Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
On a team that has 20+ mil tied up with 2 players, it can’t afford to have such a useless contract as this. Never dreamed his offence would dry up this much this fast. Boat anchor!

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah. You've made that quite clear. Fill Lucic's hole with a younger guy making 900k, then you've got about 1.5 million to spend on making the team better, while you carry a $3.6 million dollar hit for a guy who can't even crack an NHL lineup.

Real smart.

Are you aware Lucic's contract runs for four more years after this? Maybe this is news to you. We should be thinking beyond this season here since it's not like he's going to get better.

Would Lucic even crack in the lineup on any other NHL team at this point?

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Are you aware Lucic's contract runs for four more years after this? Maybe this is news to you.

Well aware. Are you aware that Alzner's is only one year less?

And yes, he would. I mean I get the guy is overpaid, but he is still an NHL player. The dollar value you make has no relevance on your ability to crack a lineup. And regardless of how much guys want to say it's because of his play and not his contract, if Lucic is making $3 million, nobody is complaining. I mean guys are just bitter. I can clearly see this in your case, as you want to take an even bigger boat anchor of a contract and pay $3.6 million to just not have Lucic.

It's a shit contract. No doubt. But the suggestions you are making make the Oilers worse off. And you're just suggesting them out of spite.

space321

May 11, 2011
Well...if you understood my post then why did you misrepresent it?
Valid question.

I didn't.

This is literally what you said about Eberle vs. Lucic, I didn't misrepresent anything.

Man...the vitriol around Lucic is something to behold.
Yes he is over paid by a lot...thats not going to change no matter how much people b!tch about it.

Could be much worse...look at Eberle for example....same AAV....not scoring....doesnt hit....doesnt cycle the puck particularly well....weak along the wall...is poor defensively.
So he brings absolutely nothing to the team when he isnt scoring.
He is a liability.

The only way to view Lucic right now is to overlook the salary and view him as a 3rd line player and highlight everything else he can do aside from scoring. Cycling the puck....hitting (he is the best on the team)...strong along the wall...being a strong defenisve player....and just busting his ass on every shift.
He is doing those things right now so at least he is contributing.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Are you aware Lucic's contract runs for four more years after this? Maybe this is news to you. We should be thinking beyond this season here since it's not like he's going to get better.

Eh looking into it you can buy alzner out for 1.1 mill a season. Maybe you have a point with that trade.

space321

May 11, 2011

And yes, he would. I mean I get the guy is overpaid, but he is still an NHL player. The dollar value you make has no relevance on your ability to crack a lineup. And regardless of how much guys want to say it's because of his play and not his contract, if Lucic is making $3 million, nobody is complaining. I mean guys are just bitter. I can clearly see this in your case, as you want to take an even bigger boat anchor of a contract and pay $3.6 million to just not have Lucic.

It's a **** contract. No doubt. But the suggestions you are making make the Oilers worse off. And you're just suggesting them out of spite.

Lucic is barely a 4th liner at this point lol. I can count on one hand the number of good plays he made this entire season. He's a 6M/yr warm body to fill the lineup.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

It's a **** contract. No doubt. But the suggestions you are making make the Oilers worse off. And you're just suggesting them out of spite.

He's not making 3 million so that's irrelevant but to your point I'm pretty sure there would be complaints about a 3 million dollar a year 4th liner for 4 more years after this one. There are complaints about Kassian and he's only at 1.95.

Fans are bitter about a 6 million dollar a year player contributing next to nothing? No shit, next you'll be surprised to learn fans are upset that the incompetent management that signed him is still in charge.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
He's not making 3 million so that's irrelevant but to your point I'm pretty sure there would be complaints about a 3 million dollar a year 4th liner for 4 more years after this one. There are complaints about Kassian and he's only at 1.95.

Fans are bitter about a 6 million dollar a year player contributing next to nothing? No ****, next you'll be surprised to learn fans are upset that the incompetent management that signed him is still in charge.

I know they're bitter. And rightfully so. But for him to say that he'd deal him for a boat anchor of a defenseman that is currently eating up $3.6 million dollars to play on your farm team is just ridiculous.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Fans are bitter about a 6 million dollar a year player contributing next to nothing? No ****, next you'll be surprised to learn fans are upset that the incompetent management that signed him is still in charge.
You are ranting about something he isn’t even saying.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't.

This is literally what you said about Eberle vs. Lucic, I didn't misrepresent anything.

Here is what you said....

An Eberle that stands still without the puck is miles better than this Lucic (according to you) that is "...doing those things right now so at least he is contributing". I'd argue that Lucic isn't contributing anything at all.

I like how you talk as if scoring doesn't matter. News flash, the game is won on goals, not hits. Sure, just take away Eberle's goals so you can give him and Lucic an even playing ground lol. Why don't we compare Lucic to other one dimensional scorers too? How about Laine? Take away his goals and he's basically worse than Lucic. Do you realize how ridiculous your argument is when the first criteria is the ignore scoring?

That is a total misrepresentation of what I said. You then went on to use that strawman in the rest of your post and as if that wasnt enough you tried to belittle my post with your pissy tone.

space321

May 11, 2011
Here is what you said....

An Eberle that stands still without the puck is miles better than this Lucic (according to you) that is "...doing those things right now so at least he is contributing". I'd argue that Lucic isn't contributing anything at all.

That is a total misrepresentation of what I said. You then went on to use that strawman in the rest of your post and as if that wasnt enough you tried to belittle my post with your pissy tone.

Yes I said that, because it's a fact. Don't get so defensive just because your evaluation of Lucic's "contributions" is way off. An AHL prospect can do his job on our 4th line for less than 1M/year.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The reality is I don't think this team can win a cup with that boat anchor of a contact. At some point they have to burry him in the minors and eat it. He can retire after a couple years in the ahl. Mcdavid is to important to let lucic mess it up

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yes I said that, because it's a fact. Don't get so defensive just because your evaluation of Lucic's "contributions" is way off. An AHL prospect can do his job on our 4th line for less than 1M/year.

Your post where you state that I talk as if scoring doesn't matter was hardly factual no matter how hard you want to believe it was. It was a strawman on your part.

I never said that or inferred that. Try again.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Yeah that's part of what makes it a better contract than Lucic's.

If we define NHL player as "player in the NHL" you are correct. But he's not a meaningful contributor. Most night's he's an actual liability. He's a replacement level bottom sixer who would be a whipping boy if he was anyone else, even if he was making $3M a year.

Explain how dumping an immoveable contract for a useless player for a less bad, more manageable contract for another useless player makes the team worse off. Lines are open.

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
Your post where you state that I talk as if scoring doesn't matter was hardly factual no matter how hard you want to believe it was. It was a strawman on your part.

I never said that or inferred that. Try again.

It's literally what you wrote. You should try harder to make it sound like Lucic is a productive member of this team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I am going to contradict myself in this post but I'm posting it anyways. Some will laugh and scoff at me...I really don't care, it's something I've thought about posting for a while with Lucic.

We all know the jersey number doesn't make the player. It has no bearing on how many goals or assists or points a player gets. It doesn't make a player skate faster, find the open areas better and be a smarter player but I think Lucic should drop #27.

Here comes the self-contradictory part.

The superstitious/unseen forces side of me looks at Lucic and the jersey number connection to Semenko. The first Lucic season here, 50 point season-things looked good. Semenko, may he rest in peace, then passes away last summer. Last season and this season, Lucic suddenly looks horrible and coincidentally...is putting up Semenko-like offensive numbers. To me, #27 on an Oilers uni will always be synonymous with Semenko (Laraque wore it too, I know) and since he has passed, I think Lucic should "give it back" to Dave and change to a new number. Do I think it's some sort of supernatural force causing Lucic to channel Semenko? Of course not but it is just so weird (too me anyways) with the timing of Semenko's passing, tied in with Lucic's sudden drastic drop in offensive numbers which continue to plague him today, with #27 being their jersey numbers.

To this point, nothing else has worked for Lucic so why not try a new jersey number.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I am going to contradict myself in this post but I'm posting it anyways. Some will laugh and scoff at me...I really don't care, it's something I've thought about posting for a while with Lucic.

We all know the jersey number doesn't make the player. It has no bearing on how many goals or assists or points a player gets. It doesn't make a player skate faster, find the open areas better and be a smarter player but I think Lucic should drop #27.

The superstitious/unseen forces side of me looks at Lucic and the jersey number connection to Semenko. The first Lucic season here, 50 point season-things looked good. Semenko, may he rest in peace, then passes away last summer. Last season and this season, Lucic suddenly looks horrible and coincidentally...is putting up Semenko-like offensive numbers. To me, #27 on an Oilers uni will always be synonymous with Semenko (Laraque wore it too, I know) and since he has passed, I think Lucic should "give it back" to Dave and change to a new number. Do I think it's some sort of supernatural force causing Lucic to channel Semenko? Of course not but it is just so weird (too me anyways) with the timing of Semenko's passing, tied in with Lucic's sudden drastic drop in offensive numbers which continue to plague him today, with #27 being their jersey numbers.

To this point, nothing else has worked for Lucic so why not try a new jersey number.

Not sure if you're serious or not. So I'll just assume this was a joke post and take it for what it is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's literally what you wrote. You should try harder to make it sound like Lucic is a productive member of this team.

Then it should be easy to show me the sentence. Post the sentence that literally says or implies that scoring doesn't matter.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The reality is I don't think this team can win a cup with that boat anchor of a contact. At some point they have to burry him in the minors and eat it. He can retire after a couple years in the ahl. Mcdavid is to important to let lucic mess it up

How are they going to bury him in the minors? He has a NMC. Plus, we still carry the full cap hit minus $1 million, even if he is in the AHL. So we would save all of $1 million, even if we could convince him to go to the AHL. But that is a moot point, as there is no way that Lucic would waive his NMC to play in the AHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i actually think this has merit, the only thing is Semenko wasnt lazy......but here is where i see the corelation. dustin penner was lazy. the number is tainted, the number is cursed with stone hands and lazy. if looch was wearing 37 he would be WAY stronger

Reactions: McFuhryous

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Put him in 15. We’ve had lots of luck with guys in that jersey.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Put me in the 'laugh and/or scoff group'

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Chia sure f'ed up the Oilers payroll.

Combined Lucic, Russell , and Draisaitl are making over 5M too much which could be a solid player.

space321

May 11, 2011
Chia sure f'ed up the Oilers payroll.

Combined Lucic, Russell , and Draisaitl are making over 5M too much which could be a solid player.

Lucic alone is making 5M too much lol.

Russell like 0.5-1M too much, and same with Draisaitl. It's unfair to lump those two in with Lucic b/c at least those two are useful.

Reactions: Raoul Duke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad