Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot Signed To 3-Year Extension (AAV: $4.17M, Limited NMC)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
GAA vs save %

took me awhile to realize the huge difference in the two

their save % is almost the same through 26 games

Scrivens sv% through first 26 games as an Oiler: .907
Talbots sv% through first 26 games as an Oiler: .914

Unless my math is wrong, you're wrong there too.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Seems a little rushed.. I like Talbot and hope he continues his play but not sure on this.

If the Oilers waited to the end of the season to be 100% sure with a .940 save, people would likely be complaining about Talbot's new 6M contract, and it may have not been with the Oilers.

Could someone please name an available comparable goalie that we could have signed cheaper, and not traded more prospects for.

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It seems like an ok contract, but now the Oilers have 100% committed to having Talbot as the number 1. Hopefully he is one. He seems pretty good so far, but, even Scrivens played stretches of great hockey. You'd think the Oilers were due to have one of these project players turn out, what with so MANY of them failing spectacularly over the years. Anyway, I think Talbot could be the guy to break that streak of ineptitude.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It seems like an ok contract, but now the Oilers have 100% committed to having Talbot as the number 1. Hopefully he is one. He seems pretty good so far, but, even Scrivens played stretches of great hockey. You'd think the Oilers were due to have one of these project players turn out, what with so MANY of them failing spectacularly over the years. Anyway, I think Talbot could be the guy to break that streak of ineptitude.

Yes, but the difference is Scrivens was more bad than good during his time in EDM. I don't think he was ever consistent enough to make people believe he could be a true #1. He was always either giving up a soft goal or venturing outside his net and handing a goal to the opposition.

I do feel that this is a fairly big risk and there will no doubt be times where he isn't playing well and some fans will say the signing was a terrible idea etc. But to me he seems like the kind of person who can handle it and bounce back often. Plus what he plays great in the second half? He probably would have demanded more money. So I guess PC took the risk and decided to offer him a fair deal which in the end could be a steal.

All I can say is, he can't possibly be worse than Scrivens was. :laugh:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Are we all so used to **** goaltending that we are gonna hate on an average deal?

Talbot is the best tender since Roloson. Could be better. Maybe best since Cujo (I don't think Salo was as good as I remember him as a kid).

He is posting okay numbers with this putrid D. With no Klefbom since he took the reigns back. There are nights were Sekera is the only guy who looks like he belongs.

A hair over 4 million isn't bad. At all.
Talbot is a starter. A number one. Only reason he didn't take over New York in between seasons is because their other goal is arguably the best in the league. Corey Crawford makes 6. He's great, but isn't a top 5 starter. Maybe top 10. Still making 2 million more than Talbot.

I thought it was steep at first. Then I remembered who else the team has utilised in recent years. We as fans were impressed with Richard ****ing Bachman

...just to add to this post, Tambellini threw $15 million over 4 years at a 36 year old Khabibulin. Talbot has no where near the high mileage NH had (or injury woes) when Khabibulin signed. Seeing the Oilers are paying Talbot only $420 thousand more per season for three years, I'm okay with this. I think Talbot has the skill set to become a terrific starting goalie in this league. Now that his future has been secured for the next three years, he can put his focus on stopping pucks. He's going to get better and in time, this contract will be a bargain.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
...just to add to this post, Tambellini threw $15 million over 4 years at a 36 year old Khabibulin. Talbot has no where near the high mileage NH had (or injury woes) when Khabibulin signed. Seeing the Oilers are paying Talbot only $420 thousand more per season for three years, I'm okay with this. I think Talbot has the skill set to become a terrific starting goalie in this league. Now that his future has been secured for the next three years, he can put his focus on stopping pucks. He's going to get better and in time, this contract will be a bargain.

Also remember that this contract was signed when the salary cap was around 80% of what it is now.

Oiler66666

May 7, 2012
Alberta
Wow

Think this is the first time I've posted (and that's rare in itself) before even reading the thread:

Mixed emotions here. Has shown he can be a starter but hasn't done it consistently and that is a ton of money if he ends up just being a backup. Scrivens looked good the first year (wow... part 2... haven't payed attention but 3.77 gaa, .882sv with Canadiens...what the hell happened to him). Cautiously happy but where does this leave Brossoit? Looking at title...nice to see its at least limited NMC.:amazed:

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
maybe but what are the other options? Hiller? LB? Nilsson? or spending a 1st+ for a Bishop?

Talbot gained the trust of players and management. Considering the D in front of him and his play of late he is easily worth over 3M..
3M is RFA money these days... see Martin Jones.

These are all UFA years he would be burning.

I don't think there's any other option that isn't just as risky or likely to cost a lot more in terms of both salary and assets.

This isn't a great deal (it seems like one where the parameters were mostly worked out in the summer and then got paused a bit due to Talbot's early season inconsistency). It's a big show of confidence and one that hasn't been 100% earned.

But it's okay. I think Broissot made this deal palatable. He'll come in next year on a cheap-ass one-way contract (probably for a couple seasons) and provide insurance/competition at a total price that's pretty reasonable.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
spawnny

.07? that is pretty close

That's the difference between Cam Talbot (22nd) and Henrik Lundqivst (12th) in the league this year.

If he's "pretty close" to Henrik Lundqivst, that's "pretty good."

It also means that Cam Talbot is "pretty close," in either direction, to more than half of the starting NHL goalies this year in that metric.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
spawnny

.07? that is pretty close

That's the difference between Cam Talbot (22nd) and Henrik Lundqivst (12th) in the league this year.

If he's "pretty close" to Henrik Lundqivst, that's "pretty good."

It also means that Cam Talbot is "pretty close," in either direction, to more than half of the starting NHL goalies this year in that metric.

I admire your restraint Quixote, but the truth of the matter is that that isn't "pretty close" at all.

Sorry JTS, but you're wrong here.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Listening to Chiarelli's comments, IMO he's based his decision to extend Talbot on a lot more than just his performance on the ice.

At the end of the day, it's his decision to make and ultimately he'll be the one to wear it if things don't work out. When Chia was hired a lot of fans rejoiced that we "finally" had a professional at the position, someone who had past proven success in his hired role. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Management making bad bets doesn't change the fact that good bets are available for pennies almost every single year.

I'll say it again: Cam Talbot's contract has the biggest risk factor of any contract signed by an Oilers GM since at least Andrew Ference, but probably all the way back to Shawn Horcoff. If it goes bad next year, the Oilers will probably not be able to escape it.

holy hyperbole batman.
I can understand thinking it was a bit of overpay, but biggest risk factor of any contact since horcoff?

Look at the average salary for a starting goaltender. What Talbot got seems fair. I don't quite like the NMC, but I think he's a good goalie.
If the Oilers improve their defense, his stats will get much better along with the team.

Only time will tell if you're a genius or, um, to put it nicely, the exact opposite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Two problems what are our options and what is the going rate? From what I read this makes him the 23rd highest paid goalie in the league. Other options were Ward, Hiller, Ramo, Lehtonen and some others.

As I type this I'm reading what Gord says above me and the only thing I don't really know/agree with is just how good Talbot is. The one thing I do know is after a bad stretch and losing his job to his backup he did bounce back and take his job back. That bounce back is something we really haven't had.

But seriously July 1st Talbot is getting a similar deal to this anyway. Maybe with a 4th year

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eh, Scrivens' technical skills were always god awful in comparison to Talbot. There's only so many times you can get away with poor body positioning and movement control in your crease, and unfortunately for Scrivens he wasn't athletic enough to make up for it.

This. Scrivens glove, stance, everything was a cluster F.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Actually Quick despite how amazing he can play is also notorious for playing bad periods that cost the Kings games. When Quick is bad he'll let a few in quickly. 4 against Ottawa just this weekend to blow the game. All 3rd period.

People have this idea that this only happens here. All goalies have funks. The thing is how much is it limited, what is the proportion of quality games and how well can they play at their best.

We finally got what looks like a #1 goalie here. As we can see that makes a big difference in winning games we shouldn't.

The Oilers would only win a significant more amount of games if they had Cujo, Hasek or Roy in there prime. I have watched almost every game, and while there was a few gaffes, both Nilsson/Talbot also played some great games. It balances it out with almost all goalies in the league right now

There is guys that play behind elite teams with #1 goalies, and when you acquire them it can go many different ways you can either end up with Vesa Toskala, Ben Scrivens, or you can get Martin Jones, Jonathan Bernier tier goalie or you luck out and get a Mika Kiprusov.

You develop them and wait a few years or you hope that someone is developed.

The previous poster sounds like you just automatically end up with a Kiprusov caliber goaltender. It used to be the norm that you had a few goalies in the league who stood on his head and single handely one games for there teams. I can't say one goalie in the league who does that besides Price. Lundqvist can be sensational but it's more about second effort, and sound positionally. Rinne falls in that category, but in a 10 year span there is maybe at most 10 teams (and that's probably way over) who actually still have that same goalie - and I am probably even then stretching it.

Back in the day many teams had franchise goalies, the honeymoon just doesn't last as long as people think it will.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Think this is the first time I've posted (and that's rare in itself) before even reading the thread:

Mixed emotions here. Has shown he can be a starter but hasn't done it consistently and that is a ton of money if he ends up just being a backup. Scrivens looked good the first year (wow... part 2... haven't payed attention but 3.77 gaa, .882sv with Canadiens...what the hell happened to him). Cautiously happy but where does this leave Brossoit? Looking at title...nice to see its at least limited NMC.:amazed:

IMO its perfect situation for LB in terms of contract length for Talbot.
If it was 5yrs LB would have been dejected as seeing no hope of winning the starting role. If it was just a 2yr deal the Oilers probably would have looked for another goalie.
3 yr works out perfect for LB to solidify himself as a NHL starter.

Fight for the backup spot next season possibly seeing some more AHL games for a bit.
NHL backup year 2 of Talbot deal
If pans out taking the starter role away from Talbot in year 3.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
IMO its perfect situation for LB in terms of contract length for Talbot.
If it was 5yrs LB would have been dejected as seeing no hope of winning the starting role. If it was just a 2yr deal the Oilers probably would have looked for another goalie.
3 yr works out perfect for LB to solidify himself as a NHL starter.

Fight for the backup spot next season possibly seeing some more AHL games for a bit.
NHL backup year 2 of Talbot deal
If pans out taking the starter role away from Talbot in year 3.

Every position should always be about competition, and also having a solid backup. Even teams with #1 goalies need a goalie to play 15-20 games if you have not quite a #1 then your looking at 50/30, 40/40 mix for both goalies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
All the groaning. Do some posters ever approve of anything?

We just signed a decent/solid/good goalie (not great) to a 3 year deal, that is a bit pricey but not crippling.

What the ---- is the problem?

decent/solid/good? How do you come away with that judgement after about 10 decent solid good games? He was trash to start the year. Remember when all of mact's signings were pricey but not crippling? Add up 4 or 5 of them and they are crippling.

Chia made the decision on this and it's one he has to get right. Talbot could very well be a bargain down the road but he is far from good soild decent slam dunk material.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
decent/solid/good? How do you come away with that judgement after about 10 decent solid good games? He was trash to start the year. Remember when all of mact's signings were pricey but not crippling? Add up 4 or 5 of them and they are crippling.

Chia made the decision on this and it's one he has to get right. Talbot could very well be a bargain down the road but he is far from good soild decent slam dunk material.

I'm leaning to being optimistic. I can understand the valid concerns people have with the deal.
I just disagree with SK13 talking about how brutal the deal is, and that Talbots new contract is 75% too high and the worst risk since horcoff.

he's gone way overboard with his reactions. even looking at recent oiler goalie contracts, this is better than scrivens, the last DD, and the Khabibulin contracts.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
Initially, I felt like something around 3.5 Million would be about right. When the contract was announced, there was a little sticker shock.

Then I did some research. Talbot will be the 7th lowest-paid starter in the league at 4.17M. Same range as Craig Anderson, Steve Mason, and Jonathan Bernier. That's a pretty wide range of success within that price range.

I don't see any scenario where he'd sign for less than those comparables. 12.5 Million is the cost of doing business. No starter is signing for less tan 4M, and if you find one who's willing, you probably don't want him. In reality, it's about a $600K gamble, and that's manageable, IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad