Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot Signed To 3-Year Extension (AAV: $4.17M, Limited NMC)

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
He actually signed that in the summer with around 124 games to his name. Being the Lundqvist of the KHL got him around 2.75 mil in his first deal. Talbot got about what he is worth. It is what it is, as they say.

Ramo signed a one year deal last summer right before he was set to hit UFA. Similar leverage as Talbot had in these negotiations.

Completely forgot about this years deal.

oilz89*

Don't think he's proven as a consistent starter so risky move. Cams default position is down in butterfly upon release of any shot which is concerning. He's not a stand up goalie and snipers are gonna pick the corners on him easily.

He's a good backup that may work as a starter but inconsistent through half a season is not proven at all.

Don't think there are many stand up goalies anymore. The best was Roman Cechmanek (sp.?) :sarcasm:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Without Klefbom I'm not joking in saying I think Philly has the better d-corps. Two rookies are effectively our no.2 and no.3 d-men right now and del Zotto probably is better than Schultz.

oilz89*

I never said they were better. All I said was I don't think Price will be that good with our defense simply because he doesn't have a history of doing exceptionally well behind average D. When the Habs D were just average, he was pretty average himself. Not Oilers bad but nothing to gloat about.

But hey have a laugh...just like I am at your spelling;)

Lol I type too fast :laugh::sarcasm:

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I'm honestly not worried about this not working out. Even if we signed him for 8 years, I really think he's going to work out. When I watch him closely, I see a goalie who is very, VERY good at a technical level. I would say it's close to elite, actually. He did need to change how he played up against the post, as he left bigger holes than a lot of goalies, but from what I can tell I think he's worked on it, and other than that I don't see many other problems. I couldn't say the same for other goalies of the past while. Even Dubie has his issues, technically speaking, when he was here that he's clearly worked on since he's been traded. Our last goalie coach was a disaster; if anything, he made guys like Dubie worse. That seems to be fixed.

The biggest issue which could affect him the most really has nothing to do with him -- it would be our crappy D. The talent level is very low, for the most part. They have too much trouble efficiently moving the puck up the ice -- Calgary was keeping us hemmed in our zone at times last night with just ONE forechecker -- and there is very little offensive ability. Both affect Cam because if the puck isn't being moved up well, and when the D aren't good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone (which they are terrible at), it means more time in the D-zone, which equals more shots, chances and goals against. Then there's also foot-speed issues. A guy like Gryba should never be pinching, because it would take him a half-century to get back in the D-zone. Same goes for Fayne, and Davidson has only average foot speed. So there is pretty much half our D who really shouldn't ever be pinching. We really only have one Dman who can be used in all situations and still look good, and that is Klefbom. Our D just isn't anywhere good enough right now; it needs big improvements, and now that this signing is done, Chia needs to put near all of his focus on upgrading it.

TL;DR: Talbot is near elite technically, so things should work out (technically speaking :naughty:). But D needs improvements for him to truly shine.

Don't agree, technically near elite goalies can read the shot as it leaves the shooters stick to either stand up to shooter or drop down in butterfly. Look at every single shot talbot reacts to and he drops down. It's a major flaw...

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Don't agree, technically near elite goalies can read the shot as it leaves the shooters stick to either stand up to shooter or drop down in butterfly. Look at every single shot talbot reacts to and he drops down. It's a major flaw...

I'll have to watch for that. I honestly haven't really notice him do that more than most goalies that do incredibly well in this league. I'm pretty sure I've noticed Nilsson doing this more egregiously than Talbot, but I'll watch for it specifically the next few games and see if that's something I've missed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
To be honest I don't think we had a ton of options either.

I think Dallas would be willing to give us Lehtonen as a cap dump but his numbers are worse than Talbot's and he has a 6 mill per cap hit for 2 more years.

Beyond that ... it'd be Ramo, Cam Ward, etc. and I think Talbot is better than those guys at this stage.

Precisely. Slim pickings on the goalie market.
They used a lot of assets to get Talbot and he has performed well outside of one rough stretch, did some people not expect him to get extended soon? The money is a bit high but who cares? It's about $750K too high at most, not exactly a cap crippler.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Precisely. Slim pickings on the goalie market.
They used a lot of assets to get Talbot and he has performed well outside of one rough stretch, did some people not expect him to get extended soon? The money is a bit high but who cares? It's about $750K too high at most, not exactly a cap crippler.

Ben Bishop maaaaay be available but there's so much uncertainty with Tampa that who knows. But that's the only guy I could see being available who would've been better. He also would cost $6 mill instead of $4 mill though and likely his numbers would take a hit here.

Other options would be

Ramo - Talbot has better numbers playing behind worse D
Hiller - Ditto as above
Ward - Ditto as above
Lehtonen - $6 mill cap dump for a worse save percentage

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
For a team paying Ference and Nikitin a combined 8m this year, this contract is way down the list of deals to criticize.

Fair. I expect the Oilers to shed salary this off season. Opportunity to lose Nikitin, Schultz, Ference (buy out), Purcell and not add anything. The only add should be a trade for a D like Shattenkirk with Ebs or RNH being moved along.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I like the deal, but reading about it on the mains is torture. Hard to see unbiased opinion when every page is filled with the known haters, and Bruins fans to crap on every Chiarelli deal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I like the deal, but reading about it on the mains is torture. Hard to see unbiased opinion when every page is filled with the known haters, and Bruins fans to crap on every Chiarelli deal.

Rule #1 in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.... Do not read the HF main boards for any Oiler related topics.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Don't think there are many stand up goalies anymore. The best was Roman Cechmanek (sp.?) :sarcasm:

The elite goalies are hybrid and can react when they get a good look at the shot and stick release. It's an art that they develop. If the shot is partially screened then automatic butterfly is the default position. It's clear talbot has not developed this skill at all. It's a common problem and big goalies can make up for it as they cover a good part of the upper net anyhow. Nillson is a good example as his good glove makes up for it, talbot has a good glove too so these guys are going to do well but they will never be elite. Average goalie is what these guys will be, above average with good defence.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
For all the people saying how easy it is to get a goalie, let me know when the last time the Oilers had that number 1 guy. Clearly it's not that easy, and it's hard to say if Talbot is even that guy though.

Really hope he is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The elite goalies are hybrid and can react when they get a good look at the shot and stick release. It's an art that they develop. If the shot is partially screened then automatic butterfly is the default position. It's clear talbot has not developed this skill at all. It's a common problem and big goalies can make up for it as they cover a good part of the upper net anyhow. Nillson is a good example as his good glove makes up for it, talbot has a good glove too so these guys are going to do well but they will never be elite. Average goalie is what these guys will be, above average with good defence.

Even elite goalies over commit to the butterfly, its just the nature of the position because you can't always read the shot and your chances of making the save are much better if you cover the lower net and only have to react if its up high.

Anyways as for Talbot vs. Nilsson. Talbots technical skills in terms of his movement are so much better than Nilsson, its actually night and day. Nilsson's movement is much more clunky and uncontrolled and it gets him horribly out of position far too often. I don't know what was up with Cam over that one stretch, but he's been lights out since then aside from the LA game. I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if LB is his back-up next year, as he too is a much better technically skilled goalie than Nilsson.

I was hoping for a bit under 4 mil over 3 years, but I'm sure as hell not gonna complain about this deal. Talbot is honestly over the last 15 games the only reason we aren't sitting in 30th in the NHL.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Scary signing, I dont have much confidence in Talbot.. hope he proves me wrong. Seems like a lot of money for a guy who is good one day and awful the next.

I wonder if this will mess with Nilsson at all

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
The $12.5 million dollar save...

ropiwCf.gif

Just lucky it didn't go in off Nurse...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Too much money but oh well... wanted both goalies signed for under 6M.. will have to go with a 1M backup now.. 4.1 is legit starter money..

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Just lucky it didn't go in off Nurse...

To further this, interesting thought:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 6h6 hours ago
Convo about Talbot's extension would be a lot different w/o 7 "own goals" #Oilers had on him this year. SV% would be .920 if only 4 went in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad