Confirmed with Link: Cam Talbot Signed To 3-Year Extension (AAV: $4.17M, Limited NMC)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To further this, interesting thought:

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 6h6 hours ago
Convo about Talbot's extension would be a lot different w/o 7 "own goals" #Oilers had on him this year. SV% would be .920 if only 4 went in

And what would it be if he stopped all the shots from behind the goal line like any NHL goalie should? League best?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Too much money but oh well... wanted both goalies signed for under 6M.. will have to go with a 1M backup now.. 4.1 is legit starter money..

This teams goaltending will cost under 6M. Nilsson's and rfa so if they choose to keep him around he won't be seeing much money, and if they decide to go with Brossoit he will be even cheaper. My guess would be that they give Nilsson a 1 year deal and then he battles with Brossoit for the back up job. Either that or they show 100% confidence in Brossoit being ready and flip Nilsson for a pick to some team needing a young cheap back-up who while still having holes in his game, still has potential.

And what would it be if he stopped all the shots from behind the goal line like any NHL goalie should? League best?

Probably would be upwards of .930. The reason I'm not worried about Talbot is because most of his struggles came early on with a new club. In contrast Scrivens was great when he first got here, and then tapered off. With Cam he's only gotten better after a rough stretch, and its clear he's cleaned up those bad angle goals, as I really can't recall him letting in one other than in the LA game in a while. Those goals will go in on every goalie at some point, but the amount they were going in on Cam was completely unsustainable.

I'm perfectly fine with the money and term. Would I have liked it to be cheaper? Sure who wouldn't want that, but maybe this lowers the asking price on his next deal since Chia was more than cooperative. He might never be an elite goalie, but he has all the attributes to be a very good starter. He's big, he moves very well and controlled in his crease. He has a good glove and good rebound control for the most part. And most of all he is mentally strong, something that none of our goalies in recent years have had. He seems to be able to shake things off after a couple bad goals or bad games and come back ready to work.

Last edited:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Convo about Talbot's extension would be a lot different w/o 7 "own goals" #Oilers had on him this year. SV% would be .920 if only 4 went in

Plus the handful of "own fault" goals from bad angles or behind the goal line that have gone in on him this year. If you take away all that he has actually played well above expectations this year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This teams goaltending will cost under 6M. Nilsson's and rfa so if they choose to keep him around he won't be seeing much money, and if they decide to go with Brossoit he will be even cheaper. My guess would be that they give Nilsson a 1 year deal and then he battles with Brossoit for the back up job. Either that or they show 100% confidence in Brossoit being ready and flip Nilsson for a pick to some team needing a young cheap back-up who while still having holes in his game, still has potential.

Yeh I agree but being an Oilers fan we are not really used to having a legit starting goalie on the team so this will be something new.. Also the sample size is still small with Talbot...

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Probably the same people who were complaining about the Klefbom contract. Now that he is out we are getting exposed big time. But he's not worth it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeh I agree but being an Oilers fan we are not really used to having a legit starting goalie on the team so this will be something new.. Also the sample size is still small with Talbot...

It is, but he put up some pretty impressive numbers in NY, and while the Oilers D is not anywhere near as good as NY, its completely overblown that NY has elite D.

Again like I said, if Talbot started like he has over the last 15 games and then his game fell off like it did in his rough patch I'd be more concerned. I think people need to understand that its not easy for players to swap teams and systems, and especially for a goalie switching from a structured team to a team thats just learning now that this isn't some pond hockey game. He's cleaned up a lot of the bad angle issues he was having and there's nothing visually that worries me when watching him play. He's positionally, technically, and athletically sound, and I think a lot of the bad goals he let in were a result of him trying to overcompensate and read plays due to our pathetic defending. Get Klefbom back, and get him another top 4 D (Hamonic, Shattenkirk, etc) and I think he will be much more consistent. Hell even moving out Jultz and Gryba and the growth of Nurse, Davidson, (maybe Reinhart) and Fayne hopefully keeping up his recent play to be a steadying presence on the bottom pair. All these things should help.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I like what I've seen overall but to me he's still not a bonafide starter, has more to prove. A bit too much money for my liking but expected.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Plus the handful of "own fault" goals from bad angles or behind the goal line that have gone in on him this year. If you take away all that he has actually played well above expectations this year.

How many of those 'own fault' goals cost the Oilers points? I can think of at least two points those goals cost the Oilers against the Kinda alone this season.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
How many of those 'own fault' goals cost the Oilers points? I can think of at least two points those goals cost the Oilers against the Kinda alone this season.

While they pissed me off at the time (especially since he single-handedly lost us the Halloween game to Calgary), I think he's more than made up for it over the last 10-15 games.

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Don't like this move, should have waited until the end of the year. Talbot hasn't proved he is a legitimate starter in this league yet.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Don't like this move, should have waited until the end of the year. Talbot hasn't proved he is a legitimate starter in this league yet.

Talbot probably wouldve tested the market then..
Also, with defense supposedly getting shored up and McDavid returning his numbers probably would have improved..

Cap hit is high IMO but the timing was perfect.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I assume that everyone that wanted the Oilers to wait until he'd proven more is also good with the 5M+ it would have cost to sign him at that point? And they would also be cool with the possibility that he could leave as a FA and then the Oilers are back to searching for a goalie again?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The 7 own goals is something I mentioned right here frequently and of course it really does change the picture.

Talbot is basically riding Johnathon Quick stats. Has throughout his brief NHL career.

Maybe the Oilers were told to shoot against him to keep the price down...:D:sarcasm:

Schultz looked danged determined to score that one goal. Halls was a thing of beauty..:popcorn:

Why do these guys finish so well into our net? ;)

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
I assume that everyone that wanted the Oilers to wait until he'd proven more is also good with the 5M+ it would have cost to sign him at that point? And they would also be cool with the possibility that he could leave as a FA and then the Oilers are back to searching for a goalie again?

Nah. They're convinced that Talbot is worth a touch over 3M. Some might say he was a stretch at 2.5m!

Goalies are a dime a dozen! Which is probably why we've gone through about a dozen in the last few years...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nah. They're convinced that Talbot is worth a touch over 3M. Some might say he was a stretch at 2.5m!

Goalies are a dime a dozen! Which is probably why we've gone through about a dozen in the last few years...

With all due respect probably so many goalies have been through here that people forget what a real keeper, excuse pun, looks like.

Talbot is the best goalie seen here since Roli. Possibly since Cujo. He's that good.

Which I think will become clearer in time. (It should already be clear)

Talbot has already played at least 20 games here that are technically better than anything I've seen here in net in decades.

The Oilers org would have to be bigger idiots than I think they are to nickel and dime Talbot.

Credit to Chia for getting it done. The past clowns would've waffled all year and ended up paying 5M if they even managed to keep him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
That's pricey but he has been very good.

Will his recent 930 save fall off a cliff now that he is signed?

Of course...

Of course it will.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Good deal. Obviously, I would have preferred 3.5 / year; however, if he keeps up his recent play, it's a steal.

Empty Netter

Patrick McDraisaitl
Jan 15, 2016
The contract is obviously a bet, but not a really big one.

Talbot had a bad stretch of 6 games with under .900 performances.
Besides that he's been solid to great and i think that's what we can expect him to be the next seasons as well.

I'm pretty confident with him as a starting goalie and in one year his contract will be seen as fair value or even a steal.

Now make Brossoit his backup and we're fine.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The contract is obviously a bet, but not a really big one.

Talbot had a bad stretch of 6 games with under .900 performances.
Besides that he's been solid to great and i think that's what we can expect him to be the next seasons as well.

I'm pretty confident with him as a starting goalie and in one year his contract will be seen as fair value or even a steal.

Now make Brossoit his backup and we're fine.

I think it's better to roll with Nilsson (or another cheap backup) for next year and let Brossoit play all season than have Brossoit sit on the bench.

Empty Netter

Patrick McDraisaitl
Jan 15, 2016
I think it's better to roll with Nilsson (or another cheap backup) for next year and let Brossoit play all season than have Brossoit sit on the bench.

I see what you mean, but don't you think Brossoit has earned his opportunity?
After this season he will have played 2 succesful seasons in the AHL.
Is there anything more to learn for him?

I worry that he might get frustrated, especially if Nilsson continues to struggle.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I think you give Brossoit a chance to outplay Nilsson next year, and maybe give him a couple games this year. He'll be 23 to start next season and I really don't think he has much left to prove at the AHL level (on a team thats been getting outplayed almost every night, due in part to injuries and in part to a lack of talent). If he looks better than Nilsson in camp then I'm sure his development would be fine getting 25-30 games behind Talbot.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Management making bad bets doesn't change the fact that good bets are available for pennies almost every single year.

I'll say it again: Cam Talbot's contract has the biggest risk factor of any contract signed by an Oilers GM since at least Andrew Ference, but probably all the way back to Shawn Horcoff. If it goes bad next year, the Oilers will probably not be able to escape it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Management making bad bets doesn't change the fact that good bets are available for pennies almost every single year.

I'll say it again: Cam Talbot's contract has the biggest risk factor of any contract signed by an Oilers GM since at least Andrew Ference, but probably all the way back to Shawn Horcoff. If it goes bad next year, the Oilers will probably not be able to escape it.
Talbot's is less risky for sure imo. Ference was exiting his prime years, Talbot is entering his prime. Horcoff had a much higher percentage of the cap than Talbot has. I also think that having Nilsson and Brossoit hedges the risk significantly. If Talbot bombs out, we have cheap options to fall back on. The total spent on goalies will never be sky high.

The bigger risk would be letting the Talbot situation drag on and risk having him test free agency. Then we're forced to go with young or unproven goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad