Rumor: Cam Talbot expected to be traded after turning down extension with Ottawa

TGOSnipes99

Feb 5, 2023
Can any goalie stay above .900 with that defence?
The Oilers are top 10 or top 5 in ES HDC against einstein. What you seen today (if you even watched) was a goalie who could not make any saves to get down 4-0

The fact they are close to being at the top of the entire WEST and are 2ND IN REG WINS IN THE NHL shows how good they are upfront.

This is not all on the D

We are seeing some historically garbage goaltending out of Jack Campbell and basically every single stat, advanced or others as well as the eye test support that fact.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Isn't that a relatively high price for a goaltender that needs to bounce back?
I don't think he has anything to prove, he's got 2 seasons of strong play VS a bad 10 game stretch.
That being said our GM has said he not available but like anyone not named Petey or Quinn, a massive overpay could change that.
Goalies take so long to develop and most end up busting, so when you got a good one locked up for 3 more years at 5 million and your not re-building there's really no incentive to trade him.
Especially with EP40 needing an extension the optics of moving him would not be good.
Now with Silovs at 21 getting a shot and the best goalie coach in the world smitten with him maybe they go out and sign Surrey native Jarry to replace Demko and have Silovs backing him up, using Demko to upgrade the defense? But that's a lot of iifs and would be a summer type move..

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

While the trade hasn’t worked out, I don’t think it was a bad trade at the time. I say that as a fan of Gustavsson from the moment I watched him in Belleville. It was always clear he was a talented goaltender but with the team expected to take a big step, they needed a more reliable option. I personally would have been more than happy to take on the gamble of running with Gustavsson and Forsberg but it’s very easy to understand why the trade was made. It’s not like Gustavsson was waiver exempt. It was time for Ottawa to make a decision on the player with his waiver eligibility. I’m happy to see him find consistency in his game because he is a fun goaltender to watch.

Reactions: hussbag

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He might just have to play out the string in Ottawa. Without him, the Sens don't have enough healthy goaltenders to get through the season.

If they trade him, they just have to go out and give up something to bring in a guy like Nedeljkovic to run out the clock.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Guessing it's just not a fit. Ottawa offered him an extension sure. Probably not an expensive one. Guessing 1 year at a low salary. Or at least low enough he thinks he can get more in free agency.

Plus Ottawa likely isn't a playoff team, Talbot probably wants to go somewhere that is, or has more a chance in the short term.

Maybe he's just done with playing for Canadian teams lol. Who knows really.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings need a sure thing, not a lottery ticket, otherwise there's plenty of random swings to take.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Kings would have to move Quick or Petersen if they would bring another goalie in. They should be going after Korpisalo, not Talbot if they want to bring in another goalie.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Wonder what the cost (on top of Talbot) would be for Korpisalo as a rental just have a negotiation window before July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad