Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m just saying guys if he’s at camp and clearly better than Hajek and maybe Staal or Smith isn’t here anymore it’s going to be very difficult to keep him off the varsity.

Some guys do make the jump From college to the nhl successfully So we shall see

he is too important to the future to promote him based on being 'less crappy' then the contracts you are waiting to expire cause you can't get rid of them yet. if he's ready and forces his way into the picture, great. but if he needs time in hartford he should get it even if our left side is bad.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
he is too important to the future to promote him based on being 'less crappy' then the contracts you are waiting to expire cause you can't get rid of them yet. if he's ready and forces his way into the picture, great. but if he needs time in hartford he should get it even if our left side is bad.

i didn’t say less crappy lol

I am saying deserving of a spot ahead of others. And imo he will prove that.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i didn’t say less crappy lol

I am saying deserving of a spot ahead of others. And imo he will prove that.

but my point is that deserving a spot ahead of others because those guys suck isn't the same as being ready for the nhl. its not like you have him beating out allstars here

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I don’t think he’s all star level so no I don’t expect him to beat out all stars.

I said it’s going to be very tough to hold him back if his competition is those guys and that’s how it works at the end of the day. If he’s better, and I think he will be, he’ll make the team.

deserving a spot because you’re the best top 6 guy in the organization avail means you deserve the spot

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If Deangelo has his swagger carry over to playoff hockey and he is playing up beat and well early I think we could see Deangelo-Trouba out there quite a bit, or even go with Deangelo-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba, where the Deangelo-Fox pairing takes a majority of offensive zone starts and Lindgren-Trouba is used to match up against their top guys
Unless there is an injury, I think the chances of Trouba-DeAngelo on the ice together are close to nil. On the other hand, I think your idea of ADA-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba definitely could happen, at least intermittently. Quinn paired up Tony and Fox several times when the Rangers needed a goal or when they had an offensive zone face off late in a period. Trouba-Lindgren makes a lot of sense if they are protecting a lead late. I do however think these are exceptions rather than the norm. You can’t shorten your bench too much in a 5 games in 8 days series.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If your intention is to be a team that can win it all next year, Miller should spend the season in the A unless he forces the issue. Theres nothing wrong with sheltering him on a 3rd pair at the NHL level, but he has to earn that to begin with and by that I mean playing 15-17 minutes on most nights, not 8-12 (if thats the case, let him get his minutes in the A.)

OTOH, if you intention is to be a team that can win it all next year, you can't shoe horn #18 into the lineup either. I'm 100% against pushing Miller into the lineup, but I'm also 100% confident that he would outperform Staal right now, let alone next season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If your intention is to be a team that can win it all next year, Miller should spend the season in the A unless he forces the issue. Theres nothing wrong with sheltering him on a 3rd pair at the NHL level, but he has to earn that to begin with and by that I mean playing 15-17 minutes on most nights, not 8-12 (if thats the case, let him get his minutes in the A.)

OTOH, if you intention is to be a team that can win it all next year, you can't shoe horn #18 into the lineup either. I'm 100% against pushing Miller into the lineup, but I'm also 100% confident that he would outperform Staal right now, let alone next season.
Will the AHL be a thing next year, though?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Then he goes and plays overseas.

Switzerland, Sweden and Russia have solid pro leagues.
Yeah, I'm totally opposed to him in the NHL next season. I think the expectations are for him are slowly creeping into the realm of ridiculous in some cases. I saw someone on Twitter call him the 3rd or 4th best d-man in camp, I guess suggesting that he could be better than both Lindgren and Trouba right now. I'm glad that he's looked good in a few video clips from post-quarantine camp, but this is still a defenseman that didn't thrive in college hockey or the World Juniors this year. Let him get there slowly.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
but my point is that deserving a spot ahead of others because those guys suck isn't the same as being ready for the nhl. its not like you have him beating out allstars here
It might turn out hes also ready. Or he may be ready for a cup of coffee or two next season. Different matchups, different minutes. We'll see

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Miller needs to go where hes playing top 4 minutes while continuing to learn his position and improve his own zone coverage.I highly doubt that will be with the big club anytime soon.Sheltered 3rd pairing minutes would be the worst thing for his development

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
NBCSN is doing an Eastern Conference preview. They just talked about Rangers-Carolina and both Brian Burke and Keith Jones think the Rangers will win.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad, though.
You don't know if it's a good sign for their chances of winning that Burke and Jones like the Rangers, or you don't know if it's good if the Rangers win?

Layers.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way anyone worrying about Iggy having a rougher start today. Columbus scrimmage ended 11-5 today lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad