Rumor: Cam Talbot expected to be traded after turning down extension with Ottawa

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well that all turned out to be much ado about nothing. Getting Talbot as the big upgrade over Murray. :laugh:

I do see him having some value as an insurance policy/alternative option for playoff teams though. These days, we've seen that it can be tough to go the distance with a single goaltender, unless you've got one of a small handful of absolutely elite guys.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Isn't that a relatively high price for a goaltender that needs to bounce back?

Yes but Demko has been fantastic prior and Vancouver is an absolutely mess, especially on defense. So I don't think his trade value is all that hurt. That being said, I do think you need to balance the trade better. Maybe make the pick conditional based on his performance or if Ottawa makes the playoffs next year. No shot it's a 2023 1st. It'd definitely be a 2024 pick even if it happened at the TDL.

I don't know the Sens prospect pool well enough to comment on the others included though.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
At his age I can’t say I blame him. In his shoes I’d be more likely to sign a cheap contract with a contender in a backup or tandem role for a chance at the cup. He doesn’t seem to be a fit in Ottawa and it would probably lead to an early retirement with no cup when one of their goalies steps up.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
I wonder If Florida would have any interest. Who Knows how long Knight will be out and are they comfortable running Bob and Lyon. Maybe work something around Talbot and Duclair and Add in a third team to send Duclair too since Ottawa is probably more a seller at this point.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes…but haven’t Comrie and UPL pretty much forced his hand? They can’t be the duo next year. A veteran has to be picked up who can take over the old man who isn’t complete trash for Anderson.

If Talbot would sign an extension with them…it feels exactly like what they would do for next year

Could be. I wonder though if they go there. It's not hard to imagine this blowing up on them too since their defensive structure is pretty shitty too.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
You played for Calgary and Edmonton, Talbot. How about a turn in Vancouver?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Right? Honestly Talbot is at the point where he should accept any type of contract offered to him, especially an extension. His numbers make him look better than he actually plays because his play has been absolutely brutal.

At this point, he needs to go to a team that can play good defense in front of him so they can shelter him.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Oops.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 164653.png

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Right? Honestly Talbot is at the point where he should accept any type of contract offered to him, especially an extension. His numbers make him look better than he actually plays because his play has been absolutely brutal.
I can't believe he turned down an extension. The only way I can believe it is if Dorion, rightfully, offered him pretty much 1.5 million or less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad