Edmonton
Use Cap Friendly, not Google.

Milan Lucic - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

His remaining salary after this year is

6 mill
4 mill
5 mill
4 mill

HOWEVER, on July 1, 2019, he gets a $3 mill signing bonus. So the actual salary after that, PLUS the Oilers retaining an additional $1 mill/year becomes

2 mill (3 mill to a bonus and -1 mill retained)
3 mill
4 mill
3 mill

Got it?
You can’t really retain salary like that. You have to retain a percentage and the percentage is the same for both cap hit and salary. So in order to retain $1m in actual salary after the bonus was paid out I believe the oilers would be retaining 33% of the deal which would leave us with a 2M cap hit and variable amounts we’d be paying each year to Lucic based on what his salary for each year remaining would be.

I’m not sure if you can change the percentage retained from one year to the next though. If you could, you could hypothetically find a way to retain $1m per year. But I’ve never heard of that happening. Maybe @Fourier could clarify better than me.

Maybe just a minor nitpick in the grand scheme though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't think it is all that hyperbolic. Maybe a Rob Klinkhammer type.

The "identity" line is your typical 4th line grinder line. It's the newest re-iteration of the "wagon" line we had with Hendricks-Gordon-whoever.
At least Brodziak and Kassian kill some penalties...

Yeah...it was hyperbolic....either that or you dont know what your talking about.

What is the typical TOI of a 4th liner?

Last edited:

space321

May 11, 2011
I like how you dont seem to comprehend my post.

I never said or "acted" like scoring doesn't matter. I simply recognized and underscored other elements that actually do matter when a player isnt scoring..

Seems to have upset a few posters...lol

I'm pretty sure I understood your post. You're just vastly over-valuing all these supposed "intangibles" that Lucic "offers".

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm pretty sure I understood your post. You're just vastly over-valuing all these supposed "intangibles" that Lucic "offers".

Well...if you understood my post then why did you misrepresent it?
Valid question.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Are you saying you wouldn't trade Lucic for James Neal today if it was offered?

I've watched every Flames game this year. I'm not sure why I torture myself doing so, I just really like to see them lose. Even though it hasn't happened very much recently. I'm not sure how many Flames games you've watched this year, but James Neal is absolutely useless. And the thing with Lucic is when he isn't scoring, he at least brings something in the form of physicality, although it is fairly minimal. James Neal brings absolutely nothing when he isn't putting the puck in the net.

I don't make the trade no.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No. It's not.

Trust me, it's bad. But it's not the worst. I take Lucic's contract over Erikssons, Neals, Alzners, Backes, Marc Staals. And that's just the ones I know off the top of my head.

Neal is the only one you can really make a case for out of that group. the rest are either less money, less term or more easily bought out.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Neal is the only one you can really make a case for out of that group. the rest are either less money, less term or more easily bought out.

Worst contract in the league. That's what you said. I'm stating that all of those have worse value. It doesn't matter if they are less term or dollar amounts. As an overall burden to a team, those contracts are worse. I mean hell, Alzner isn't even in the league anymore.

And yeah, as per the previous convos, Toews and Seabrook top Lucic's as well. Besides his performance as of late, I'd say Bobby Ryan is worse too.

It's a bad contract, but its not even close to the worst in the league.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Worst contract in the league. That's what you said. I'm stating that all of those have worse value. It doesn't matter if they are less term or dollar amounts. As an overall burden to a team, those contracts are worse. I mean hell, Alzner isn't even in the league anymore.

Sorry, you lost me when you started talking about contract value and ignored the term and dollar amount.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Sorry, you lost me when you started talking about contract value and ignored the term and dollar amount.

Lol, you're just spinning it how you want to spin it.

Key quote in that message that lets you know I am in fact taking those into account "As an overall burden to a team, those contracts are worse. "

The statement was made against your argument that they are less term and dollar value. Not that on an overall basis it doesn't matter.

And, to be honest, dollar value in effect isn't a be all end all. I mean with that theory, you'd rather pay Alzners 4.7 hit for him to play in the American League than Lucic's 6 to play in the pros?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lol, you're just spinning it how you want to spin it.

Key quote in that message that lets you know I am in fact taking those into account "As an overall burden to a team, those contracts are worse. "

And they aren't. For example, Alzner, by virtue of not being on the roster, is not taking up space on the roster.

Lucic is a detriment to the team by taking up cap and roster space that could be filled with a better player.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
And they aren't. For example, Alzner, by virtue of not being on the roster, is not taking up space on the roster.

Lucic is a detriment to the team by taking up cap and roster space that could be filled with a better player.

The fact you think that having a cap hit of $3.6 million for your player to not "take up a roster space" over having Lucic is f***ing laughable. Sure, I'd rather have neither. But saying you'd rather have Alzners contract is insane.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

And yeah, as per the previous convos, Toews and Seabrook top Lucic's as well. Besides his performance as of late, I'd say Bobby Ryan is worse too.

It's a bad contract, but its not even close to the worst in the league.
It’s not the worst contract in the league. He needs to do some homework.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The fact you think that having a cap hit of $3.6 million for your player to not "take up a roster space" over having Lucic is ****ing laughable. Sure, I'd rather have neither. But saying you'd rather have Alzners contract is insane.

I would trade Lucic for Alzner in a heartbeat, no question.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I would trade Lucic for Alzner in a heartbeat, no question.

Yeah. You've made that quite clear. Fill Lucic's hole with a younger guy making 900k, then you've got about 1.5 million to spend on making the team better, while you carry a $3.6 million dollar hit for a guy who can't even crack an NHL lineup.

Real smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad