Post-Game Talk: Calvin Pick0rd

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Play Pickard again on Saturday giving Skinner a full 2 week break?

Tough to sit him after a great shut out performance.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Just watched highlights and LOL at league just not caring about hooking down Hyman with an empty net. Reaffirmed to keep my monetary support of the league where it's at!
If that play was called correctly, as well as several "goaltender interference" goals that were taken back, Hyman would be in contention for the Rocket right now.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Pickard looked really good last night….showed great positioning on the penalty shot and generally tracked all the shots well.
Skinner has looked really good in his games…quiet, calm and sturdy.
Which leaves me with the questions , “ has Dustin Schultz left the team? Is he helping the tenders find their game? What’s going on?”
That would be a question for all of those who thought he was a large part of our goaltenders problems I suppose.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He has played 124 games in the NHL. He has a 50 game season for a the Avalance. His career average is 2.98 .904. Far from a career AHLer....
He's played 321 AHL games over a 12 year career. Most of his NHL games were as a backup. I would say that defines him more as a career AHLer than anything. I like the way he's playing right now and sincerely hope he keeps it up, but he didn't suddenly become a regular NHLer overnight. If Campbell hadn't shat the bed so badly, he likely never sees the light of day up here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Play Pickard again on Saturday giving Skinner a full 2 week break?

Tough to sit him after a great shut out performance.
Why would you want to "rest" our starter when he just sat for the last game against the worst team in the league, and we're going to be playing a decent team? And Skinner hasn't exactly been overworked to this point and will then have a 9 day rest before the long haul starts. 15 game winning streak or not, we still need all the points we can get. This isn't the time to get sentimental and make decisions based on a feel good moment for a journeyman player.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Why would you want to "rest" our starter when he just sat for the last game against the worst team in the league, and we're going to be playing a decent team? And Skinner hasn't exactly been overworked to this point and will then have a 9 day rest before the long haul starts. 15 game winning streak or not, we still need all the points we can get.

Agreed, I wouldn't start Pickard until what is (I hope) the record breaking game in Anaheim. After that I would want to get him in to a pretty steady rotation in February for sure.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Deciding we should go with a career AHL backup into the most important playoff run of the McDrai era because of a shutout against the worst team in league is a little bit of a stretch to me.

The schedule ramps up soon so he should get quite a few starts. If he remains a rock then sure but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The guy hasn’t even played 10 games.
Did you even watch the game? Our defense is far from world beater and Pickard had to stand on his head for the first half of the game. He is passing the eye test right now and should continue to get chances until he falters.

Also its a bit more than just a SO.. He is on a 4 game win streak.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Hopefully the play of Pickard since coming up means we never have to see Campbell again!

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Hopefully the play of Pickard since coming up means we never have to see Campbell again!
It's eerie how similar their play styles and technique are, but Pickard just has the juice right now. Sounds like he's very well liked in the room as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed, I wouldn't start Pickard until what is (I hope) the record breaking game in Anaheim. After that I would want to get him in to a pretty steady rotation in February for sure.
Something like 5 B2B's in schedule after ASG. Much more compressed part of schedule. For sure we will be seeing Pickard more often than we have.

I'm not tying hopes and dreams to breaking the alltime win streak record. if they do they do. Its a false rainbow to chase. Goal is learning to play to peak and playing a winning game and as Hyman says learning how to keep rolling that winning game.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
He's played 321 AHL games over a 12 year career. Most of his NHL games were as a backup. I would say that defines him more as a career AHLer than anything. I like the way he's playing right now and sincerely hope he keeps it up, but he didn't suddenly become a regular NHLer overnight. If Campbell hadn't shat the bed so badly, he likely never sees the light of day up here.
Roli didn’t get a shot until he was 30 too. Do you consider him an AHL goalie?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Did you even watch the game? Our defense is far from world beater and Pickard had to stand on his head for the first half of the game. He is passing the eye test right now and should continue to get chances until he falters.

Also its a bit more than just a SO.. He is on a 4 game win streak.
lol I was posting during the game. Did I say he doesn’t deserve to get more chances? I said wait until we see more of him during our condensed schedule stretch before we make a decision.

Reactions: Stoneman89 and LTIR

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Roli was the starter for Minnesota for 4 straight years before the Oilers traded for him.
He was a 1a to Manny Fernandez he was never a starter until he came to the oilers. He also played 10 years in the minors before being called up to the Wild.

After double checking it appears he was the de facto starter for a few years but only played 20 games in 05/06 before being dealt to the Oilers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad