening up in the fall, and I'm sure a new training regimen being overseen by Gary Roberts will do wonders for this team.

The Penguins drafting has been very bad, no denying it, the guy in charge of those drafts just lost his job last year. Shero was not a very good drafter despite being on a Nashville staff that found gems in the draft. However, I really do think Shero's latest drafts have shown improvement and will be good. I really like his 2012 picks, Pouliot, Maatta, Murray and Sundqvist being the most notable names, others are Blueger, Marcantuoni, and Zlobin. In 2013, he took Tristan Jarry and Jake Guentzel in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

There are more players than the ones you listed that are NHL players, and also you should consider who they were turned into. Sutter wasn't picked by the Pens but he was a product of the Staal trade. Staal turns into Sutter, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Goligoski turns into Neal and Niskanen which turned into Hornqvist and Spaling, Bortuzzo (2007 3rd) turned into Ian Cole (2007 1st).

Other names drafted by the Pens are Simon Despres, Chad Johnson, Brian Strait, Joe Vitale, Mark Letestu (UDFA), Ben Lovejoy (UDFA). Still not that many, but they can find NHL players.

We lack depth in the NHL, but not in terms of prospects. Like I mentioned earlier, I think trading our 1st for Perron was really smart considering we have a few prospects/young NHL players at each position. Bennett + Kapanen + Sundqvist at forward. Maatta + Pouliot + Harrington + Dumoulin on defense. Murray + Jarry in goal. What we didn't have was an NHL top 6 winger, and I think trading our 1st for a guy who is 26, signed to another year and is a NHL proven top 6 winger is a good move, especially since we've had 6 1st round picks in the past 7 drafts. If you look at other teams and who they traded their 1st for, how is the Perron move bad? I think the Pens got more value out of the pick than trading for Vermette, Sekera, Santorelli/Franson,. Also it's not like when we traded our 1st for a UFA 35 year old Iginla, Perron is young, proven, and can be a staple in our top 6 for years to come.

Quoted for truth. You make fair points on each topic, putting your bias aside. I agree with everything you said.

How is the Pens depth in terms of goaltending ? Anyone ready to take over if Fleury comes up short again ?

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Quoted for truth. You make fair points on each topic, putting your bias aside. I agree with everything you said.

How is the Pens depth in terms of goaltending ? Anyone ready to take over if Fleury comes up short again ?

Thank you. :thumbu:

I think our depth was fine this year, but will take a hit next year with Greiss probably not being re-signed, he might be but nobody knows yet. This year we had Fleury/Greiss in the NHL, Zatkoff/Murray in the AHL, and Jarry in the CHL.

Zatkoff lost his job to Murray but not because he was bad, but because Murray was great, he was the best goalie in the AHL this year. So next year, Pens fans (at least me) expect Zatkoff to back up Fleury and our AHL goalies will be Murray and Jarry. If Fleury comes up short in 2015-16, I think the team will give him an opportunity to redeem himself in 2016-17. He does good with bouncing back but regardless, Murray would be around 23 and Jarry would be 22 at that time so they could be ready for the NHL by then.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thank you. :thumbu:

I think our depth was fine this year, but will take a hit next year with Greiss probably not being re-signed, he might be but nobody knows yet. This year we had Fleury/Greiss in the NHL, Zatkoff/Murray in the AHL, and Jarry in the CHL.

Zatkoff lost his job to Murray but not because he was bad, but because Murray was great, he was the best goalie in the AHL this year. So next year, Pens fans (at least me) expect Zatkoff to back up Fleury and our AHL goalies will be Murray and Jarry. If Fleury comes up short in 2015-16, I think the team will give him an opportunity to redeem himself in 2016-17. He does good with bouncing back but regardless, Murray would be around 23 and Jarry would be 22 at that time so they could be ready for the NHL by then.

Not bad. Goalie coaches do wonders. Mitch Korn saved Holtby's career after Oates nearly ruined it and made him a top 15 goalie in the world.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How about OV, Backstrom and Green? No disappointment there I guess.

I don't think we have disappointed anyone, no one expects us to win :laugh:
Our best shot at the Cup were 2009, 2010 and this year.

In 2009, we ran into the Cup winners in round 2.
In 2010, we ran into Dominik Hasek disguised as Jaroslav Halak.
This year, we'll see how it turns out :D

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Not bad. Goalie coaches do wonders. Mitch Korn saved Holtby's career after Oates nearly ruined it and made him a top 15 goalie in the world.

This is basically what Bales has done with Fleury. His numbers the last two seasons, especially this past one, have been fantastic.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

I agree 100%, all a goalie might need is a little bit of coaching. I'm sure not many outsiders from the Caps (including me) really knew what Holtby's potential was, with Trotz and Korn, Pens fans saw that he's a guy who shut us out in 3 of our 4 meetings, he's solid.

It's also in the numbers, from 2010 to 2013, Fleury's SV% in the playoffs was under .900, very poor, so was his defense, but he deserved just as much of the blame, that Flyers series was the worst goalie performance that I have ever seen. His excuses ran out in 2013 when Vokoun came in and was a wall in goal for us that took us to the ECF after Fleury lost his job in the 1st round so you can't blame defense there, Fleury was what everyone called him, a sieve. I disagreed at the time, I defended his poor play, but it was what it was, it's easier to say now after the improvements to his game, and Pens fans really hope he stays consistent.

Now, when we promote Mike Bales, Fleury's numbers have improved, last year going to the 2nd round, he went 7-6 with a 2.40 GAA and a .915 SV%. This year in just 5 games, while going 1-4 he had a 2.12 GAA and a .927 SV%! That's pretty good for going 1-4, the Pens couldn't score for him! I know stats aren't everything but when you see SV%'s in the .880's to that, you can tell it's a major improvement.

Plus, Mitch Korn has very good things to say about Mike Bales

“(Being an NHL goalie coach) is much more than working with two guys an hour and a half a day.â€

That’s what Mitch Korn, who is in his 22nd season as an NHL goalie coach and one of the most respected and accomplished goalie coaches in the league, said in a phone interview on Monday. Korn, who is currently overseeing back-to-back Vezina Trophy finalist Pekka Rinne with the Nashville Predators, has been with the organization since the very beginning – when they took now-Penguins goalie Tomas Vokoun in the 1998 NHL Expansion Draft. Before that, Korn worked with two-time Hart Trophy winner and four-time Vezina Trophy winner Dominik Hasek and Hall of Famer Grant Fuhr during seven seasons in the Buffalo Sabres organization.

“As a goalie coach, (your responsibilities include) not only your NHL goalies, it is preparation on the goalies that you’re playing against,†Korn explained. “It is watching video on drafted players you may possess, American (Hockey) League guys that you guys own that are under contract. It’s being aware of your prospects, being aware of the prospective draftees – all those things are part of the job. And when you’re in your office or on your iPad or on your computer or on the network or doing all your work, most players will never see that.â€

Korn said that being a successful goalie coach in this league requires a high work ethic to handle all of that – along with high character and an unassuming personality. And Korn, who has known Bales since working with him as a player for the first time in 1997 and has been a both a mentor and a friend to him, says that Bales possesses all of those qualities – which is why he'll thrive in his new position.

“I think (being a high-character guy) is really important in any business, at any position,†Korn said. “But the reality is, especially in goal when you’re a specialty coach, the guys that you work with have absolutely have to believe in you. That they believe you have their best interests in mind. That you don’t have or display a selfishbone in your body. And Mike is exactly that way. High character, doesn’t have a selfish bone in his body, he’s a 100 percent team guy. So that’s really important.â€

Korn also said that Bales has the certain kind of personality that a goalie coach needs.

“He is extremely (unassuming),†Korn said. “He is not an emotional guy. He doesn’t have any panic in him. He is a voice of reason. I think especially as a goalie coach, when coaches around you tend to become very emotional – especially about a goal that went in and they may not think was a good goal – I think that being the voice of reason and being able to communicate in a manner that’s not threatening, that’s not emotional, that it’s logical and rational, is really a good trait. And he possesses all of that.â€

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=680494

So yeah, I'm very happy the Pens have a promising goalie coach, who also probably had a hand in drafting Murray and Jarry.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think we have disappointed anyone, no one expects us to win :laugh:
Our best shot at the Cup were 2009, 2010 and this year.

In 2009, we ran into the Cup winners in round 2.
In 2010, we ran into Dominik Hasek disguised as Jaroslav Halak.
This year, we'll see how it turns out :D

I agree, I don't think the Caps were disappointing but they were very dangerous teams and are one again, in 2009, the Pens could have easily lost that series, I think people forget that. Caps took the first two at home, we take the next two at home, one of them in OT, if the Caps win that game in OT, it's a different series. Game 7 was unbelievable but it's in the past, both fanbases can move on from that :laugh:

2010, we know how you felt :laugh: Halak was amazing in those playoffs.

This year, I'm rooting for the Caps to beat the Rangers, as a Pens fan I really don't dislike this Caps team, there's a lot to like. I always liked Trotz as a coach and thought he would come here if we fired Bylsma with the Shero connection in Nashville (when we did it was too late and Shero was fired first), knowing Korn followed him, having him would have been amazing for the Pens (but again I like Bales), Pens fans will (or should) always respect Brooks Orpik, that guy left it all out on the ice for the Pens. As much as he gets under our skin, I like how Tom Wilson plays the game, I wish the Pens had someone like him. I respect Ovechkin and while I hate the rivalry between him and Sid because I always have to go with Sid in those debates, Ovi is what everyone says he is, I don't want to call him the best player but I will say at this point, Sid's not better, I'll just say it's even :laugh: Holtby is an awesome goalie, I like Alzner and Carlson, didn't like Niskanen much when he was here but since he's been a Penguin for a few years, I'll still appreciate the guy and what he did here.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree, I don't think the Caps were disappointing but they were very dangerous teams and are one again, in 2009, the Pens could have easily lost that series, I think people forget that. Caps took the first two at home, we take the next two at home, one of them in OT, if the Caps win that game in OT, it's a different series. Game 7 was unbelievable but it's in the past, both fanbases can move on from that :laugh:

2010, we know how you felt :laugh: Halak was amazing in those playoffs.

This year, I'm rooting for the Caps to beat the Rangers, as a Pens fan I really don't dislike this Caps team, there's a lot to like. I always liked Trotz as a coach and thought he would come here if we fired Bylsma with the Shero connection in Nashville (when we did it was too late and Shero was fired first), knowing Korn followed him, having him would have been amazing for the Pens (but again I like Bales), Pens fans will (or should) always respect Brooks Orpik, that guy left it all out on the ice for the Pens. As much as he gets under our skin, I like how Tom Wilson plays the game, I wish the Pens had someone like him. I respect Ovechkin and while I hate the rivalry between him and Sid because I always have to go with Sid in those debates, Ovi is what everyone says he is, I don't want to call him the best player but I will say at this point, Sid's not better, I'll just say it's even :laugh: Holtby is an awesome goalie, I like Alzner and Carlson, didn't like Niskanen much when he was here but since he's been a Penguin for a few years, I'll still appreciate the guy and what he did here.

Thank you :)

I don't like the Pens as much as you like the Caps :laugh:
I like Crosby, Malkin, Maatta, Letang and I respect Fleury. For the rest, I'm either indifferent to them or I hate them. I hate Kunitz, Lapierre and Downie and Adams because he sucks.
Overall, I hate the Pens because of past events and the fact that they are a big Caps enemy. I'm still a bit bitter about the 2009 series :laugh:

It was tough for me to get used to seeing Orpik and Niskanen in red, but I finally appreciate them. They seem happy with their new teammates and they give an honest effort. They already won the Cup, but they try to get the Cup for their new friends.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Ahaha, as much as Caps appreciate him, Backstrom as a generational talent?!

That's taking it a step too far, but no doubt Backstrom is almost criminally underrated.

I liken what Shero did to a contractor replacing a guy who had built a solid foundation, then decided he was going to build from the roof down.

The man had eight drafts and managed to find all of one forward who's scored more than 20 NHL goals. That was Jordan Staal, and when you see who was picked after him, it becomes even more infuriating to think about.

And yes, the Penguins era - which isn't quite over yet - has been a huge disappointment. There's simply no debate to be had there. The only problem I have with that is that the blame often falls on 87 and 71 - the two guys that keep the Pens from being a lotto team every year - rather than the people in charge.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015

You really don't need great goaltending, plenty of so-so goalies have won Cups in the Cap era. And the big outlier, Jonathan Quick, is seen as great because of what he's done in the playoffs.

What's really key is viable NHL talent, as much as possible, on ELCs and RFA contracts.

Church of Toews*

Not true on the first part Id say good drafting in general is more important. Chicago and Detroit were known for their strong puck possession and their fines style offense. While they did draft a few solid D men in Seabrook Keith Hammer and Kronwall Lidstrom etc for Detroit both of these clubs were able to plug in basically any goalie in and go far its their depth on offense and their ability to lure great free agents like Rafalski Sharp and Hossa etc which made these teams more successful. The pens didn't draft allot of forwards under Shero and now its haunting their team now that Malkin has no one to play with

LaCarriere

I don't know if disappointment is the right word. Winning the cup isn't easy, and they've made the playoffs every year since 2006 with 2 trips to the cup, winning one, as well as a trip to the conference finals. I don't think it's a case of "dynasty or disappointment".

When Pittsburgh won Crosby anyone who thought the team was going to win 3+ cups in the next 7-8+ years or whatever doesn't understand hockey, or appreciate how hard winning the cup is. All I think it shows is that having the best player in the game doesn't instantly make your team a dynasty.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
In my opinion, the NHL is not the NFL or MLB and there really aren't any dynasties. The Kings and Blackhawks won 2 recently and that is it. Getting one Cup in the NHL is something a lot of star players don't have. If they don't get a second I will be dissapointed. If they get a second, I don't think there is any room to complain.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
They made the finals twice in a row, winning once, while being yearly contenders in the East.

That sounds like a successful team to me. There aren't dynasty teams anymore.

LaCarriere

In my opinion, the NHL is not the NFL or MLB and there really aren't any dynasties. The Kings and Blackhawks won 2 recently and that is it. Getting one Cup in the NHL is something a lot of star players don't have. If they don't get a second I will be dissapointed. If they get a second, I don't think there is any room to complain.

Exactly. Parity has started to rule the league. from 1995 to 2003 (9 years) there were 4 teams that won the cup (Devils x 3, Wings x 3, Avs x 2, Stars x 1), and those same 4 teams were going deep every year. Since then (10 seasons) only the blackhawks and kings have repeated as champs twice and nobody has won 3 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad