Player Discussion Cam Fowler

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yup. If he was a second round pick everyone would love him. Shit, he would be if he was just a regular 12th overall and not a guy that was in the conversation for top 1,2 or 3 at times.
I judge people on how much they are getting paid and performing for that money not where they were drafted. Who cares where they were drafted this late into their careers.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With Fowler I believe he is capable of alot more and it got coached out of him earlier in his career. They should have let him stay dynamic offensively even with the negative effect on defense, just give him favorable matches instead of coaching it out of him.

Anyone remember those times Fowler and Selanne were incredible together on the ice in 2010-11 ? their speed up the ice and on breakaways they were dangerous

It's like Bob wasn't happy he couldn't be elite on both ends of the ice like Nied/Prong so he has them coach him into more of a 2 way guy.

I hope they don't do that to Drysdale.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I judge people on how much they are getting paid and performing for that money not where they were drafted. Who cares where they were drafted this late into their careers.

I guess I should have said "Some people".

Just wondering, how much do you think Cam is overpaid?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I guess I should have said "Some people".

Just wondering, how much do you think Cam is overpaid?
Not by much but he is just kinda out there sometimes. He eats up minutes which is great but as I said he is just kinda out there.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
I’ve been ok with Fowler. He has been up and down and not one of the ones who have been stuck in a black hole like Shattenkirk or Henrique. I think with better offense from the forwards and a better PP will get him going. It’s just been a weird bad season for a lot of players but feel he is battling.

It's interesting you bring up Shattenkirk because if he had his attitude of roaming the offensive zone with the skill he possesses, he'd probably be a 40-45 point player.

I still like him, but he's just kind of a weird mishmash of a player where he's not a true force in two of the three zones while not being a true shutdown guy either. I guess my biases play into it a bit more than I realize with him, but it's frustrating sometimes.

EDIT: At least in past seasons, you kind of saw flashes for a few games to let you know there was still something aggressive within him. Right now, we're not getting anything from him (though I know that's also a byproduct of the team being shit offensively, as you said.)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Not by much but he is just kinda out there sometimes. He eats up minutes which is great but as I said he is just kinda out there.

But that is worth something. Being a solid guy who eats minutes and play every situation is pretty valuable.

I think he is overpaid by 500k-1mil at most. Not enough to complain about at all.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The lack of offense is diasappointing. With his skill set he should be a consistent year in year out 40 point dman. Just never really came to fruition. Too bad

But he’s not a bad player, I just think he’d be a better fit with more offensive minded Ds around him

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
But that is worth something. Being a solid guy who eats minutes and play every situation is pretty valuable.

I think he is overpaid by 500k-1mil at most. Not enough to complain about at all.

It’s not the cap hit, it’s the term for me. Players of Fowler’s caliber should never get 8 year deals and especially not 8 year deals with almost full trade protection. We still have another 5 years left after this season and he turns 30 this year...

Reactions: Deuce22

bsu

Sep 27, 2017

Not complaining but if we traded him I wouldn't mind it. I am neutral now with Fowler he serves a purpose but could be much better and useful if he wasn't such a wuss.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The lack of offense is diasappointing. With his skill set he should be a consistent year in year out 40 point dman. Just never really came to fruition. Too bad

But he’s not a bad player, I just think he’d be a better fit with more offensive minded Ds around him

Thats just the thing, though, he's not at all far off from that. 40 points in an 82 game season is .49 PPG and Fowler for his career is at .44, or 36 in an 82 game season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Thats just the thing, though, he's not at all far off from that. 40 points in an 82 game season is .49 PPG and Fowler for his career is at .44, or 36 in an 82 game season.
He’s not far off but he still just isn’t quite there. I expected him to become more of a chance creator.

Not a huge deal, he’s still worth most of his money. Term maybe isn’t great

It’s all my expectations that were the problem

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I think the thing with Fowler is that we all had higher hopes for Cam than the player he turned out to be.
thought for sure he'd be putting up 50+ pts a year after his rookie season

his skating has always been excellent but everything else with him is just incredibly average. it's a shame he doesn't have a shot because he'd be an absolute weapon on the PP. at this point in his career i really don't even notice him much out there. seems like he's just going through the motions while his skating has regressed a bit

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
This team has 99 problems, and Cam's contract is like 78th.

I admit, It sucks he rarely shows that offensive side. He makes enough that he should be. But legit, I aint ragging on him or his contract. We need him.

I agree. Too many other major issues with the team. If Fowler goes, who replaces those minutes? It would also leave Lindholm as the only reliable and proven defensemen. If he gets injured, it would leave the Ducks somehow worse than they are now.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Cam is unbelievably 2nd on the team in points and is just under .5ppg at the moment on a very poor offensive team. He sure has been bipolar this year. Needs to start skating more in the offensive zone, can be way too stationary at times.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He generally puts up points in bunches and it looks like he’s going through a hot streak atm with 4 in his last 2 and 6 in his last 6. Hopefully he can keep up the production, he’s having a decent year so far.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
He generally puts up points in bunches and it looks like he’s going through a hot streak atm with 4 in his last 2 and 6 in his last 6. Hopefully he can keep up the production, he’s having a decent year so far.
He's been up and down but mostly up this year and I'd say he and Hawk are the ones that have really stepped up the most with Hampus out. He's never going to be aggressive in the offensive zone, never ever, even when he's leading the rush he still pulls up to let everyone pass him at the blue line. Once you kind of release him from that expectation, it's much easier to appreciate all the good things he does. And he puts up points regardless.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Again, have no issues with Cam. Nearly a .50 PPG pace again on a putrid Ducks offensive team. He should be one of the keepers moving forward.

Reactions: ScarTroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad