Speculation: cammalleri to Vancouver per fan 960

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The Jet's 1st is likely a mid 1st, and Cammy may get that 1st from them but not Morrissey. We NEED a stud dman prospect and Morrissey is just that. Yeah it would suck to lose Backlund, but he IS getting misused here. And by next season Backlund will likely be replaceable on our roster especially if Stajan is resigned.

Players shouldn't be traded because the coach misuses them, though. I think the Savard situation made that clear. Not that Backlund is Savard, obviously, but same kind of deal; coaches come and go, good players are hard to find.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Players shouldn't be traded because the coach misuses them, though. I think the Savard situation made that clear. Not that Backlund is Savard, obviously, but same kind of deal; coaches come and go, good players are hard to find.

I agree with you, but what's the point in keeping a player if he is going to be misused?

Let's stick with the Jets for example, we send them just Cammy for their 1st and say someone like Brenden Kichton. Kichton is a solid prospect, but may become a #5 guy IF things go according to plan with him hitting his ceiling.

Next season I think Monahan is already our #1, if we resign Stajan, then we have guys like Colborne, Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, Arnold, Street, all knocking at the door for our 3rd and 4th spot. Backlund's play in his career to this point, projects him to be a #3C or a 2nd line tweener. We already have plenty of other prospects that project the same. Morrissey is a heck of a dman prospect and the Jets have the depth on the blueline to move him. Getting Morrissey and a 1st would be tremendous for our team going towards our rebuild.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Backlund a lot, but that would be tempting. Honestly, if Cammalleri (50% salary) could get Morrissey straight up, I see no reason to ask for a 1st rounder as well - then there's no need to sacrifice Backlund.

If the Jets would do Morrissey for Cammy straight up, I take that and run. But I doubt they trade a prospect like him for what would likely be a potential rental. That's why I suggested including Backlund.

Even though my proposal seems steep, it is quality I am after.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Only reason to keep Backlund imo is if Stajan can't be resigned. I mean its hard to say for sure, but I am pretty sure Knight could do the job of a defensive center just as well.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't think Backlund is being misused at all. He has proven to be a good defensive centerman and that is how is being used.

Having him playing 4th line minutes is misusing him. I won't argue that he should necessarily be in the top 6, but he should be getting more ice time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Having him playing 4th line minutes is misusing him. I won't argue that he should necessarily be in the top 6, but he should be getting more ice time.

In his last 7 games he hasn't seen less than 10 minutes and averages 12 minutes so I would say he is being used properly.

He has only had 3 games with less than 10 minutes its not like he has been stuck on the 4th line all year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
In his last 7 games he hasn't seen less than 10 minutes and averages 12 minutes so I would say he is being used properly.

He has only had 3 games with less than 10 minutes its not like he has been stuck on the 4th line all year.

True. I don't think he should ever drop below 10 min ES TOI, though. Ideally given his play (aside from a couple of stinker games) he should be in the 15-18 minute range for total TOI, I think, with a healthy mix of SH and PP time in there. He doesn't have to be on the top PP unit, but I think he should be more of a regular on the second unit.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
True. I don't think he should ever drop below 10 min ES TOI, though. Ideally given his play (aside from a couple of stinker games) he should be in the 15-18 minute range for total TOI, I think, with a healthy mix of SH and PP time in there. He doesn't have to be on the top PP unit, but I think he should be more of a regular on the second unit.

I see him as a good #3 centerman. For me he would play around 12 minutes at 5v5 and a couple more on the pk. I'm not going to lie I have lost all faith in Backlund ever developing an offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad