Cam Atkinson

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As I mentioned in the game thread, Cam needs space in which to operate and use his sniper skills. Playing with Joey and Nick gives him that space because the other team is shadowing Joey so much. Cam has the skill to make the other team pay when he is given space. I hope TR keeps that line together for a couple of weeks.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
:thumbu:
And Hartnell a very different player when he plays with Johansen.. and even Boone ;) I hope yet to see Johansen - Anisimov combo :)

To be fair, Morin and Skille had remained pretty much the same with or without Johansen.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
To be fair, Morin and Skille had remained pretty much the same with or without Johansen.

Ah! wherefore with infection should he live,
And with his presence grace impiety,
That sin by him advantage should achieve,
And lace itself with his society?
:sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Or it could show that looking at Corsi in and of itself is not all that meaningful?

I think Corsi is pretty useful.. but you have to make a little adjustment for a player like Cam. He takes a lot of low-percentage shots.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Or it could show that looking at Corsi in and of itself is not all that meaningful?
Maybe. OTOH, Cam is one of the few forwards we have who I don't think I've ever seen him not successfully get the puck into the opponent's zone. (Whether or not he can keep a hold of it afterwards, tho... that's different. :) )

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think Corsi is pretty useful.. but you have to make a little adjustment for a player like Cam. He takes a lot of low-percentage shots.

So if I back out all the donuts I eat my diet is actually pretty darn healthy? :laugh:

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Atkinson also my favorite player in our team, but very probably will not be with us in the next season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If his Corsi shows you he's a first line player then I think that shows more about Corsi than Cam Atkinson

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If his Corsi shows you he's a first line player then I think that shows more about Corsi than Cam Atkinson

BOOM!!!!!!

While I don't dismiss Corsi and Fenwick, it's nothing more than one measure (of very many) of a player.

It's a proxy stat anyway. It implies that shots attempted equates directly to possession time. While there is a correlation, it's not anywhere near perfect. Some players take an awful lot of shots, many of them bad and from too far away, and they will be rewarded with better "possession" numbers than the player who holds onto the puck (actually "possessing it" more than the quick shooter!) and generates a better shot on his own or to a teammate. Holding the puck longer will result in less shots attempted, but actual possession time could be greater than the player who takes more shots. There are other weaknesses in the stat as well.

Corsi/Fenwick are first generation "advanced" stats that probably will be replaced by much more accurate measures in the near future. The great Russian teams of the 70s would have had terrible Corsi numbers. While there is correlation between team records and Corsis, is that really a surprise? That a good team generates more shots than a poor team does isn't exactly earth-shaking news.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They're suggesting first-liner possession with second-liner scoring. Or, IOW, he's an okay scorer but is frequently in a position such that he ought to be able to do better. (Shocking conclusion, I know. :) )

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
image.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Our Little Gaborik :laugh:

9acc6b53ad32076ec1cdb0f642fd5aad.jpg

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
love his game this year. hes become a player that contributes lots when hes not scoring but we can pretty much still expect what we will get offensively. had a stretch before this last game where he played over 20 minutes for 4 games in a row, thats a lot of trust which is well deserved

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Cam played 17+ minutes in all but one game in January, and went over 20 minutes several times.

He's upped his shooting % the last couple months and is now up to 13.2% for the season.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I don't think it's a coincidence that the one player that was labelled expendable before the year started, obviously worked incredibly hard and had a great summer...

...whereas most everyone else was trying to "avoid" injury.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Atkinson also my favorite player in our team, but very probably will not be with us in the next season.

That would be contrary to everything we're seeing on the ice and what we want to build. Meaning, I would look long and hard at where you are coming up with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad