Player Discussion Can Lucic bounce back? Part II

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What is he supposed to do? Go assault doughty and have you complain that he took a dumb penalty?

For a guy who raved about how Edmonton was a easy team to play against and that needs to change, he sure did f*** all to his king pals while they were all over McDavid. What does it tell you when even Stauffer himself ripped Lucic? I'd rather see Lucic take a dumb penalty standing up for his captain instead of doing nothing going after a small kings player that isn't even a part of his pals. Keep trying to defend Lucic though. He's a pathetic excuse of an NHL player that I'd rather see Patrick O'Sullivan suit up for the Oilers.

Even Maroon wouldn't let anything slide if opponents went after McDavid. Too bad we couldn't keep Maroon over 6M clown in Lucic who wants out because he can't cut it in an Canadian market. Pathetic, really.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What is he supposed to do? Go assault doughty and have you complain that he took a dumb penalty?

It's called picking your spots intelligently, and what you would expect from a veteran player that's been in the league as long as he has, and is a job that is not new to him. Assaulting a passive little 4th liner probably doesn't accomplish a whole lot.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It's called picking your spots intelligently, and what you would expect from a veteran player that's been in the league as long as he has, and is a job that is not new to him. Assaulting a passive little 4th liner probably doesn't accomplish a whole lot.

The last time Lucic actually looked like the Lucic we wanted.
Yet now, he looks like a bigger Patrick O'Sullivan out there showing absolutely no effort or care at all. If guys like Taylor Hall did what Lucic does now, the torches would be lit. Yet despite all the losing, at least Hall gave a shit about trying to win. Must be sweet making thousands per game though while doing nothing on ice, f*** Lucic.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

The last time Lucic actually looked like the Lucic we wanted.
Yet now, he looks like a bigger Patrick O'Sullivan out there showing absolutely no effort or care at all. If guys like Taylor Hall did what Lucic does now, the torches would be lit. Yet despite all the losing, at least Hall gave a **** about trying to win. Must be sweet making thousands per game though while doing nothing on ice, **** Lucic.

Geez la wheeze that was a hit.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just to understand the motivation of the Lucic. He has 19M left on his contract. 11.5M of bonuses, and 7.5M of base salary.

The only money he loses if he is bought out is 33% of the base. So 2.5M out of the 7.5M of base.

If he make the team so down on him they feel they have to do whatever it takes to move him and he refuses to waive his NMC, he only loses 2.5M out of 19M! He can easily get that back signing for league minimum for the next 4 years if he wanted, and he could definitely get more than that from some dumb GM.

I honestly can't blame him if he is trying to force our hand for a buyout. That's a pretty sweet deal.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Took in a game live recently, he looked so far gone. Could barely chip the puck in the zone let alone make a pass. Wonder if the Oilers can Robidas/Hossa him, it's the only hope of losing his contract.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A buyout would be the worst possible thing they could do at this point. He'd be on the books for many years after, and it would hamstring us going forward. Take the lumps and move him in a year or two.

Not really, there's only three bad years on the buyout (and those are still lower than his regular cap hit), which is better than four bad years of paying the full freight and having this plug on the roster.

thesegotoeleven

Nov 5, 2018
He is terrible... it was easy to see for most that this signing would blow up in our faces. Just another example of Chia's awful asset management. I didn't even think he was great in first year with Edmonton when he had 50 points with us. Watching him stick handle reminds me of the little men on the table top hockey games. Watching him skate is just shocking...

Frankly, I can't see him ever bouncing back...the game passed him by 3-5 years ago. He was effective in Boston for some years, but that time is gone. We are worse with him on the ice... I wouldn't play him if he made $2M per year and I agree with the above comments... he needs to be scratched.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He is terrible... it was easy to see for most that this signing would blow up in our faces. Just another example of Chia's awful asset management. I didn't even think he was great in first year with Edmonton when he had 50 points with us. Watching him stick handle reminds me of the little men on the table top hockey games. Watching him skate is just shocking...

Frankly, I can't see him ever bouncing back...the game passed him by 3-5 years ago. He was effective in Boston for some years, but that time is gone. We are worse with him on the ice... I wouldn't play him if he made $2M per year and I agree with the above comments... he needs to be scratched.
The game passed him over 5 years go? He was excellent when he played for LA. I was completely on board with the scratch lucic train after the LA game. However he had a good game in Anaheim if not his best game of the year.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
I am going to give u guys my unsubstantiated, un-sourced opinion of what is happening with Lucic.

I think he hasn't been the same since his dad committed suicide. I believe he took it / is taking it really hard (who wouldn't). I would also wager that Lucic--as emotional as we've known him to be up until a few years ago--is prone to depression, like his dad. I don't think he's 100% in-the-now anymore. for these reasons, I really feel for the guy.

My dad and I were close, and when he passed, I went through the motions for years. I tried to do good at my job and at other aspects of my life, but the motivation to do so was sucked clean out of me. I'm sure there are more than one of you here that know exactly what I'm talking about.

As frustrating as it is with his contract and his play, I feel for the guy. Badly. Again, I am only speculating, but I am personally convinced this is the issue with him.

Edit:

I would also say the same thing happened to Mike Tyson after Cus D'amato died.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and Nuff78

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I am going to give u guys my unsubstantiated, un-sourced opinion of what is happening with Lucic.

I think he hasn't been the same since his dad committed suicide. I believe he took it / is taking it really hard (who wouldn't). I would also wager that Lucic--as emotional as we've known him to be up until a few years ago--is prone to depression, like his dad. I don't think he's 100% in-the-now anymore. for these reasons, I really feel for the guy.

My dad and I were close, and when he passed, I went through the motions for years. I tried to do good at my job and at other aspects of my life, but the motivation to do so was sucked clean out of me. I'm sure there are more than one of you here that know exactly what I'm talking about.

As frustrating as it is with his contract and his play, I feel for the guy. Badly. Again, I am only speculating, but I am personally convinced this is the issue with him.

Edit:

Makes sense, my outlook on life drastically changed when I lost my Mom to cancer at 51. Life is tough for everyone whether you make 6 million a year or are barely scraping by.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Shathar

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I would also wager that Lucic--as emotional as we've known him to be up until a few years ago--is prone to depression, like his dad.

Looch has vaguely alluded to some issues around this, he's mentioned a few times trying to be "mentally healthy" before the start of this season and discussed how hard it is to get through winter.

Another fact is that Lucic has been in over 70 fights in the NHL, and over 100 including his junior career. There's so much we don't understand about concussions, Post-Concussion syndrome, and CTE, and there is no way of knowing whether Lucic has been affected by any post-concussion symptoms at any point, but it can't be great for his overall mental health, especially considering the tragic family history he has.

I personally agree with you - Lucic went from being the career average Lucic in 2016-17 and the first half of the 2017-18 season into his current state very suddenly, and in the absence of any notable physical injuries. While it's true that power forwards usually decline more sharply than other players, it doesn't usually happen in the middle of a season (again, barring a notable injury).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Despite his strong game last night, I wonder if he would benefit with a couple weeks in the AHL getting his feel for offensive hockey back.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Despite his strong game last night, I wonder if he would benefit with a couple weeks in the AHL getting his feel for offensive hockey back.

Lucic wouldn't be able to score in the AHL either. Lucic wants out of Edmonton pretty much confirmed now. The media and the fans have turned on me wha wha wha.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Edit:

I'm afraid I just don't buy it. I know its as easy excuse to make, but it just doesn't fit.

He was still a Bruin when that happened with his father. His 4th and 5th most productive seasons came immediately following the suicide. He played for LA the season after it happened. If there's one city to go off the rails in from depression, it's LA. Not only did that not happen, but he was actually a very impactful, productive player.
He also made a point at training camp this season to talk about how great he feels and that this is the best he's been mentally in a long time.
He's just too slow out there. He can't keep up with the play and he hasn't been bothered to improve. Despite his obvious frustration, he still doesn't have the motivation to work on his passing or shooting before or after practice. This is too high a level to just expect things to happen for you eventually without putting the work in. The best players in this league work tirelessly at improving.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I'm afraid I just don't buy it. I know its as easy excuse to make, but it just doesn't fit.

He was still a Bruin when that happened with his father. His 4th and 5th most productive seasons came immediately following the suicide. He played for LA the season after it happened. If there's one city to go off the rails in from depression, it's LA. Not only did that not happen, but he was actually a very impactful, productive player.
He also made a point at training camp this season to talk about how great he feels and that this is the best he's been mentally in a long time.
He's just too slow out there. He can't keep up with the play and he hasn't been bothered to improve. Despite his obvious frustration, he still doesn't have the motivation to work on his passing or shooting before or after practice. This is too high a level to just expect things to happen for you eventually without putting the work in. The best players in this league work tirelessly at improving.

The city to go off the rails from depression is Edmonton. I have first-hand experience with that. If he knew that weather added to his depression he should have signed somewhere warm and sunny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad