Pre-Game Talk: Camp Thread

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Eww hank just got walked by Vinny Lettieri on a penalty shot.

remember when it was impossible to score on a breakaway against hank?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think Hall will be playing elsewhere regardless, unless he decides to take a 1 or 2 year deal with the hopes of cashing in later.

I could see Strome signing a 1 year deal for less than 5. He's in a good situation and his value will likely continue to go up. A 1 year deal protects him from being exposed in the expansion draft (Seattle can negotiate with him, but it's entirely up to him whether or not he signs with them). We'll have a lot more cap space the following offseason, even with the flat cap, and he could potentially get a bigger bump then.

If not a 1 year deal, then a 2 year deal. I really don't think Gorton will offer him more than that.

Same. Thinking the Rangers would prefer a 2-year contract and I see very little resistance from Strome if this is a price range.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Strome is willing to sign for under 5 mil he’ll be here another year or two for sure

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Well If Arizona is going to offer $7 million for Taylor Hall, I imagine Hall is going to be playing elsewhere.
Lol Taylor Hall , former league MVP, is no 7 million player, Covid or not. If he were on Toronto the rumor would be 55 mil a season and Hall's team would still be icing them out. Teams will still dish out the dough for star players because if they don't, someone else will.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
How much do you think he's looking for?
idk, I'm not Ryan Strome. I have no clue what the guy wants

I was going to write "What he might want to get paid considering the points he put up with us" but I didn't think anyone would harp on it considering it's a pretty common, reasonable view on Strome. He may want to get paid like a guy who was well on his way to a 60+ point season. I wouldn't blame him. I also wouldn't want to be the one to give it to him.

My two questions are "Is he a 60 point guy going forward" and "Among guys in that range, how good is his overall game?"

My answers
I don't get the feeling he is
and
Not very good at all.

So if he wants to get paid like a 60 pt player then I'd say no, even if it didn't cost us Buch. Add in Buch and it's an easy pass for me.

Also remember the premise I responded to was that we have to lose Buch to keep him

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

everything I’ve seen in videos from this camp tells me he might be one of our best Dmen right now. He’s looked so calm I’ve been so impressed wirh him.

You knew the size skating and strength was there but man he looks good

Ok the fact that this is immediately after I posted my Strome comment doesn't prove anything about Strome but you gotta admit it's pretty hilarious timing.

K'andre looked fantastic there too

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

everything I’ve seen in videos from this camp tells me he might be one of our best Dmen right now. He’s looked so calm I’ve been so impressed wirh him.

You knew the size skating and strength was there but man he looks good

This is one of his strengths though. His transition game and forward and backward straight ahead skating are NHL level.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gauthier seals the Empty netter 4-1 blue team

White team got worked not a good day for them at all

Igor had a shaky start and then was lights out from sounds like the 2nd minute of the second period onwards. It’s good to see him battle thru and not get completely rattled If things don’t go your way to start. (see Alex Georgiev)

Reactions: McSauer

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say it’s going to be very difficult come December to keep K Miller off the varsity when all you have ahead of him outside of lindgren is Smith Staal and HAJek. One of which may not even be here next year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've said it for a while--get K'Andre out of school, where he didn't want to be, and to the pro ranks, coach him up, and he's going to be way ahead of what a lot of people seem to expect from him.

Not saying this because of the scrimmages. I've been saying it for close to a year. That he's playing well in the scrimmages, to me, isn't surprising though.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves with miller and realize he likely still needs time in the AHL last year. but this camp experience and how he seemed to seamlessly fit in is nothing but great news. after not the greatest year for him and wisconsin, it is so much more of a positive way to end his year than if things had just ended in april.

Reactions: Thirty One and bl02

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you've been watching Miller for the last few years it's been apparent that one of his best skills is his ability to separate players from the puck on the rush and in the corners. He hasn't even filled out yet and he's already excellent at generating leverage against guys while moving. Good to see he's able to implement it against men even if it's just a small sample in camp.

With Miller the biggest obstacle is going to be his in-zone coverage. He's often been a step or two behind the play as he moves up the rungs of competition. Some of that is just inexperience and some of it is the fact that he's been overly reliant on a really large wingspan for a number of years.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Leetch3

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves with miller and realize he likely still needs time in the AHL last year. but this camp experience and how he seemed to seamlessly fit in is nothing but great news. after not the greatest year for him and wisconsin, it is so much more of a positive way to end his year than if things had just ended in april.
High on K'Andre as anyone else but let's not rush him please. It is gonna be challenging figuring things out if there is no AHL season. This camp has been nothing but super positive for K'Andre and also Kravtsov (hopefully).

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m just saying guys if he’s at camp and clearly better than Hajek and maybe Staal or Smith isn’t here anymore it’s going to be very difficult to keep him off the varsity.

Some guys do make the jump From college to the nhl successfully So we shall see

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad