Cam Atkinson

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't think it's a coincidence that the one player that was labelled expendable before the year started, obviously worked incredibly hard and had a great summer...

...whereas most everyone else was trying to "avoid" injury.

It's just what I like to call a Manny Malhotra moment as opposed to some team wide paranoia/conspiracy theory. In other words, he's getting it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While I won't say Tortorella has had a major impact on Atkinson's play (most of us were expecting this kind of production from him), let's just step back and appreciate the situation.

Atkinson grew up in Connecticut as a NYR fan. During that time, Torts was a major coach for the team and Team USA. Torts is probably someone Atkinson really respected and looked up to.

Now, Atkinson has gone from a 6th rounder, college player to a top-6 NHL'er who happens to be coached by one of his idols and not only that but getting tons of praise from him.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
While I won't say Tortorella has had a major impact on Atkinson's play (most of us were expecting this kind of production from him), let's just step back and appreciate the situation.

Atkinson grew up in Connecticut as a NYR fan. During that time, Torts was a major coach for the team and Team USA. Torts is probably someone Atkinson really respected and looked up to.

Now, Atkinson has gone from a 6th rounder, college player to a top-6 NHL'er who happens to be coached by one of his idols and not only that but getting tons of praise from him.

I think that's taking it too far. Atkinson was in college, and a Jacket draft pick, before Torts went to the Rangers.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Portzline:
The Blue Jackets have gotten calls on Atkinson, but they aren't calling back or trying to trade him. I think the chances of him moving now are far greater than they were a year ago. The Rangers want him. Tortorella's presence has only increased Atkinson's role within the club, and he's having a career year. There are four weeks to go between now at the trade deadline. By the deadline, Hartnell's salary cap hit the acquiring team will be about $1 million. He could end up in various places. I think the market for him will be very strong.

fwiw

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Not sure why we would trade Cam right now unless he returned a boatload. He's got 2 more years at 3.5 which is quite reasonable/under market for a 50 pt player which he is on pace to be.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the "him" in question in the sentence you bolded might actually be Hartnell.

I just read the whole Q & A and the answer was kind of jumbled. I think the him was Cam but it could be Hartnell. Although Porty did say the odds were 100-1 that Saad would be a Blue Jacket next year. I know what he meant but that's not the way to say it. 100-1 would indicate he won't be. Porty needs an editor for his chat answers. :laugh:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Porty's been trying to drum up a Cam trade for a few seasons now. Every time something happens to indicate the team wants him around, he spins it as adding to his value in trade.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Cam now leads the team with 31 points (he's 5th overall in the league in PPG) and is tied for the league lead with 15 power play points.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Success... couldn't happen to a better guy. Just a good man & one I certainly hope our organization plans to protect and keep going forward. .03 and a bag of chips will leave you hungry though...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think Cam is really starting to follow Martin St. Louis' career path, who he of course grew up loving and trains with him as well. A 4-year college guy, who wasn't thought of highly, mostly due to his size. Spent first few professional years in the AHL and a bit of a "late bloomer" in terms of point production in the NHL.

Will Cam be a consistent 90 point guy? Probably not with the way the game has changed. Could he be a top-tier RW for a solid 4-6 year stretch? Probably. He might be a more well-rounded, slightly less skilled version of St. Louis.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Meh, he's learned how to play in all three zones. No mystery here. He's no longer a one dimensional player. He used to only produce in transition. He didn't have much of a defensive game. He's changed. Good for him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wonder how much he's going to want after next year. He's done his job and took a beating full of trade rumors early in his career, and he's also done his bridge deal (two basically)..He's going to want his money.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
He likes it here. If we win regularly and go deep, we might be able to save some dollars off of market value with some guys who want to stay. Cam will likely be the first test of this. We have to win though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad