Injury Report: Cam Atkinson, neck surgery, December 2022

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
So around this time next year we’ll get the announcement that Atkinson is done for his career? :laugh:

just after training camp/preseason

It really is a bit much the way players on this team go from "any day now!" to "well, he may never play again". There's been plenty of smoke around this team's medical history for years now. More than enough reason to be very skeptical of anything they say. Didn't Mason's G coach quit/get fired over them rushing him back? So annoying watching players come back and thinking, "Wow, that was fast. I hope they didn't rush...." and sure enough, injured again. It's old.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I see a couple of you have alluded to Couts and possibly him having a career ending injury as well....is this based on any solid evidence or merely going by precedent? Thanks.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I see a couple of you have alluded to Couts and possibly him having a career ending injury as well....is this based on any solid evidence or merely going by precedent? Thanks.

There's people who could answer better, but I think it's mostly about that the issue (I believe) is degenerative back things. So it never "gets better". Career ending is probably a but much at this point, but it's about, will he ever be the same. He already has a lot of hard miles at this point and hasn't played in about a year an a half, I think.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
favorite-my.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No. Just the assumption that every injured player is one step from death's door.

Reactions: Devonator

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I decided to listen to some BSH. Charlie made it sound like Farabee's injury happened while lifting weights and he felt something wrong but Atkinson came in to camp feeling off and it was seemingly from more "wear and tear" then one specific instance.

He also stated that the Flyers were pushing for a surgery but Atkinson didn't want it and wanted to just try and rehab and get back to playing but then he talked to a doctor who basically told him he had to get the surgery because one wrong hit and he could be paralyzed and Atkinson relented.

Now that doesn't mean that the team is without blame. He said the organization was still considering on Saturday having Atkinson play against the Rangers. Just amazing stuff, really.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I decided to listen to some BSH. Charlie made it sound like Farabee's injury happened while lifting weights and he felt something wrong but Atkinson came in to camp feeling off and it was seemingly from more "wear and tear" then one specific instance.

He also stated that the Flyers were pushing for a surgery but Atkinson didn't want it and wanted to just try and rehab and get back to playing but then he talked to a doctor who basically told him he had to get the surgery because one wrong hit and he could be paralyzed and Atkinson relented.

Now that doesn't mean that the team is without blame. He said the organization was still considering on Saturday having Atkinson play against the Rangers. Just amazing stuff, really.
I like Charlie but hate how he forces the “bad luck” angle of the Flyers medical issues. Yes, there has been bad luck, but just looking at how many times Flyers players have had to undergo second surgeries for the same issue because it wasn’t resolved the first time should wash away the bad luck perspective. The Flyers medical staff are morons. The people who choose to continue using the Flyers medical staff are morons.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This isn't a second surgery, though. And if Couturier's first back surgery didn't work, the guy to blame works for Penn Medicine, not the Flyers. Maybe you should leave him a bad Google review.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This isn't a second surgery, though. And if Couturier's first back surgery didn't work, the guy to blame works for Penn Medicine, not the Flyers. Maybe you should leave him a bad Google review.

Flyers' medical staff doesn't do surgeries, and it's a totally different group this year.

They've just had bad luck in that it's the high priced guys who went down, if the same injury happened to Brown, no one would think twice about it.

And players have a lot to do with treatment, Atkinson didn't want surgery, you can't force him to do so.
If Atkinson gets surgery now, and they don't botch it, he should be 100% next October.

Reactions: Devonator

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I decided to listen to some BSH. Charlie made it sound like Farabee's injury happened while lifting weights and he felt something wrong

I can see how this happens. I lift 4-6 times a week, and it's not so much that lifting will *cause* an injury (though it certainly can), but a lot of times when something feels "off" at the gym and gets tweaked, it's because it was already injured/susceptible in the first place from something outside the gym.

Either that or I'm just getting old.

Reactions: renberg

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I can see how this happens. I lift 4-6 times a week, and it's not so much that lifting will *cause* an injury (though it certainly can), but a lot of times when something feels "off" at the gym and gets tweaked, it's because it was already injured/susceptible in the first place from something outside the gym.

Either that or I'm just getting old.

I know you listen to the pod, I have to say it’s kind of gone downhill for me.

I know the team is trash, but content wise I find STG a lot more interesting to listen to. Outside of Charlie, who really doesn’t let a whole lot slip there isn’t much there anymore.

Reactions: flyersnorth

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I know you listen to the pod, I have to say it’s kind of gone downhill for me.

I know the team is trash, but content wise I find STG a lot more interesting to listen to. Outside of Charlie, who really doesn’t let a whole lot slip there isn’t much there anymore.

Yup, agreed.

I think it's best when it's just Charlie, Kelly, and Bill. And actually, when Bill was out last week, and Kelly moderated, I thought that was a much better format. Kelly was like a stand-in for fans just asking questions to Charlie who covers the team for a living, and it worked.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing to remember about someone who covers the team for a living, you're told a lot of things in confidence, or which you don't want to reveal until you have confirmation, both to be sure of its validity and to protect your sources.

So I'm sure Charlie knows more than he feels he can tell right now.

Reactions: renberg

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019

That guy works for Penn medicine and Penn medicine was hired by the Flyers to handle their healthcare system for the organization as well as medical issues on the roster.
Either way, both the Flyers and Penn Medicine look bad.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Chuck made a mention that Farabee's injury happened during a warmup set of 95 lbs. I imagine that's a squat warmup set. But regardless no professional athlete should be injured during a workout. That's S&C 101. These S&C coaches program the Athletes program personally to the individual, or should be. It's also up to the coaches to be in tune with their athletes. To me this was an overtraining injury.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Clockwork

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
If you are going to miss almost a complete season for surgery this is a good one to pick. So if I'm cooter with the rest of my life and another 7 years to play I'm not prolonging the inevitable. Atkinson I think is a different case
Athletes are in the best shape and get the best surgeons but traditionally you avoid the knife at any cost so this bunch is odd to me

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

He also stated that the "new" medical staff is more patient after the last years went like it went. So looking back now are the flyers are too blame for farabee, hayes and ellis. And last year it was overreacting by the fans. Its always the same!!!!!

Reactions: freakydallas13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad