Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I'm neutral to the Penguins, but the core of Crosby-malkin has as many Cups as the core of Staal-Brind'Amour, and they don't appear close to winning again soon. I don't think Crosby lacks leadership, but something is clearly amiss.

Last edited:

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Yes, there's no dodging it now. 2009 was six years ago, it's becoming a one hit wonder.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Hard to win when 3 guys take up over 25mil in cap space. Prevents you from having enough depth to win it all.

Thats on management.

And 0 forwards on their ELC's contributing anything worthwhile

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
Yes, they got lucky the one year and then they were exposed. After Malkin and Crosby, not many guys stepped up. Fleury got worse and their defense was never great but not having 3 top guys this year hurts. But they need a lot of changes or need to stay healthy.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Still been in the league for 10 years. That's a lot of wear and tear on the body. Most have said the best way to beat the Penguins is to frustrate their stars like Flyers have been doing to get them off their game. Seems like the Rangers just played tough defense the entire series and shut them down. If anything it certainly shows you need a deep, skilled roster to go far.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They certainly aren't the dynasty people thought they would be when they reached the Finals in 2007 and won it in 2008, but I wouldn't call it a bust.

Hell, the stacked Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Stevens, etc. Pens team won two Cups in back to back years and that was it for them.

Like the above poster said, not easy to win a Cup, let alone two or more.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The 1 cup they won I don't know how they won it, Fleury's save percentage was horrible, I think the lowest of any cup winning goalie post 1992 and they won a 7th game on the road for the first time in forever. Remember, prior to that game the road team had not even scored the 1st goal in a game 7 since 1987. They're in trouble more because of that division, the Rangers and Isles are going nowhere, the Caps with smart management should stay good, the Jackets need no sayin' they're gonna be a beast and the Flyers/Devils are not far away either.

we like our team*

The 1 cup they won I don't know how they won it, Fleury's save percentage was horrible, I think the lowest of any cup winning goalie post 1992 and they won a 7th game on the road for the first time in forever. Remember, prior to that game the road team had not even scored the 1st goal in a game 7 since 1987. They're in trouble more because of that division, the Rangers and Isles are going nowhere, the Caps with smart management should stay good, the Jackets need no sayin' they're gonna be a beast and the Flyers/Devils are not far away either.

they played a worn out wings team with an injured datsyuk and lidstrom

Last edited by a moderator:

ikyan

Apr 29, 2014
Kingston
No. They won a cup. That's difficult to do. Any fan would be happy with one cup from a core of players. With better management could they have won more? Probably. But in the end, a cup is just fine.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Their management doesn't know how to build a playoff winner. Look at Chicago. Their best players make roughly the same amount as the Penguins highest earners and they're always a contender. Difference is management. Hawks can develop players and find the right ones. Penguins can't.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
the penguins are exactly what everyone said they'd be 7 years ago once they paid their two uber stars.... them and a whole lot of nothing else...

Pretty much this. They had great young players at a cheap price and could fill in with great veteran players.

That luxury has expired now.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hard to win when 3 guys take up over 25mil in cap space. Prevents you from having enough depth to win it all.

Thats on management.

And 0 forwards on their ELC's contributing anything worthwhile

Exactly why management of young up and coming teams like the Jackets and Isles need to take notice of the Hawks and Pens, those two tied up so much freaking money in 2 or 3 guys its going to hurt them or already is. I am more than happy to let Okposo walk next summer then tying up 25 mill in him, JT, and Boychuk.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
When you have the 2 best players in the world you should win more than 1 cup.

Well, that's the problem though. It's the two best players surrounded by a very average group of players.

We saw Daniel friggin' Winnik on Crosby's LW to start the series. I don't even think he was a top six forward on the Leafs. That's how bad their depth is.

The Neal trade wasn't a very good move, they couldn't replace his production and the two huge holes on their blueline when they lost Niskanen and Orpik.

I'd say that team has relied a bit too much on their two best players.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I wouldn't call them a "bust" because I think they were severely overrated from the get go. They are a top-heavy team with 2 superstar forwards who, once again, came up very small when it counted. I still don't understand why the "2 best players in the world" combined for 4 points in 5 games and yet people will still call them the two best.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Example of where Chi maybe headed...
In a cap world you can't pay that much for 2 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad