Can Bobrovsky challenge Price for Vezina?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
So, now since the Blue Jackets are 1st in the League, with their last two wins against both Pittsburgh and Montreal, and Bobrovsky allowing just 2 goals against in those two games; and on top of that currently with the best GA in the League... Does Bobrovsky deserve strong consideration now?

MoreOrr,

I don't know what you mean by "best GA in the league." Seems by m math that Minnesota has the best GA/gm in the league, and Dubnyk's GAA is better than Bobrovsky's by about .3/gm.

Help me understand what you mean.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
MoreOrr,

I don't know what you mean by "best GA in the league." Seems by m math that Minnesota has the best GA/gm in the league, and Dubnyk's GAA is better than Bobrovsky's by about .3/gm.

Help me understand what you mean.

I think he was referring to raw GA by the team - CBJ=65, MN=66.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bob has had his issues but this I can say for him this season..... HE"S HOT......

Price is a Golden child, he didn't even play in CBUS yesterday because the Habs knew they couldn't win!!!!! They wanted to spare the golden boy a loss...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Bob has had his issues but this I can for him this season..... HE"S HOT......

Price is a Golden child, he didn't even play in CBUS yesterday because the Habs knew they couldn't win!!!!! They wanted to spare the golden boy a loss...

No, they didn't spare golden boy a loss, he lost to MN the night before.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
No, they didn't spare golden boy a loss, he lost to MN the night before.

As you will do to the CBJ on NYE..... :)

Just kidding, the Wild are on fire, the NYE game will be classic!!!

If we can beat you on your ice we may have a chance for the cup.... :)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
the first star of the month, while price plays only home games and keeps losing every second one to boot.

I mean Price just had a bad month.

his stats for December are:

2.54 GAA
.899 SV%
5-3-3

So yeah, bad month for him. He's still the best goalie in the world though, and i'm sure he'll bounce back. He's still at the heart of both the Vezina and Hart races. I wouldn't count him out just yet thats for sure.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I mean Price just had a bad month.

his stats for December are:

2.54 GAA
.899 SV%
5-3-3

So yeah, bad month for him. He's still the best goalie in the world though, and i'm sure he'll bounce back. He's still at the heart of both the Vezina and Hart races. I wouldn't count him out just yet thats for sure.
i'm just glad bob is in the race for now while so many hot heads tried to put him down and pump price's tires earlier in this thread.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I hope Bobrovsky or Dubnyk win it this year. With Price being an UFA at the end of next season, having another hardware in his collection would add some millions to the next contract.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I hope Bobrovsky or Dubnyk win it this year. With Price being an UFA at the end of next season, having another hardware in his collection would add some millions to the next contract.

I still say Price is the favorite to win it this year.

Not the "frontrunner" but the favorite. He's close enough, and Dubnyk has to experience a bit of a down period at some point.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Price/Dubnyk/Bob are the clear top three right now, how would you guys rank the next tier of Holtby/Andersen/Talbot/Rask/Jones etc..?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I still say Price is the favorite to win it this year.

Not the "frontrunner" but the favorite. He's close enough, and Dubnyk has to experience a bit of a down period at some point.

The year Price won the Hart & Vezina his SV% was 0.004% ahead of the next closest (Dubnyk).

Right now Dubnyk is 0.007% ahead of the next closest and 0.011% up on Price. It's not really close at all, if it stays like this it's Dubnyk in a walk.

That said, 10 good or bad games either way could swing things considerably.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The year Price won the Hart & Vezina his SV% was 0.004% ahead of the next closest (Dubnyk).

Right now Dubnyk is 0.007% ahead of the next closest and 0.011% up on Price. It's not really close at all, if it stays like this it's Dubnyk in a walk.

Rinne was .003 or so up on Price in the year he won the Vezina and Hart and none of those had a "bad" month like Price just had (Statistically.), so your point is moot.

1.88, .930, 24 wins, 32 games played for Rinne

2.20, .927, 20 wins 30 games played for Price.

Things can change really quickly with goaltenders.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal

Two games ago for Dubnyk, his save percentage was .947. It's now at .941.

Things change fast, especially dealing with really high numbers. When you're dealing with a save percentage as high as some of these guys, you can have a really good night and still see your percentage drop.

You can get a sense of who's playing well right now just by watching them play, but I don't necessarily expect some of these numbers to hold up, especially those above or around .930.

Edit: I'd consider 2 GA on 30 shots a good night for a goalie. That's good enough for .93333, which would drop Dubnyk further to the pack. That's not even considering games where a team gives up a lower volume but a higher amount of high danger scoring chances, or, god forbid, a game where a goalie gets pulled early.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If Freddy Andersen keeps up his hot play, he may be a dark horse contender by end of season.

Come on, are you serious? :laugh:

The aforementioned 3 guys would literally need to fall off sheer cliff right now, and Andersen would need to go into god mode for the rest of the season. And thats also assuming that none of the numerous goalies better than Andersen get hot either.

Is there a possibility, I guess so, but there have to be some really crazy, crazy odds against it. Especially on the 2016-2017 Maple Leafs.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think he's head and shoulders better than Price right now. Price is not even top-5 if the voting woulda been right now. And he's better than Dubnyk too.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
This is a very tight race between 5 goalies and I don't feel anyone has pulled away and can be considered the front runner at this point in time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its possible. My view is that the Capitals will end up with the best record in the league and the Jackets will settle a bit. Either Holtby or Dubnyk will get the Vezina. I would then figure Dubnyk wins regardless of the numbers as Holtby getting voted that award two seasons in a row would say something about him that most voters wont be ready to say

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Does anyone have a link to the high danger scoring chance stats?. I remember being surprised by the Minnesota numbers. It would sure help explain why Dubnyk has such a high save percentage - if his saves are easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad