Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Soul8, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl Civilized Worm

Thanks man. I'm genuinely sorry its come to this. We've experienced enough pain as fans. I know at one time you were a fan of Looch and had far different expectations. Some people check out of responsibility and you can't really predict who. Lucic essentially retired when he signed this contract. It was my suspicion, nothing to base it on, just a feeling. Its terrible its come to this. I agree the org has to embarrass Lucic at this point.

As an aside there were some things in the Vancouver incident that didn't sit well with me. That hilited Looch had a lot of issues. He dissed the city of Vancouver, saying he's never coming back, just because some jackasses stirred a fight with him. Why generalize like that. To me it seemed that something was already wrong with Looch to take that reaction. He's stubborn too. For all we know something has happened here and he's ******** about it.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  2. Messier11

Messier11 Registered User

Just go through Lucic's twitter account.

3. Drivesaitl

I'm not on twitter (can't sign up either for some reason) and so can't do that. Can you respond or pm me details if its not something you can post here.

Thanks

4. Hemsky4pm2

Hemsky4pm2 Registered User

I don't think Kassian, Nurse or Khaira would be scared to physically challenge Lucic. Nurse fought him already.

But, the reality is that he's just physically unable to contribute at the NHL level any more. He's teammates know it and probably pity him. He'll likely get his 21.5M Katz handshake this summer. The only other option is a failed medical or, depending on the contract terms, coming to an agreement on LTIR where the player still gets all the money and the team gets out from under the deal. Lucic and his camp would need to feel ready for retirement for that to work and the insurance auditors would have more that a few questions a la Hossa. Lucic's back condition probably affords everyone with a dignified out. My guess is Lucic is stubborn as a mule and forces the buyout thinking he'll get an extra 2M per year from some team and come out ahead. I think that assessment would be wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if he believes he can still play. Sort of how Maroon felt he was a 4M player on the open market only to realize he cocked up and probably cost himself 5+M by leaving Connor. Self-deception.

What a disaster and one that most intelligent hockey observers saw coming from miles away.

If I had a kid with NHL ability, I'm recommending Lucic's agent. Amazing contract for the player.

5. McFuhryous

McFuhryous Registered User

The media can say all they want and call out players, I don't think much will change. This organization is way too arrogant and conceited to realise they're the problem, not the solution.

The rest of the league, especially the Cali teams, know the refs are in their back pocket for the most part. They can do whatever they can practically do what they want against the Oilers with very little punishment. When an Oiler retaliates, ie Kassian, it's an automatic penalty. In scrums, the refs are in there right away protecting the other player (which is usually the instigator).

I think part of it is they know they'll get called and don't want to put the team shorthanded because the PK sucks.

6. Drivesaitl

The Redwine club, Gretz, Nicholson, others, maybe even Katz were at this game. That's why I liked that the Kings on the bench were mocking the Oilers. It was impossible not to notice that the Kings bench called out the Oilers bench in this game, early, and the Oilers did not respond.

This is a bigger moment than most. I even think last year that Bieksa calling out the Oilers PP on National TV was the kind of embarrassment that ultimately led to change. Katz, Lowe, etal, they don't like the laughter....;)

The one thing that motivates this org is jeering. Something will happen.

Don't agree with your comment about the pk. This was the ideal game in which to exact retribution. The game was over, by the third period. we had a whole period for our enforcers to show something. lol that it was Lucic running after Liepsic. What an embrassment. The whole Edmonton bench has to witness that as well.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair likes this.
  7. SavesFromKosko

SavesFromKosko Registered User

Some not very credible sources say that the rumour is Lucic officially requested a trade. If there is any truth to that it’s laughable. Absolutely zero teams would be interested.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  8. GreatKeith

GreatKeith The price you have to pay

Accountant
    The Condors might be interested... if only such a thing were possible.

9. Little Fury

Little Fury Registered User

I think we're heading to a buyout with this guy.

10. frag2

frag2 Registered User

Hope he bounces himself to the Sun .

Pure garbage player that cares more about personal image amongst his social circle than the team that pays him.

11. SavesFromKosko

Someone posted how the buyout would work. Barely even worth it.

12. Zerotonine

Zerotonine Registered User

Sit him in the press box then. Pretty sure his ego would take a beating atleast

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  13. Little Fury

I'm aware, but I'm not sure there's another way out.

14. Little Fury

If Tampa Bay can void a guy's contract for being fat, can the Oilers do it to Lucic for being useless?

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  15. SavesFromKosko

Yep PC really made it a bullet proof contract

Raoul Duke likes this.
  16. Jamin

Jamin Registered User

Not even for the cap space just to not have to look at him on skates anymore

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  17. Spawn

Spawn Playoff bound

We're at the point were even the meager savings from a buyout over the next 4 seasons and then the minor penalties afterwards for a few seasons are likely preferable to having him on this roster.

18. Little Fury

Bang on.Hopefully cap inflation makes the poison pill a little easier to swallow.

19. ThreeOfAPerfectPair

ThreeOfAPerfectPair Registered User

Could the Oilers just order him to stay home and not be around the team?

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  20. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

Barring a brain injury this is ****ing horse **** on his part. Completely inexcusable. Even if he can't stickhandle and snipe just based on his size and strength he should be able to pot goals by screening the goalie and crashing the crease. He blows at both of those things because he doesn't put in the effort to get better in those areas.

21. McFuhryous

McFuhryous Registered User

We'll Randorf did say security wouldn't let Gretz into the building and someone from the Oilers had to get him in. They were joking that all the security guard had to do was go compare the statue of the guy out front to the guy wanting in lol.

Gretzky probably wishes he stayed out.

22. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

This guy is a complete joke.

Stop whining to the media about your play and ****ing man up and show some effort. All he does is float around the ice with zero intensity. He doesn't play like he wants to score, he could care less about the result.

Pathetic to watch.

23. Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil English is Overrated, I Score Goals

Tell him that he'll be traveling with the team, not practicing and riding pine from now until he voids his deal or someone trades for him. The traveling part is just to make things uncomfortable for him. He clearly cares about his old teammates yet he has no regard for how much he's ****ed his GM that knew him from Boston and then gave him his retirement contract.

24. Soundwave

Soundwave Registered User

Lucic's family lives in LA in the summer, they have a home there. Why would he not have friends there.

Him waiving the NTC is the issue, he likely would waive for just about any other market at this point.

25. Stoneman89

Stoneman89 Registered User

A buyout would be the worst possible thing they could do at this point. He'd be on the books for many years after, and it would hamstring us going forward. Take the lumps and move him in a year or two.