Cam Atkinson

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Cam is one of our more senior players @26 ha ha. Loving the fact that he has developed into a helluva hockey player - he and Calvert ipitomize the hard working persona that the Blue Jackets organization wanted to build around

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Should Cam sit a game or two? He’s been a liability lately. I think that might be a good motivational shake up for him.

Yes. I would say it's the opposite of “motivational” though. I think he’s trying too hard/putting too much pressure on himself/in his own head. Taking a game or two off could help him clear his head and relax a bit. That was the problem a few years ago that his healthy scratch then fixed, and I believe that’s part of the problem now.

Also, VERY interesting thread to read. I love when these types of threads get bumped. But a good reminder he’s had more than his fair share of struggles in the past. I trust he’ll get it figured out. Perhaps not to a 40-goal level again, but he’ll turn things around.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Cam has been struggling for 50+ games now. This isn't a Panarin thing. He's shooting sub-5% over his lost 50 or so odd games. I don't know what's going on, but it seems like he can't handle the pressure that comes with an A and playing 18+ minutes a night on the top line. Especially now, when there's no superstar to defer to. Very concerning.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Wtf was this

That looks like an attempt to deke and slip it five-hole, and the puck got away from him. It was a good move and he would have scored if he could have hung on to it, just needs to soften his grip.

Cam has been moving his feet more in the last week than he has at any point in a long long time. That's step one, I'm more confident now that he's re-finding his game.

----------------------

What I don't like when watching that play is where Werenski ends up - behind Foligno on the left side of the crease. He's on a shorthanded 3 v 1, he needs to stop in front of the crease and be ready to haul back, there's no offensive advantage and a big defensive disadvantage from drifting down low on the side like that. I don't know if the coaches have talked to Werenski about this or if they've decided to give him free rein. Either way it sure seems like an issue that should be worked on, he's causing far too many odd-mans against.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Cam has been struggling for 50+ games now. This isn't a Panarin thing. He's shooting sub-5% over his lost 50 or so odd games. I don't know what's going on, but it seems like he can't handle the pressure that comes with an A and playing 18+ minutes a night on the top line. Especially now, when there's no superstar to defer to. Very concerning.

If this trend continues, it may be wise to ship him out when his limited trade clause (now has NTC) kicks in. He'll be 31 starting next season. I think that he'll still be marketable unless he's less than 16-17 goals, though it may require some salary retention. Call it the "James Neal" effect.

Another example of the foolish Jarmo/JD "CBA leverage" philosophy. Cam was a keeper after his first bridge. Should have been signed to a 6 year deal then. Would be in year 5 of a 6 year deal at a lower rate.

If Atkinson is in a secular decline now, it's yet another example of Jarmo Kekalainen's poor stewardship on contracts. Horton, Dubinsky, Foligno (though not nearly as bad as the other two) already were examples going too long term with older players. If Atkinson joins the group, Jarmo needs to be sent packing.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I'd say set him and Anderson but the reality probably is that Cam needs to keep working through it. Anderson could use to set and regroup mentally.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'd say set him and Anderson but the reality probably is that Cam needs to keep working through it. Anderson could use to set and regroup mentally.

I think Anderson could sit to regroup *physically* but that's for another thread.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I certainly wouldn't argue your point. He's seemingly nursing something nagging

Just watching his play, it's hard to draw any other conclusion. A player just doesn't lose it at his age. He's missing his physical aggressiveness and speed by my eye. I'd be very surprised if he's even close to 100% physically.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
At 5v5, Cam is 0-6-6, with just 2 of those assists being primary. He's still 5th in total ice time among forwards at 5v5. His points/60 minutes at 5v5 ranks 11th among CBJ forwards, behind Foligno and ahead of Wennberg (of course, Lilja ranks 8th, fwiw). At all strengths, he has just 8 primary points and his 4.76% shooting percentage ranks ahead of only Gavrikov, Anderson, and Savard. His 84 shots lead the team (Bjorkstrand has 74 shots on net).

Without the PP, he's producing at near-fourth line quality. His 8 total primary points ranks t-8th on the team, behind Bemstrom and tied with Jenner. At 5v5, he is t-14th on the team in primary points - tied with Savard, Nutivaara, Kukan, and Anderson, ahead of only Wennberg, Gavrikov, Lilja, Harrington, and Sherwood.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Should Cam sit a game or two? He’s been a liability lately. I think that might be a good motivational shake up for him.

His malaise started during the Tampa series and he wasnt his usual self against Boston either. I love Cam but I think hes a natural unfixable choker.

So he started choking as PO began and still cant unchoke himself.

Maybe sitting him, giving him some therapy etc could be a good idea

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Atkinson is more concerned about his new house, the lawn and Spring garden than NHL hockey.... The Jackets are now lumped with Detroit and New Jersey… Three worst scoring teams in the league... Thanks Cam..

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Just watching his play, it's hard to draw any other conclusion. A player just doesn't lose it at his age. He's missing his physical aggressiveness and speed by my eye. I'd be very surprised if he's even close to 100% physically.
It's not physical... it's mental, the dude would rather be home than playing hockey..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Earlier this week, Atkinson acknowledged that part of his offensive drop is related to Panarin’s departure, that the dynamic of his line with center Pierre-Luc Dubois has changed dramatically with Panarin gone. For one thing, the left-wing spot has been in constant flux.

“(Bread) wanted the puck a lot, held onto it a lot,” Atkinson said. “It allowed me to get ‘lost.’ A guy like that, where he brings the puck in all the time, he’s not dumping the puck. He slows the game down … you don’t do a lot of chasing.

“It’s just different personnel. Not that it’s a bad thing or a good thing, but when you play with a guy who puts up at least a point a game, it’s hard to replace a guy like that.”
Atkinson has started taking early-morning, “pre-practice” skates with assistant coach Kenny McCudden for the first time this season, and he’s spoken about working harder in practice so it’ll translate to games.

“I don’t think I’ve been having nearly as much fun, and I don’t really know why,” said Atkinson, who called this “the worst season of my career.” He has 4-11-15 in 27 games.

Artemi Panarin's return to Columbus, and a reminder of...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad