Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Penguins..are just cursed with injuries every season. It's mind boggling but if they had any semblance of a healthy team in the playoffs in the last six years they would have one more cup. It's a semi disappointing era.

No team could withstand losing their top four defensemen for a month and try to win a cup. Especially losing the likes of Letang and Maatta.

Pens could have very easily won their series vs the Rangers if a few bounces went their way

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
Crosby tends to disappear when it counts most. His playoff/Olympic numbers are pretty average.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Disappointing for who?

For me? No.

For Penguins fans? Would be interesting to see them take a poll in the Penguins forum to find out.

For the Penguins organization? Probably. It depends on what their expectations were when they built their core. If their goal was a Stanley Cup, they're fine. If their goal was 5, then they're probably disappointed.

For Sidney Crosby? Almost certainly. But I think he probably wants to win one every year.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The biggest Playoff disappointment is by far the Blues. Talking about Pittsburgh and disappointment, you'd have to go back to long before the Playoffs even started.

Church of Toews*

We had a lot of injuries this year.

One thing people are quick to forget is that we have normally had really good success in the post-season in the Crosby/Malkin era, and have been one of the top teams in the league taking everything into account during that period. This includes a Cup, another Cup final, and a ECF final appearance just last year.

Not really seeing that since winning the cup they been eliminated by lower seeded teams and the fact that people can casually predict that the pens will implode every post season really says how bad they've been

2010 beat a lowly senators team then got upset by Montreal who was 7th seed
2011 defeated by tampa in the first round who was a lower seed
2012 defeated by Philly in the first round who was a lower seed
2013 beat The Islanders who were in the playoffs for the first time ever and beat Ottawa then collasped against Boston with Crosby and Malkin held point less. Pit assembled a cup or bust team and had 1st seed in the east only to get swept in the ECF with 2 goals scored the entire series
2014 Beat Lumbus which was expected then Blew a 3-1 series lead and got eliminated by NYR lower seed too
2015 Pens nearly got bounced in 5 games to the NYR

if you call that playoff success then i feel sorry for you son because Chicago and La have four cups and your dynasty team has 1:yo:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I wouldn't call them a "bust" because I think they were severely overrated from the get go. They are a top-heavy team with 2 superstar forwards who, once again, came up very small when it counted. I still don't understand why the "2 best players in the world" combined for 4 points in 5 games and yet people will still call them the two best.

Because it is such a small sample size.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Not really seeing that since winning the cup they been eliminated by lower seeded teams and the fact that people can casually predict that the pens will implode every post season really says how bad they've been

2013 beat The Islanders who were in the playoffs for the first time ever and beat Ottawa then collasped against Boston with Crosby and Malkin held point less. Pit assembled a cup or bust team and had 1st seed in the east only to get swept in the ECF with 2 goals scored the entire series
2014 Beat Lumbus which was expected then Blew a 3-1 series lead and got eliminated by NYR lower seed too

if you call that playoff success then i feel sorry for you son because Chicago and La have four cups and your dynasty team has 1:yo:

Am I reading this right?

:huh:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
IF this era is a disappointment for the Pens, what does that mean for teams like the Caps, Blues, Sharks and Rags?

I'm not sure the Caps have disappointed anyone outside of their fanbase. Only us are gullible enough to believe after each playoff exit that the next time will be the right one. We've come to realize that this team just can't get it done, so we have lowered our expectations over the time.

The Sharks however are a huge disappointment.

The Pens are not a disappointment.

alexanderselivanov*

if they haven't won a cup by 2020 then yeah i'd call it a disappointment.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

if you call that playoff success then i feel sorry for you son because Crhicago and La have four cups and your dynasty team has 1:yo:

Chicago and LA have four cups? You fail miserably at either math or logic, maybe both.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
Penguins..are just cursed with injuries every season. It's mind boggling but if they had any semblance of a healthy team in the playoffs in the last six years they would have one more cup. It's a semi disappointing era.

No team could withstand losing their top four defensemen for a month and try to win a cup. Especially losing the likes of Letang and Maatta.

Pens could have very easily won their series vs the Rangers if a few bounces went their way

No offence but at what point is it just having injury prone players? 6 years is a pretty big sample size.

Like Letang is a perfect example, he's missed a lot of games over the years (not as many in the playoffs) but did the Penguins organization not choose to invest the money in him knowing most years he's missing 10-20 games?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No offence but at what point is it just having injury prone players? 6 years is a pretty big sample size.

Like Letang is a perfect example, he's missed a lot of games over the years (not as many in the playoffs) but did the Penguins organization not choose to invest the money in him knowing most years he's missing 10-20 games?

Letang is like an improved and more expensive version of Mike Green. An offensive Dman who can't stay healthy yet has a huge contract. That's Shero and GMGM for you.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

They, uh..did lose to the Rangers in 5.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The biggest Playoff disappointment is by far the Blues. Talking about Pittsburgh and disappointment, you'd have to go back to long before the Playoffs even started.

Yeah all we heard is how Pittsburgh was the team to beat now that they had a new coach.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

As a Hawks fan, I apoligize for the incredible level of arrogance and hubris in the above post.

People fail to realize that in the Cap NHL even if you have an elite team you probably have about a 10% chance to win the Cup. Factor in injuries, and many teams don't even have that.

The last 5 Cup winners were lucky enough to not loose any of their top players when they won the Cup (closest being Horton on the Bruins). Pens lost 2 of their top 5 players in Letang & Maatta IMO.

Not saying the Pens should be satisfied with 1 Cup, but IMO its hard to call any team that won a Cup a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad