Post-Game Talk: Calvin Pick0rd

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Nashville game does worry me. We haven't played a good club for awhile and they have beat us, and will bring their best. Oilers have to be better at establishing and getting to their game quicker in that one.

That is coachspeak
Yeah, I think if we can get by Nashville the team will get the chance to get refocused because their game is slipping, like all teams' does near the end of a winning streak, & will break the record.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He was a 1a to Manny Fernandez he was never a starter until he came to the oilers. He also played 10 years in the minors before being called up to the Wild.
Whatever, splitting hairs. Played nearly 50 % of the games every year. 4 years of proven starts before coming to us. Not sporadic up and down for an entire career. Yah, that's a 1A starter and at the very least, a solid NHL goalie by that point in most books.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just reading through the GDT and see a lot of angry/frustrated posts.

I know these games can be a hard watch but it's the dog days of the season, the Oilers are nearing a long break and they're playing opponents that elicit very little motivation so I'm not concerned about these "playing down to opponent" games. The Oilers are probably running on fumes and are likely a bit bored, I'm sure it's hard getting up for games against the likes of Columbus and Chicago in the dead of winter.

The break is coming at a good time tbh so they can get away for a while to a nice warm spot with their families and refresh the batteries for post-break.
Yeah. I mentioned this a couple times during the game and it seemed to get the fans out of the funk they were in. For some reason theres some kind of expectation that we beat weaker clubs 10-1 when that kind of thing rarely happens and that its not even helpful to do that. The Oilers right now are learning the art of the business like methodical win. With the type of ownzone play and back pressure they are dialing up the Oilers are looking after GA so well, and we inevitably get the goals with our talent.

In fact theres nothing better than 3-0 wins. The team is learning to shut it down consistently. This is winning the right way, not 6-4.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
lol I was posting during the game. Did I say he doesn’t deserve to get more chances? I said wait until we see more of him during our condensed schedule stretch before we make a decision.
hmm my bad... i read it as he is a career AHLer and we need someone legit before the condensed schedule and real opponents.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah. I mentioned this a couple times during the game and it seemed to get the fans out of the funk they were in. For some reason theres some kind of expectation that we beat weaker clubs 10-1 when that kind of thing rarely happens and that its not even helpful to do that. The Oilers right now are learning the art of the business like methodical win. With the type of ownzone play and back pressure they are dialing up the Oilers are looking after GA so well, and we inevitably get the goals with our talent.

In fact theres nothing better than 3-0 wins. The team is learning to shut it down consistently. This is winning the right way, not 6-4.
I see some of the teams up in the standings like Colorado and Vancouver, who will lay some beatings on some garbage teams, and then lose a few. I like the consistency of our games, although I would like to see a few more goals, for sure.

Well this is a hell of a stat

Looks like we're going to abuse that American Thanksgiving stat pretty badly.:D

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
I think it's getting easy to forget how incredible 15 wins in a row is.
From The Hockey Writers

"This spectacular run by the Oilers is quickly becoming one of the greatest stretches of hockey ever seen in NHL history. With each game, they are reaching new milestones and establishing benchmarks that may never be matched, and Thursday was no different."

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
"Yeah the Oilers have won 15 games in a row, but like, anyone can do that if they're playing bottom-feeders like Columbus" - Flames fan
Anyone can do that...

good.jpg

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Chicago played a tight game and Pickard was great.

So Pickard plays next game right?

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Nashville game does worry me. We haven't played a good club for awhile and they have beat us, and will bring their best. Oilers have to be better at establishing and getting to their game quicker in that one.

That is coachspeak
Wins and the streak aside, we would all be blind if we didn’t see poor things creeping into the oilers game. Hopefully they can course correct but it’s hard when you are winning all the time.

They will get their ass kicked eventually. Hopefully we can squeak out a few more wins though

A Korean girl on a car?
I assume it was about the “dab”?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
He's played 321 AHL games over a 12 year career. Most of his NHL games were as a backup. I would say that defines him more as a career AHLer than anything. I like the way he's playing right now and sincerely hope he keeps it up, but he didn't suddenly become a regular NHLer overnight. If Campbell hadn't shat the bed so badly, he likely never sees the light of day up here.
It hasn’t been over night as you point out. And there are alot of goalies that figure it out later because it’s more cerebral.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's played 321 AHL games over a 12 year career. Most of his NHL games were as a backup. I would say that defines him more as a career AHLer than anything. I like the way he's playing right now and sincerely hope he keeps it up, but he didn't suddenly become a regular NHLer overnight. If Campbell hadn't shat the bed so badly, he likely never sees the light of day up here.
Wasn't Roloson a career AHLer and mostly a backup as well until later in his career ?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Way too much Flames talk going on. Starting to think there are some closet Flames fans aboard.
Going to Flames boards, holy crap.

Who cares a lick about the Flames unless we are playing them.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
How many NHL games has he played in the last 7 years?
Maybe he can qualify as a rookie?🙀 joking aside, it bodes good things from the team is making it easier to play in goal to he’s figured out how to play better. As long as the team is winning I won’t be to fast to figure out which. And it wasn’t just the breakaway. There were a couple really good stops. And they happened about 30 feet away from me.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Pickard was once again fantastic. The media and a lot of people keep saying EDM needs a "true back up" but he's been great. His rebound control is excellent and he fights like hell in his net.

In fact, I think he needs more starts. The fact that he's been this good when he plays once every 2 weeks is impressive. I feel like he's being thrown under the bus still and his play speaks otherwise. Would another "true back up" at the deadline help? Sure. But there's no reason to believe Pickard can't continue to do the job. JMO.

Reactions: RegDunlop

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

It’s amusing to me to see Lebrun tweet something like this about the Oilers. I guess that means he no longer thinks it’s “f***ing bullshit” that Woodcroft was fired. We’ve been justifiably mocking Subban lately for his clueless takes on the team but this jackass isn’t much better. Just another Eastern reporter that clearly doesn’t watch the team play, derives all his info from stats or the recycled thoughts of his peers yet for some reason thinks his opinion matters.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
It is only 15 games against bad teams says CP. I guess then why doesn't anyone else do it?
They couldn't even beat Columbus for a one game winning streak.
No worries, they started their own streak.The got 4 L in a row. Their fans think the L stands for lovely. Please don't tell them the difference the hospital will be over ran with attempted suicide

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad