Can Bobrovsky challenge Price for Vezina?

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
So you're using an eight game sample size from three years ago to judge Dubnyk, who has been great for us? Dubnyk isn't a system goalie. In fact Dubnyk has bailed us out in many games this season when the team looked like garbage.

Quite the hot streak he's having when he played 39 games for on his first season with the Wild and had a GAA of 1.78 with a + .930 sv%. Last season the whole Wild sucked for a good while before Yeo was sacked, but Dubnyk wasn't a problem. This season he has already played over 20 games with great results, and is leading in shutouts, sv% and GAA right now. Price is the first in wins, though.

Vezina isn't a career trophy, it should be given to the best goalie of the season. Who cares if Dubnyk sucked with another team years ago? He has played well for the Wild.
------------------

As for the thread topic though, I'd say the Vezina race has a clear top 4 at the moment in Rask, Dubnyk, Price and Bobrovski. I'd say he definitely has a shot, but is still 4th in my book.

You glance over the season that makes up the majority of his Wild tenure where he had a .918 SV%, team turmoil or not (we've seen what the Habs can be without Price). FWIW, I think people acting like Price has the Vezina in the bag are nuts, even if he is the "best", the best goalie in the league in overall ability/pedigree isn't always the best for a 60 game season, in fact it's pretty rare. Lundqvist was the best overall for a fair chunk of seasons and won 1 Vezina. Still, the fact that the only season Dubnyuk started over 60 games he had a .918 (last year), I'm not going to get carried away by his hot start just yet. He's good. We'll see. If Price has another .934 season with a starters workload like he did in his last healthy season, would probably be tough to beat but very possible. Lots of variables with the Vezina.

If the bet is Price vs the field, I take the field quite easily to the Hab fans dismissing the concept of any of those goalies winning.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
There are a bunch of goalies who can win it so far this year..There's been some really good goaltending so far.

Having said that, win-loss record seems to be of importance as Holtby won it last year even though he didn't have the best stats.

gerbba

Nov 16, 2016
Price probably gets hurt again, so somebody else wins the Vezina. Will it be Dubnyk, Rask or Bob, or even somebody else? Time will tell.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'd say Dubnyk has the lead for the Vezina right now. Price for the Hart though if that makes sense to anyone else. :laugh:

I don't think price sniffs the hart this year tbh. Habs have too good of a team. Goalie can't win the hart when you have a top 5 offense.

I'm not sure hes a lock for the vezina either.

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
Dubnyk leads in wins, save percentage and shutouts.

This is not a "career trophy". It's about who is having the best season.

Of course, one shouldn't underestimate the power of the Canadian media, especially in Montreal or Toronto.

After all, Weber has had better seasons and been denied the Norris trophy, but he goes to Montreal and suddenly OMG he's a LOCK for the Norris! :laugh:

Such is the loooong history of the NHL.

Dubnyk is W12 L 9, Price is W16 L 4.. and Dubnyk leads in wins??

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If the trophy we awarded today, I'd have a hard time not giving it to dd. Does prices w/l record offset dubnyks leads in gaa/sv%/so?

That said, long season. Let's see where it shakes out. Bobo is definitely in the running.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
So you're using an eight game sample size from three years ago to judge Dubnyk, who has been great for us? Dubnyk isn't a system goalie. In fact Dubnyk has bailed us out in many games this season when the team looked like garbage.

Quite the hot streak he's having when he played 39 games for on his first season with the Wild and had a GAA of 1.78 with a + .930 sv%. Last season the whole Wild sucked for a good while before Yeo was sacked, but Dubnyk wasn't a problem. This season he has already played over 20 games with great results, and is leading in shutouts, sv% and GAA right now. Price is the first in wins, though.

Vezina isn't a career trophy, it should be given to the best goalie of the season. Who cares if Dubnyk sucked with another team years ago? He has played well for the Wild.
------------------

As for the thread topic though, I'd say the Vezina race has a clear top 4 at the moment in Rask, Dubnyk, Price and Bobrovski. I'd say he definitely has a shot, but is still 4th in my book.

And he does that while saying we should watch Price and we would know. :help::D

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If the trophy we awarded today, I'd have a hard time not giving it to dd. Does prices w/l record offset dubnyks leads in gaa/sv%/so?

That said, long season. Let's see where it shakes out. Bobo is definitely in the running.

Bishop led in many categories last year and Holtby still won the Vezina. I could see Price getting the same treatment.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
In the first half of the 2014-15 season Rinne was outperforming Price but eventually slowed down and Price won multiple awards. It's not about how you start but how you finish. I doubt Bob can keep up this pace.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

The year Jose Theodore won the Vezina and Hart, he was tied for both awards. It was very possible for Roy to win the Vezina, and Theodore the Hart. And Roy wasn't even a nominee for the Hart. Not saying it's likely, but it is possible.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Of course, one shouldn't underestimate the power of the Canadian media, especially in Montreal or Toronto.

After all, Weber has had better seasons and been denied the Norris trophy, but he goes to Montreal and suddenly OMG he's a LOCK for the Norris! :laugh:

I do not think dubnyk leads in wins. I believe he's something like 11-6-x.

Also, I never heard any hockey person say weber is a lock for the Norris.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I do not think dubnyk leads in wins. I believe he's something like 11-6-x.

Also, I never heard any hockey person say weber is a lock for the Norris.

Yeah, Dubs has 12 wins and Price has 16. I don't put much stock in wins though, it's more of a team stat than any other.

If you're awarding it based on stats, for sure Dubnyk wins. I've said before that Price is so much more than a goalie though which makes him much more better as a goaltender. I haven't watched Dubs much this season so I can't really say who I think is flat-out better, I just know what Price brings to the team and it's hard for me to imagine another goalie giving significantly more right now.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't think people understand the reasons Bob has been inconsistent. He always puts up these numbers when A. He doesn't have the worst defense in the league and B. He isn't coming back from an injury which after he won his first happened alot. He was bulking up instead of working on mobility and this year dropped 15 pounds and is in his best shape of his career. He was great in the WC and has been great this season. He will once every 2 or 3 games let it the softest goals ever seen but they just mentioned in the game against the islanders some crazy stat about since a certain point last year and this year a really high % of his starts are 2 goals or less and the cbj can actually score now.

That being said I don't expect any fan outside of Columbus to agree because Price is a Canadian hero in there national sport and even if Bob had better numbers in every major catagory we would be told to actually watch Price and that his positioning and rebound control are better so **** stats even though the thing Bob is great at is those 2 things. If he or multiple important players dont hurt for extended periods then he IMO is the current favorite. It's not a career award or who overall is better it's about who has the best season there.

After that being said what do I know I once lost a HR derby in high school even though I hit the most home runs in every round so stats sometimes just get told to **** off.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yes, yes he has.

There is so much more than "stats" to the game... Watching Price would actually may be help you... I remember how trash Dubnyk was on Hamilton. God forbid.

The way Price play the puck is even better than Brodeur. Dude make better pass than most bottom pairing day. His d-zone exit are out of this world.

Price has a whole has more talent in his left leg than Dubnyuk, c'mon.

Dubnyk is a system goalie, always had trash stats everywhere except in Minnesota on a 35 games season, last year he was a middle of the pack goalie. He is on a hot streak. Wilds always been defensive and not scoring goals... System goalie

Im here to help ya

TIL Price has more talent in his left leg then the best goalie in the NHL 30 games into the season.. Glad you helped define the term homerism to me though ;)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yes, yes he has.

There is so much more than "stats" to the game... Watching Price would actually may be help you... I remember how trash Dubnyk was on Hamilton. God forbid.

The way Price play the puck is even better than Brodeur. Dude make better pass than most bottom pairing day. His d-zone exit are out of this world.

Price has a whole has more talent in his left leg than Dubnyuk, c'mon.

Dubnyk is a system goalie, always had trash stats everywhere except in Minnesota on a 35 games season, last year he was a middle of the pack goalie. He is on a hot streak. Wilds always been defensive and not scoring goals... System goalie

Im here to help ya
Not for goalies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Sure he can, we're only a third into the season so there are lots of people who can win it.

Will he though? I doubt it.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Yes, as things currently stand, Bobrovski has to be in the running, no doubt about it. But a lot of the Season to go yet.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Any goalie with .930 save is in the running. I don't think price and dubnyk will maintain .940+

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Will win the Vezna is a bit of an exaggeration considering he isn't even leading the Vezna race at the moment. Possibly the Hart is probably also a stretch considering the season Crosby and McDavid are having

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I don't see anyone beating Price barring a complete collapse.

The Canadiens owe a large part of their success to Price. Not many goalies in his position would be able to keep the Canadiens above .500, never mind 1st in the east.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Dubnyk is W12 L 9, Price is W16 L 4.. and Dubnyk leads in wins??

Now ,That's what i call a BURN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad