Cam Atkinson

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Um he did put up good numbers before Panarin.

I know sometimes it's tough to understand what someone intends.
Simply this - folks like you assume Cam won't miss a beat without Bread. He did it before and he can do it now.

But understand when he did it before he was somewhere between the 2nd-3rd line with little pressure on him.
During and after Bread he became the "You gotta stay, Columbus is great. Wait you're leaving screw you, guys follow me I'll lead this offense!". At least for now he's in over his head, similar to when Nash forced the C on his chest and couldn't lead. Good on him for netting his 5th goal last night, but if he wants to be the leader he needs to produce. He didn't do it in the playoffs (With bread and while Bread was producing) and he's not doing it now.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I know sometimes it's tough to understand what someone intends.
Simply this - folks like you assume Cam won't miss a beat without Bread. He did it before and he can do it now.

But understand when he did it before he was somewhere between the 2nd-3rd line with little pressure on him.
During and after Bread he became the "You gotta stay, Columbus is great. Wait you're leaving screw you, guys follow me I'll lead this offense!". At least for now he's in over his head, similar to when Nash forced the C on his chest and couldn't lead. Good on him for netting his 5th goal last night, but if he wants to be the leader he needs to produce. He didn't do it in the playoffs (With bread and while Bread was producing) and he's not doing it now.

Weird, I just opened a random GDT from 2013 (game 2 of the season) and Cam appeared to be on the top line with Brassard and Umberger.

GDT: - Game 2: CBJ vs Detroit | 7:30pm EST NBC/TSN| "Home Opener" Edition

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Indeed. Cam hasn't been a 2nd-3rd line guy since Rick Nash's days on the ice in union blue.

Uhhh

2013-2014

The top line was Jenner-Johansen-Horton/Skille (even Gaborik before he got hurt/traded?)
Even the 2nd line, it could be argued, was Umberger-Anisimov-Foligno and not Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson.

It really wasn't until the flame out year and the Torts era that Cam was moved to the top line.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Uhhh

2013-2014

The top line was Jenner-Johansen-Horton/Skille (even Gaborik before he got hurt/traded?)
Even the 2nd line, it could be argued, was Umberger-Anisimov-Foligno and not Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson.

It really wasn't until the flame out year and the Torts era that Cam was moved to the top line.
Pardon me if I overstated it by, like, a year or so. The point being, he's been on the top line for at least half a decade; he didn't develop his track record by being sheltered.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Cam has LITERALLY invested in the city. He'll be one who lives here post-retirement. It sucks seeing him struggle so much. He also loves (or at least loved) Torts.

Reactions: rotsbu

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Rip on his play all you want (Warranted), but don't question his heart or dedication to the team and city. That's unquestioned.

This sums up my feelings about Cam perfectly. He's a great Jacket with unquestioned loyalty, but his play has been concerning for long enough to be concerned he's not simply in a funk. Love the guy and what he does for the team and city, but the word "albatross" comes to mind regarding his contract.

Reactions: thebus88

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Cam was horrible last season. Hes also a choker in PO. Its quite frustrating, all of this and I really like him as a player.. :/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think his remaining contract is good, per se, but I don't expect it to be a real albatross either. Cam is very inconsistent from month to month but he consistently has some very high highs each year too. High ankle sprains linger but he's shown his speed at times already. I don't know if we can criticize his effort, it seems the real issue is that he and Domi just aren't clicking on passes.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Anyone ever see him during the first scrimmage in the Ice Haus over the last two years (not this year obviously). Torts typically bag skates them after the scrimmage. Have watched Cam these last two years and he appears to really struggle in this situation as if he is not in shape. Would really be interesting to see what he did the two mile time trial in in each of these years. Could yield info on his aerobic capacity/fitness. Old guys have to work harder to stay in shape. Comments he made about his ankle after getting an MRI before the season started also left me wondering. Also wondered why he even needed an MRI. Something must not be right in there but hey I'm no doc.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Anyone ever see him during the first scrimmage in the Ice Haus over the last two years (not this year obviously). Torts typically bag skates them after the scrimmage. Have watched Cam these last two years and he appears to really struggle in this situation as if he is not in shape. Would really be interesting to see what he did the two mile time trial in in each of these years. Could yield info on his aerobic capacity/fitness. Old guys have to work harder to stay in shape. Comments he made about his ankle after getting an MRI before the season started also left me wondering. Also wondered why he even needed an MRI. Something must not be right in there but hey I'm no doc.

Interestingly, I remember he was in a "group" of I think 3-4 with Savard during camp either before the 2019-20 season or the 2018-19 season where they'd do a few laps around the rink (for like 60 seconds or something, don't remember exactly), rest for a bit, do some more laps, rest, etc., and Savard ended each set of 60 seconds ahead of Cam by a pretty significant amount each time. It just jumped out at me and I still remember because it was very surprising to me. So perhaps there's something to that about him needing to get into shape and/or not being particularly good on the stamina end. Obviously, Cam has (hopefully not had...) great full-throttle speed.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Interestingly, I remember he was in a "group" of I think 3-4 with Savard during camp either before the 2019-20 season or the 2018-19 season where they'd do a few laps around the rink (for like 60 seconds or something, don't remember exactly), rest for a bit, do some more laps, rest, etc., and Savard ended each set of 60 seconds ahead of Cam by a pretty significant amount each time. It just jumped out at me and I still remember because it was very surprising to me. So perhaps there's something to that about him needing to get into shape and/or not being particularly good on the stamina end. Obviously, Cam has (hopefully not had...) great full-throttle speed.

I've heard that Savard is known for that. I believe Jody mentioned how surprisingly good his stamina is.

Judging by Foudy's seeming lack of stamina, sometimes the thoroughbreds aren't built for distance. Perhaps it's a fast twitch vs slow twitch thing.

Reactions: CBJfan4evr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->