Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
Igor's new mask looks similar to Lundqvist with the crowns and spikyness. I like the change from red to white. It looks pretty NY-generic, none of the goalies have any unique designs. One of Lundy's best masks was the Yankees pinstripes one imo. Now his masks have just gotten worse.

I like Georgie's babushka dolls, would have been different to see it on the top as lady liberty, instead of on the side.

lemonybergamot

Jun 2, 2018
New York City
Very, very good to read Kravtsov's shown up, and competing hard, taking hits, and throwing them too. Lias should be at camp too, but he appears done with the Rangers.

Miller looking good is exciting too. I read some people say he's like a more mobile Staal (back in his youth). That's pretty good to me, but if Miller develops any type of a mean streak like Trouba, that'd be frickin awesome.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We have the better goalie, the better 1C, and the best player on either team in Bread. I agree. Carolina’s blueline is massively overrated too. Typical Hf boner.

Sure, but anything can happen in a 5 game series.

I'd give us 60-40 odds.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Oh and I went back and watched all the goals we scored this year. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen them ad I noticed a few things.

1. the team scored more filthy goals this season alone than in the 10+ years I’ve been watching combined
2. Panarin and zibanejad are f***ing broken cheat codes, especially as we got towards the end of the year
3. I can’t believe I’m saying this but my opinion on Strome is higher. I saw him make so many beautiful passes. He may be a disaster in his own zone and make boneheaded plays but the guy is super skilled, and doesn’t get enough credit for his playmaking ability, ESPECIALLY on the power play.
4. I think a case could be made that Deangelo is the most dynamic defenseman in the league

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
3. I can’t believe I’m saying this but my opinion on Strome is higher. I saw him make so many beautiful passes. He may be a disaster in his own zone and make boneheaded plays but the guy is super skilled, and doesn’t get enough credit for his playmaking ability, ESPECIALLY on the power play.
You're getting cancelled.

Reactions: Kovalev27 and Bozle

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’ve always been a Koho/Reebok/CCM guy myself but have to say these pads are sharp and the helmet is fire.
Hank had some beautiful Bauers a few seasons ago. Are you speaking about the design or about the feel? I haven’t put on goalie pads so I don't know the differences among brands. Frankly, it’s been a while since I went stick shopping, but I absolutely loved my Easton Ultra Lite with a Jagr or Shanahan curve back in the day.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hank has had some pretty great ones. Loved Roy’s mask with the Avs though. That thing was gorgeous.

Couldn't remember the detail of the Roy mask without looking it up; definitely a beauty.

One of my favourite masks from the 90s was Cujo's.

I think I do tend to lean towards less generic designs, but Hank's last Lady Liberty mask was damn near perfect!

Edit - just did a quick search of all of Hank's masks, and I think they were all a lot better than this new Shesty mask; it just doesn't do it for me.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Couldn't remember the detail of the Roy mask without looking it up; definitely a beauty.

One of my favourite masks from the 90s was Cujo's.

I think I do tend to lean towards less generic designs, but Hank's last Lady Liberty mask was damn near perfect!

Edit - just did a quick search of all of Hank's masks, and I think they were all a lot better than this new Shesty mask; it just doesn't do it for me.
Agreed. Forgot about the Cujo mask! Definitely a beauty!

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
So many great goalie masks from over the years. I dont think Cujo ever had an uncool mask. Personal favorites though were Roman Turek's "Eddie" mask from Iron Maiden and Brian Elliott had Casey Jones from TMNT.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
And let’s not forget Lalime’s Marvin the Martian mask!

upload_2020-7-24_21-38-14.jpeg

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Beezer's in Florida was the GOAT. Cujo's was dynamite as well.
I really liked Kidd’s mask. Too bad his goaltending was generally not up to par. When they had Shtalenkov, Kidd and Vernon at the same time was a joke. I don’t think they got the memo that combining three backups does not equate to having a starter. :laugh:

upload_2020-7-24_21-41-53.jpeg

Reactions: McSauer

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is one of his strengths though. His transition game and forward and backward straight ahead skating are NHL level.
If he can clog the neutral zone and be competent in his own end, throwing the occasional big hit and generally being a disruptive force, I’m completely thrilled. I don’t care if he’s a total zero offensively.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Very, very good to read Kravtsov's shown up, and competing hard, taking hits, and throwing them too. Lias should be at camp too, but he appears done with the Rangers.

Miller looking good is exciting too. I read some people say he's like a more mobile Staal (back in his youth). That's pretty good to me, but if Miller develops any type of a mean streak like Trouba, that'd be frickin awesome.
I was thinking it would be kind of neat if Miller and Staal rotated handling the 3LD spot next season. Might be nice synchronicity.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
These playoffs are gonna be so weird. Just read they are gonna have crowd noise piped in. The NHL actually contacted season ticket holders to send in tapes of them cheering, chanting and booing. EA Sports will provide the rest. LOL! It will play not only for the TV audience, but also played inside the arenas. They will have LED big screens and banners behind the benches to block the empty seats. And they will have 32 cameras, 12 more than usual.

The broadcast of these playoffs could be a horror show, if they switch camera angles frequently during play. They better do this right.

NHL games to have 5-second delay, EA cheering

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Hank had some beautiful Bauers a few seasons ago. Are you speaking about the design or about the feel? I haven’t put on goalie pads so I don't know the differences among brands. Frankly, it’s been a while since I went stick shopping, but I absolutely loved my Easton Ultra Lite with a Jagr or Shanahan curve back in the day.
My hockey career peak corresponded to my time playing with a Z-Bubble with a Shanny Z-Carbon(?) blade. That long square toe suited my game perfectly.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Looks like the NHL has done a good job in making sure these playoffs will be successful. I originally thought there is no way these playoffs would work with a pandemic raging. But after reading this article about how the NHL approached this and what they have in place, I have done a complete 180 and now believe we will see a Stanley Cup Final. And being this is taking place in Canada, where the virus has been well contained, is likely huge in the success of this postseason.

NHL hub cities of Edmonton, Toronto ready for Stanley Cup Qualifiers

So now I feel more comfortable and assured when I say,... LGR!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad